Contest Theme Suggestions

I think a genus specific contest would be cool. I see a lot of Veiled and Panther winners, when there are other species that get great pictures in, that just don't get the amount of votes that Panthers and Veileds get.

Furcifer Month
Trioceros Month
Kinyongia Month
Chamaeleo Month
Rhamphoeleon Month
Brookesia Month
Calumma Month
Bradypodion Month
Rieppeleon Month (probably could fit them in with Rhamphoeleon)

Just an Idea

Last edited:
NO PANTHERS

NO VEILEDS

Best enclosure

Best Free range

Hatch-lings only

Best horns

Mellers only

Parson only

Triceros only

Pygs only

Kinyonga only

Cham food pics only (insect pics)

best Cham on a person

Funniest cham

NO PANTHERS

NO VEILEDS

Best enclosure

Best Free range

Hatch-lings only

Best horns

Mellers only

Parson only

Triceros only

Pygs only

Kinyonga only

best Cham on a person

Funniest cham

While I agree with specific genus months, I think going to specific species would limit a lot more people than genus. But I like the idea.

NO PANTHERS

NO VEILEDS

Best enclosure

Best Free range

Hatch-lings only

Best horns

Mellers only

Parson only

Triceros only

Pygs only

Kinyonga only

best Cham on a person

Funniest cham

Why no veileds or panthers :confused: They make great pics too!

I like the best horns idea.

One suggestion I have is to not list the names of the people submitting the photos. That creates a bias. Say for example a moderator's photo is in the running naturally people may go for that.

I think a genus specific contest would be cool. I see a lot of Veiled and Panther winners, when there are other species that get great pictures in, that just don't get the amount of votes that Panthers and Veileds get.

Furcifer Month
Trioceros Month
Kinyongia Month
Chamaeleo Month
Rhamphoeleon Month
Brookesia Month
Calumma Month
Bradypodion Month
Rieppeleon Month (probably could fit them in with Rhamphoeleon)

I concur with you that would be a neat poll.

What is the real advantage to themes? I've always thought that an open contest would allow the photographer the freedom to come up with the best photo given their unique circumstances. Do we need an 'eating theme' to know that they make great photos? Forcing the photographer into a specific category limits their options and has the potential to stifle creativity.

All that being said, I'm not completely against themes. Even though participation usually decreases by over 50%, they can be fun. They can also be useful when considering the development of the annual site calendar, where offering a variety of species and behaviors is ideal. I hope the eating/hunting theme next month brings some excellent photos. Another good use for themes is to do something that normally would not be allowed, such as the LOL theme we did a couple years ago.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/november-08-photo-contest-17307/

What is the real advantage to themes? I've always thought that an open contest would allow the photographer the freedom to come up with the best photo given their unique circumstances. Do we need an 'eating theme' to know that they make great photos? Forcing the photographer into a specific category limits their options and has the potential to stifle creativity.

All that being said, I'm not completely against themes. Even though participation usually decreases by over 50%, they can be fun. They can also be useful when considering the development of the annual site calendar, where offering a variety of species and behaviors is ideal. I hope the eating/hunting theme next month brings some excellent photos. Another good use for themes is to do something that normally would not be allowed, such as the LOL theme we did a couple years ago.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/november-08-photo-contest-17307/

While i agree with what you said Brad, i think themes have the advantage of comparing apples with apples. This way, it is easier for rarer species that are less popular to win. It also gives the opportunity to do a little change, to try new things! If there is maybe 4 theme contests, the 8 other months people can use their creativity as much as they can! And you can't say that people won't be creative with any given theme, as it is possible for them to do something new with a few rules to follow! ;)

My bottom line is: themes are great, but no more than half of the time. :)

How about a "tail" theme? Lots of people take pictures of the curled up tails of their chameleons. (I realize this may exclude those with stubby tailed species)

I think there was already a tail pic contest. Why not a contest of our other animals like dogs and cats etc..?

I think there was already a tail pic contest. Why not a contest of our other animals like dogs and cats etc..?

Cause this is the Chameleon Forums, not the other pets forums :p aha.
I think we should do lol chams again. It was pretty cool. :)

I think we should go for a 'Chameleons in funny positions' photo contest. I have some crazy pics of my chams swinging from the roof of me cage by only their tales.

Just a suggestion! :)

lol chams?

December may be too soon for a theme that requires such creativity. I'd like to do a theme for December or January.

I am not sure if this has been done or mentioned, but how bout an extreme photoshopped theme ie; you know messing with saturation, crazy filters like poster edging, changing backgrounds and what not.

I like the idea of the sleeping colors theme as mine produces some awesome colors and I might have a chance of getting my photo in! lol!

Back
Top Bottom