COMPETES ACT / LACEY

sarie

alright so i keep hearing about this new law that’s going to prohibit any exotic species from crossing state borders. what does this mean for mine and other’s reptiles? i read that a “white and black list” will be created and those on the black list are not allowed to cross state borders, travel for vets, or even move to another state.

i have a chameleon and bearded dragon and if i ever decide to move this can affect them. i read that it doesn’t matter if the state you move to is not suitable for the species to become invasive—as long as it can invade ANYWHERE in the united states, you cannot cross state lines. they are basically banning reptiles. like what do i do if this gets approved?

alright so i keep hearing about this new law that’s going to prohibit any exotic species from crossing state borders. what does this mean for mine and other’s reptiles? i read that a “white and black list” will be created and those on the black list are not allowed to cross state borders, travel for vets, or even move to another state.

i have a chameleon and bearded dragon and if i ever decide to move this can affect them. i read that it doesn’t matter if the state you move to is not suitable for the species to become invasive—as long as it can invade ANYWHERE in the united states, you cannot cross state lines. they are basically banning reptiles. like what do i do if this gets approved?
I was wondering the same thing. I think the most we can do is vote/protest against it.

Last edited:
alright so i keep hearing about this new law
It's not a law... yet. It has to pass the Senate, and be signed by the President first. Not only can a lot happen between now & then, I'm skeptical of some of the interpretations proffered.

Please read the thread.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lacey-act-amendments.186229/

Particularly Post #28—a voice of reason/sanity. 🤪
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/lacey-act-amendments.186229/#post-1719352

For fans of Schoolhouse Rock...

There is a decent chance this will not pass the Senate. If it does sneak through there is another decent chance it will not or cannot be enforced. Also there are always loop holes and work arounds and possible appeals.
+1.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom