Concerned for my little guy

Jamelon

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Nosy be, sex:unknown, 2 months, 4 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Havent handled it yet.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Pin head crickets, fruit flies. He eats about 6-7 crickets and 4-5 fruit flies a day, hes already eaten 7 crickets this morning. Im putting peices of orange in with the crickets and they are eating it all up.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Sticky tongue, outdoor and indoor, one feeding w/d3 the rest w/o d3

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist and have a dripper. I mist at least 2-3 times a day depending on the humidity i try to keep it about 40%. Ive seen my cham drink a couple of times but each time not for very long.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He pooped yesterday or the day before, urate was partially white/orange and the rest dark brown. I know orange means hes dehydrated a bit.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I bought him at the canadian reptile breeders expo on saturday, around 11am, was home around 2pm. He pooped while in the container and the urate was bright orange and the rest brown and very very moist. From reading on the forum i knew he was really dehydrated, his eyes arent sunken or anything.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 16x16x20

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb, and a 60w heat bulb

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The floor temp is about 78 and the basking temp ranges from 85-87

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I try to keep the humidity level about 40% this morning it was between 65-70% I maintain these levels by misting. I have a zoomed hydrometer.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I dont have any live plants in the enclosure at the time since they are a bit too big for the cage, i just bought a money tree so i was going to stick that in there soon, just have to wash it off first and get some rocks to cover the soil.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Right now its in the corner of my room next to the window, the little guy seems to like looking outside from his cage. The cage is on a table.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Ontario, Canada

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Ive seen him with his eyes closed during the day, and from what ive read thats a bad sign. I dont know whether its from him being dehydrated or just the stress of the new environment and stuff. Any help would be awesome:D

ok he just pooped again and the urate is bright orange again! :( any suggestions? should i give him a shower?

???

Just wanted to say good luck with your "little guy" I know how excited you were when you got him, I don't want to give you any advise because I too am a first time owner , so I will leave that up to the more experienced. But wanted to support you and say good luck, hope things improve!
:eek:

Just wanted to say good luck with your "little guy" I know how excited you were when you got him, I don't want to give you any advise because I too am a first time owner , so I will leave that up to the more experienced. But wanted to support you and say good luck, hope things improve!
:eek:

Thanks alot i really appreciate it :D

Is the UV light tube (18") or coil, and the 60 watt heat lamp is it a "heat lamp" or a regular household light bulb?

i wouldnt be too worried about the urates as he was at the pet show and probably in a travel cup for a bit. as for the eyes... i have no idea.

thats why i didnt base my choice on the cheapest price. i knew i was getting a healthy cham from chroma

i wouldnt be too worried about the urates as he was at the pet show and probably in a travel cup for a bit. as for the eyes... i have no idea.

thats why i didnt base my choice on the cheapest price. i knew i was getting a healthy cham from chroma

Not to mention you can see the sires from Harry too.

I would get some phoenix worms if you want to boost hydration. And when you mist are you getting him good? Misting them is a way they clean their eyes. He may have something irritating it. A shower could also help with that. He could be adjusting too since he's so little a shower may not be the best.

Good luck

this has nothing to do with his eyes or the ? at hand but I noticed you said you were going to put a money tree in his enclosure, you may wanna search it because I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure I've read on here more than once that money trees are toxic to chams.

Is the UV light tube (18") or coil, and the 60 watt heat lamp is it a "heat lamp" or a regular household light bulb?

Its a tube not coil, and its a heat lamp not a house hold light bulb.

I would get some phoenix worms if you want to boost hydration. And when you mist are you getting him good? Misting them is a way they clean their eyes. He may have something irritating it. A shower could also help with that. He could be adjusting too since he's so little a shower may not be the best.

Good luck

Would phoenix worms be too big for him right now? And when i mist he runs away lol, but i try to mist him as much as possible even if hes running away i mist for a couple of minutes but he usually just hides behind some leaves.

this has nothing to do with his eyes or the ? at hand but I noticed you said you were going to put a money tree in his enclosure, you may wanna search it because I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure I've read on here more than once that money trees are toxic to chams.

Alright will do mike:D

You should be able to just use a regular house bulb instead of the heat bulb. I am actually useing a 40 watt and it is plenty warm. What are you measuring your temps with?

I would say mist him as much as you can. That will help with his hydration and with getting any eye issues hopefully resolved. Try using a bit of warm not hot mist and use the finest spray you can get.

Do you have access to very small silk worms? They will help hydrate him. Just stay on top of the mistings and let us know how he is. Even a small pothos will help with his humidity. And I agree a money tree is not a good choice.

Last edited:
Pheonix worms come in very small sizes. I was able to feed them to a 3.5 month Old but it's your call on what to get for your Cham since I'm not sure how big it is. Shop online most worm sites show the measurements. He should be able to handle em now if not then soon. The chams grow really fast. Otherwise you might want to get a fecal testing done if he continues to act up.

Do u think he's sleeping? That could be stressed cause only because he's so younge. The pet shop around me had the smallest veileds for sale & they were sleeping during the day & they said that was fine for his environment.

And when i mist he runs away lol, but i try to mist him as much as possible even if hes running away i mist for a couple of minutes but he usually just hides behind some leaves.

My chameleons have always hid from the mist. But I have noticed that if I just give them a good soak and get the "rain" effect going on, then leave her alone for a while when I come back she is always slurping, but will stop when I am in the room or she can see me.

Just make sure your little guy is getting lots of water and see if you can sneak up on him/her drinking.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Nosy be, sex:unknown, 2 months, 4 days

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Havent handled it yet.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Pin head crickets, fruit flies. He eats about 6-7 crickets and 4-5 fruit flies a day, hes already eaten 7 crickets this morning. Im putting peices of orange in with the crickets and they are eating it all up.
based on his age, you are not feeding him enough. i dont know how big your guy is, but he could probably take down small crickets, or the size between pin heads and smalls. you need to be feeding him atleast 15-17 a day imo, hes a growing boy

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Sticky tongue, outdoor and indoor, one feeding w/d3 the rest w/o d3
a cham at this age can still make due with 2-3 x a month cal D3 and 2-3 x a month multivitamin. some use sticky tounge, but i use rep-cal for all suppliments

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist and have a dripper. I mist at least 2-3 times a day depending on the humidity i try to keep it about 40%. Ive seen my cham drink a couple of times but each time not for very long.
try and keep the humidity around 50-55% and have a dripper running

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He pooped yesterday or the day before, urate was partially white/orange and the rest dark brown. I know orange means hes dehydrated a bit.
your goal is to get the urates white right now. at the moment whitish/orange is boarder line ok, but offer him water all day to ensure he drinks

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
I bought him at the canadian reptile breeders expo on saturday, around 11am, was home around 2pm. He pooped while in the container and the urate was bright orange and the rest brown and very very moist. From reading on the forum i knew he was really dehydrated, his eyes arent sunken or anything.
like the other poster said, the expo deffinately put some stress on him, and it deffinately did dehydrate him. its only tuesday, hes still unwinding

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage, 16x16x20

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 uvb bulb, and a 60w heat bulb
im glad you got a tube, but i would switch the heat bulb to a lower wattage incandecent like a 40W

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The floor temp is about 78 and the basking temp ranges from 85-87
hes a youngin still and i would personally have the basking area 80-82, the could be a factor in keeping him dehydrated as well

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I try to keep the humidity level about 40% this morning it was between 65-70% I maintain these levels by misting. I have a zoomed hydrometer.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I dont have any live plants in the enclosure at the time since they are a bit too big for the cage, i just bought a money tree so i was going to stick that in there soon, just have to wash it off first and get some rocks to cover the soil.
try and find a place with 2 or 4'' pots. you can also try calling a place near me called "Colasanti's Tropical Gardens, they have a website with a phone number. i buy all of my plants from this place and they are very inexpensive. they are also a tourist attraction, so they might be able to do something in the lines of shipping to you. i know they have 4'' for 2.99 and it is a vast selection of ficus, scheffleras and more.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Right now its in the corner of my room next to the window, the little guy seems to like looking outside from his cage. The cage is on a table.
the colder months are comming in, i would personally move him away from the window if possible. in direct sunlight even in the cold, will still creat unessecary heat, also too, you want to avoid as many drafts as possible

Location - Where are you geographically located? Ontario, Canada
i like this ;)

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
Ive seen him with his eyes closed during the day, and from what ive read thats a bad sign. I dont know whether its from him being dehydrated or just the stress of the new environment and stuff. Any help would be awesome:D
in my personal honest opinion, i believe he is just a little bit malnurioushed and dehydrated. just keep a closer eye on him, and suppliment every feeding with plain calcium. make sure his gutloads are well, and you are keeping your feeder bins maintained. good luck with this guy, i know you'll do it :)

You should be able to just use a regular house bulb instead of the heat bulb. I am actually useing a 40 watt and it is plenty warm. What are you measuring your temps with?

Ok ill go out tomorrow to canadian tire and pick up a 40w incandescent bulb and try it out

I would say mist him as much as you can. That will help with his hydration and with getting any eye issues hopefully resolved. Try using a bit of worm not hot mist and use the finest spray you can get.

Do you have access to very small silk worms? They will help hydrate him. Just stay on top of the and let us know how he is. Even a small photos will help with his humidity. And I agree a money tree is not a good choice.mistings

maybe i asked the pet store near me and they dont order silk worms very often, ive seen them there sometimes but only on rare occasions, they do have hornworms though, not sure the size. Would those be ok if they are small? I asked them about phoenix worms and they said that they could order me some so they might be able to order some silk worms for me ill give them a call and see.

Pheonix worms come in very small sizes. I was able to feed them to a 3.5 month Old but it's your call on what to get for your Cham since I'm not sure how big it is. Shop online most worm sites show the measurements. He should be able to handle em now if not then soon. The chams grow really fast. Otherwise you might want to get a fecal testing done if he continues to act up.

Do u think he's sleeping? That could be stressed cause only because he's so younge. The pet shop around me had the smallest veileds for sale & they were sleeping during the day & they said that was fine for his environment.

I think hes sleeping but im not sure, both of his eyes are closed but maybe its just the stress, thats what im trying to figure out, was just reading before that chams sleeping during the day is a bad sign so i was getting worried :p I just asked the pet store near me and they said that they could order me some phoenix worms

My chameleons have always hid from the mist. But I have noticed that if I just give them a good soak and get the "rain" effect going on, then leave her alone for a while when I come back she is always slurping, but will stop when I am in the room or she can see me.

Just make sure your little guy is getting lots of water and see if you can sneak up on him/her drinking.

Ive seen him drink a couple of times but its like only one gulp not for an extended period of time. He might be scared of the dripper because i just have it dripping through the cage, should i attach the line to it and put it in his cage that way?

Thnx veiledowner87 for all the info ill try everything you said :D Ill take a look at the places website and see if i can get a small plant for him.

Thanks alot everyone :D

i doubt the dripper is scaring him. he will need some time to settle in and then you will be able to dictate what is normal for him. i was very worried about everything when i first got my guy, now i know how he acts.

i also have only caught my guy drinking a couple of times as well. i used to sit and try and watch, but now i just fill his dripper after mistings and let him do his thing without me there. im sure he just needs some time to adjust to his cage and learn where the water constantly drips as i'm sure whatever setup you have is much different than what he was housed in before the expo.

i doubt the dripper is scaring him. he will need some time to settle in and then you will be able to dictate what is normal for him. i was very worried about everything when i first got my guy, now i know how he acts.

i also have only caught my guy drinking a couple of times as well. i used to sit and try and watch, but now i just fill his dripper after mistings and let him do his thing without me there. im sure he just needs some time to adjust to his cage and learn where the water constantly drips as i'm sure whatever setup you have is much different than what he was housed in before the expo.

how long do you keep the dripper on for? should i keep it on for the whole day since my guy is dehydrated and then turn it off at night?

Please excuse me if I am asking something here that has already been addressed.

Who sold you an 8 week old cham? Was it a pet store from Guelph?

Is your 60W heat lamp a white light incandescent or a red heat bulb? If it is a red one , your cham may have a confused day/night cycle.

If you are only using minerall, you dont have a vitamin supplement other than the random vitamin nutrition from the crix gutload. Minerall is calcium with other trace minerals and the I formula has D3 also. But you are missing the Vit A and other essential vitamins.

I'd recommend Zoomed Reptivite with D3 and alternate with calcium without D3 every other day.

Please excuse me if I am asking something here that has already been addressed.

Who sold you an 8 week old cham? Was it a pet store from Guelph?

Is your 60W heat lamp a white light incandescent or a red heat bulb? If it is a red one , your cham may have a confused day/night cycle.

If you are only using minerall, you dont have a vitamin supplement other than the random vitamin nutrition from the crix gutload. Minerall is calcium with other trace minerals and the I formula has D3 also. But you are missing the Vit A and other essential vitamins.

I'd recommend Zoomed Reptivite with D3 and alternate with calcium without D3 every other day.

Hey Harry! I actually bought it at the Expo on the weekend weekend, bought it from Global Exotic pets, i didnt get his name though. My 60w heat bulb is white light not red. and i have a vitamin i forgot to put it up there. Its zoomeds reptivite w/o d3 so should i use that in conjunction with the indoor formula?

Back
Top Bottom