Cork bark

Johnny909

Hello everyone,

I put my hands on a pretty big piece of cork bark today, 4 x 2.

How do I "clean" it, it doesn't fit in my oven, (can you even bake cork?) It is -29c right now (-20c). Would leaving it outside for a few days kill any possible insects that could be in there, could it damage the bark?

There was spider web cocoons in the holes! I sure hope they are Canadian spiders :eek:

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks!,

Hello everyone,

I put my hands on a pretty big piece of cork bark today, 4 x 2.

How do I "clean" it, it doesn't fit in my oven, (can you even bake cork?) It is -29c right now (-20c). Would leaving it outside for a few days kill any possible insects that could be in there, could it damage the bark?

There was spider web cocoons in the holes! I sure hope they are Canadian spiders :eek:

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks!,

If you want to kill bacteria, mold or other microrganisms I would think scrubbing and saturating it with a hot water/bleach solution (1 part bleach, 9 parts water) and then rinsing it until you can't smell bleach would do. If there are boring insects in the bark itself freezing should kill them. You could also try solarization (wrapping it in clear plastic and putting it out in full sun so it overheats and kills stuff), but would have to wait until summer.

Thanks for your reply,

Ok then, i will freeze and bleach. I was afraid the freezing could separate it due to water expansion.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom