Could use poop help!

If she passes a lot of slugs cut back on her feedings so she doesn’t have problems next time. Less than a dozen is fine
How do you know when she is done passing slugs? I keep searching the internet for information, but there is not a lot out there. I am wondering how many days it takes to pass all of the slugs. The first day she passed these, she was having a hard time breathing. I assume it is because she had the slugs pressing up against her lungs..? Shortly after, she pushed out the first slug (the one I posted) and now she has pass about 5 or 6 more as of yesterday. She still acts like she's somewhat uncomfortable. We are scared to give her too much water too, because we don't want her to aspirate. Would you be willing to share some more detailed thoughts on this whole slugs thing? I have really appreciated your help thus far and hope we you have the ability to continue to teach me about slugs! Thank you, in advance.

One other question I have is my little lady can't seem to keep down her food, because she is so bloated. She is pooping just fine and still dropping slugs. She seems very exhausted and we keep offering her water, which she usually accepts, but when she eats the worms, she inevitably seems to throw it up. Is this normal for them while they drop slugs? I am worried about her, but perhaps I am just a paranoid chameleon mom? We are also providing her warm baths and she turns so green in them and closes her eyes. Any thoughts?

One other question I have is my little lady can't seem to keep down her food, because she is so bloated. She is pooping just fine and still dropping slugs. She seems very exhausted and we keep offering her water, which she usually accepts, but when she eats the worms, she inevitably seems to throw it up. Is this normal for them while they drop slugs? I am worried about her, but perhaps I am just a paranoid chameleon mom? We are also providing her warm baths and she turns so green in them and closes her eyes. Any thoughts?
I can’t help you with the bloating and vomiting. Perhaps @JacksJill can offer some help with that. I can tell you that warm baths are not relaxing to her. What we perceive as warm, chams can be scalded by. The whole process of a bath is causing so much stress that she is essentially giving up...which the closed eyes is a sign of.

I can’t help you with the bloating and vomiting. Perhaps @JacksJill can offer some help with that. I can tell you that warm baths are not relaxing to her. What we perceive as warm, chams can be scalded by. The whole process of a bath is causing so much stress that she is essentially giving up...which the closed eyes is a sign of.
Thanks for the information! We will stop giving her baths.

No baths! Just give her water until this is over and only one tiny feeder at a time every other day. Females that have been fed too much during the past months can have more slugs than they have the strength to pass or a large slug can rupture and cause peritonitis, a life threatening inflammation and infection of the abdomen. If you have a vet you should consider an appointment in case she takes a turn for the worse. If she is fine tomorrow cancel the appointment.

No baths! Just give her water until this is over and only one tiny feeder at a time every other day. Females that have been fed too much during the past months can have more slugs than they have the strength to pass or a large slug can rupture and cause peritonitis, a life threatening inflammation and infection of the abdomen. If you have a vet you should consider an appointment in case she takes a turn for the worse. If she is fine tomorrow cancel the appointment.
So...we got her an appointment for tomorrow. We are hoping there will be something they can do for her. She passed ANOTHER slug today and it was quite large. She is very weak and dehydrated at this point. We had to feed her some water and she munched down a worm, with our help. She has not wanted to eat so we shall see how it goes tomorrow. It hurts my heart SO much when she is not feeling good. I feel like she is slipping away and it breaks my heart. It sucks when your animals don't feel good and there is not much you can do for them and/or have the ability to communicate with them.

So...we got her an appointment for tomorrow. We are hoping there will be something they can do for her. She passed ANOTHER slug today and it was quite large. She is very weak and dehydrated at this point. We had to feed her some water and she munched down a worm, with our help. She has not wanted to eat so we shall see how it goes tomorrow. It hurts my heart SO much when she is not feeling good. I feel like she is slipping away and it breaks my heart. It sucks when your animals don't feel good and there is not much you can do for them and/or have the ability to communicate with them.
I am grasping at straws here....she is just sleeping and barely moving. Do you know what the vet could do for her?

At 4:30. She’s just not doing much and I hate to be pessimistic but she’s really slowing down. When they birth these slugs is it common for them to be lethargic for a few days after?
I worked a 12 hour shift last night and this 4:30 time slot is just hanging over my head. I can’t even get a wink of sleep. When I love things, I love them hard and so I am really struggling and information seems very limited

At 4:30. She’s just not doing much and I hate to be pessimistic but she’s really slowing down. When they birth these slugs is it common for them to be lethargic for a few days after?
I know with any female laying takes it out of them. This is why most keepers will do a set food amount and set temps. Not sure how this works with a Jackson though. I know it does make a difference if their husbandry is correct as well with their supplementation.

I wish I could help you more but Jackson's are way outside of my expertise.

Maybe call the vet and see if they can see her sooner? That is what I would try.

Although same as beman I've never had a jacksons and know nothing about slugs.... I wish I knew more. I'm sure someone has already done this but @JacksJill is a jackson's expert

Yes it is common for them to be tired and a bit sluggish but usually it doesn't last long. You should see improvement each day from the last slug passed.
Vomiting or regurgitating their food is not normal.
If you don't want big deadly clutches you have to regulate their intake of food. Females especially, will eat far more that they need. In nature there could be a shortage at anytime. This is not the case in our controlled environment. The girls just don't understand that a good meal is never more than a day or two away. Fat pads in the pelvis can make passing slugs, eggs or babies more difficult in any chameleon species. I never want my girls to have more than 12 and adjust accordingly if they have more.

Back
Top Bottom