Cooking Mulberry Chow

Bernie

Hi folks.

I've just made my first attempt to cook Mulberry chow (powder). I think I failed.

My microwaved nuked it, literally. I followed the instructions provided as per my microwave power (800w). Luckily I only went with a small amount of powder just in case I messed it up (50g).

I could try again, but go for less time. However, just wondered if anyone can tell me the best way to make it up? I dont trust my super-nuker-microwave.

Thanks.

hot water.
mix with powder. put in microwave for 2 minutes.

let sit.

it shoudl turn into a solid.

did it have direcctions>

Thanks. I'll try again for 2mins this time.

My house stinks now after cremating the last lot! I'm now in bad books with the other half

Does a ratio of 1 : 2.7 sound right?

Powder : water

ummmmm. i honsetly dont know. I just follow the directions on the silver package.

I can check my chow packs when i get home. thgouh, it will probably be way past awake time for you. Its only 420 pm here in the US.

ummmmm. i honsetly dont know. I just follow the directions on the silver package.

I can check my chow packs when i get home. thgouh, it will probably be way past awake time for you. Its only 420 pm here in the US.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the instructions provided but reduce the time in the microwave to 2mins.

I'll wait until the other half goes to bed this time though to avoid getting my ears bitten off ;-)

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the instructions provided but reduce the time in the microwave to 2mins.

I'll wait until the other half goes to bed this time though to avoid getting my ears bitten off ;-)

haha ok.

ill post the directions when i get home from work. you can just come check this thread later.

Thanks. One last question....

How much powder do you cook up at one time using the above method?

I just made mine up a little at a time using boiled water and I got the most worms to pupation than ever had before. I put two heaped tablespoons into a glass bowl and added boiling water from the kettle. I found I had better results by making it more on the runny side then adding more powder to thicken it. It is easier to add powder to a runny mix than it is to add water to a hardened mix! It also hardens up a bit when it's cooled down too.

Nope! I just use boiling water and then let the chow cool before putting it in the fridge in a sealed tub. It is discussed further in this old thread of mine - I asked if there was an easier way of just making up a little at a time and it was sandrachameleon (iirc) that suggested mixing a little at a time with boiling water.
Here's a link to my thread - particulary post number 12 on the second page! https://www.chameleonforums.com/mulberry-chow-help-please-60813/

I do essentially what Lily does except I use the water tap from my espresso machine. The waters around 240degs until it hits the air then it cool to around 212. I then mix up the powder, if it still seems a bit thin when cooled just throw it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds and it will dry it out some. Just recently I tried leaves for the first time and it's amazing how many leaves large silkworms can eat.

I follow Lily's instructions too with great success, except I microwave it less about 20 seconds. :)

Back
Top Bottom