Considering Veiled Chameleons, any advice?

Natt

Hey,

I've been drooling over these things in the pet store where I get stuff for my snake, they seem so interactive and adorable.

Is there anything I should know before I buy them? I'm going to get two because they seem to enjoy the company. I've never had any reptiles before my snake and I've only had her for about 6 weeks, so feel free to be as condescending as you like because I don't know much.

Only get one unless you plan on having two enclosures. They do not like the company of other chameleons.. One will end up not thriving because of dominance issues...

Also, do a lot of research before you bring one home. This forum is a great place for information and help when needed..:)

Hey,

I've been drooling over these things in the pet store where I get stuff for my snake, they seem so interactive and adorable.

Is there anything I should know before I buy them? I'm going to get two because they seem to enjoy the company. I've never had any reptiles before my snake and I've only had her for about 6 weeks, so feel free to be as condescending as you like because I don't know much.

There are sticky messages at the tops of these forums that should get you started with the basics. But, please consider that chams are NOT what I would call "interactive". They are not really social beings, so don't expect one to care much about you one way or the other. Some are pretty tolerant of their humans but others want nothing to do with you. They are a look-but-no-touch type of pet. If you hope for something that does like to spend time with you consider a bearded dragon.

There's no reason not to consider buying a cham if they fascinate you...just do your reading, assemble everything you'll need to care for one properly (including tracking down a herp savvy vet!), and accept the likelihood that it won't want to be friends.

I just got my first chameleon and he is not the friendly sort. But he is very interesting to watch. There is a lot of good info on this site, be sure to read up before getting one. They can be rather complicated to care for. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom