Could you keep a chameleon in your bedroom?

Cornholio

Okay so I'm really wanting a chameleon and I've done all my research on care for them. The only space that's really available right now is in my bedroom. Of course, other people in my household are concerned about keeping it in my room as it could be messy, it could carry salmonella, and my dog and cat won't be allowed to come in anymore, as we want the chameleon to be safe. Does anyone have any solutions to those problems? If I slowly introduce my dog and my cat to the chameleon will they ever leave it alone in its cage? What are the chances of a chameleon carrying salmonella? Do chameleons stink? Thank you!

I have a chameleon in my bedroom, it doesn't stink. The lights are a nice alarm clock, if I'm in bed when they come on during the week I know I'm late haha. My 2 dogs initially caused the chameleon to hide but he has been over that for months now and shows no reaction to them coming into the room, the Viv is on a high table though so his normal perches are all over 6ft off the ground and I think that helps him feel secure. I don't allow my dogs into the reptile room where I have racks with chameleons that would be eye level with them.

I have two cats and neither of them even know the chameleon exists. The chameleon for sure knows about the cats though. My cats could just be used to all the random reptiles walking about my apartment though.

I have both my chameleons in my bedroom. You need good drainage for that and also need to elevate them off the floor by putting them on a stand or dresser, which you should do anyway. All reptiles can carry salmonella, but they first have to have it in their system and only she'd it when they are stressed. I suggest getting your chameleon from a good breeder.

Don't lick your chameleon and you should also be ok on the salmonella...
Well that and just wash your hands after handling/cleaning just to be safe.

The bedroom is a pretty good place as it's a quiet room usually... Well... Not necessary, but on average...

Really the only thing that should smell is the chameleon's excrement. I make sure to spot check for BMs every day. Also dead feeders will smell up the enclosure as well so make sure to clean up any that you see daily.

My chams cage is at the end of my bed. I also have 3 cats that know he exists but do not bother him because he is up high enough that they dont really care, also the mister sound scares out during the day. even when I take him out they dont care but they have grown up with small animals almost all their lives

Back
Top Bottom