Lacey Act Amendments

I just heard about this yesterday on a you tube video by Tarantula Kat. Sounds scary but most of us won’t be taking our chams across state lines. It will mostly effect breeders I suspect.

I talked about this issue last night with Sacramento Aquarium Society. They are alarmed about what it means for the aquarium hobby.

I am alarmed what this amendment to the Lacey act means to the reptile hobby. As if chameleon species are listed as not to be shipped species across state lines. That means I have to buy all my chameleons from California now. That means there is no shipping from Texas, Florida, Chameleon Forum members from out of state and etc.. anymore.

The one thing I want to hear about is the positives about this amendment. Why is this amendment passing through congress? Is this amendment just a way to transfer more power of listing problem pet species to state Fish and Game agencies?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Indeed this will very well destroy the exotics hobby, you want feeders? Too bad better hope someone in your state has enough to give you a starter population.

Moving with your birds? Nope can't do that either. Want a chameleon from a reputable breeder, better be in their state. This will be an unmitigated disaster.

Moving in general, better be prepared to rehome your collection if your traveling across state lines.

We had better take this seriously and start by RESPECTFULLY contacting our state senators and explain why this bill should be vetoed.

And those of us in the relevant states need to vote the offending politicians who proposed this. out of office

@DeremensisBlue

Last edited:
I don’t live in the states, but this does seem like an unreasonable regulation. I am curious to see how this will affect chain pet stores, as I’m sure they don’t have suppliers in each state… perhaps some stores no longer carrying certain exotics could be a “positive” if this bill passes.

Thankfully no similar laws are being considered up in Canada, but that may just be because not much can survive wild up here.

I’m calling, emailing and sending letters by mail. I have always bought feeders from out of state. I have used out of state vets and have traveled with chameleons. All of my reptiles that I didn’t hatch are from another state.
This is so sad! We just got out of Florida because of their awful reptile laws. I’m about ready to move out of the country.

Last edited:
I realize it's probably an unpopular opinion but I don't believe in bringing politics into hobbies. Generally laws are passed for good reasons, and if the best thing to do as a society has a diminishing effect on the hobby we love, then so be it. We should accept this.

This is the same effect that politics has on the firearm hobby, you have to be a right wing second ammendment nutcase to be welcomed in the community and enjoy what currently exists.

In all seriousness know your rights. My exotic vet is out of state. It will be illegal for me to go see them. The people on this platform should hear about this.

It will also be illegal for an out of state vet to treat him and a vet is not going to treat and risk loosing their license. The same with chameleon breeders and bug farms. They are not going to risk going to jail and paying a hefty fine to ship us feeders or an animal.

I read the ammendment. I didn’t see anything about banning Crickets or Dubias. I also believe we will still be able to ship chameleons. It’s about introducing new species. I still think it’s egregious that the act was folded into a 2,900 page document hoping it would be overlooked.

I just sent a comment/message to my California representatives on the PIJAC link.

The problems this bill would cause due to receiving feeder insects and breeding programs (moving specimens) from out of state that are not addressed means this bill requires revisions. I think the idea of this bill is to give more authority to state Fish and Game Authorities with regards to exotic species and limit the spread of invasive species. This bill is not there yet.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

From the original article posted above -- "deceptively hidden within a bill advertised as an economic and national defense initiative were Lacey Act amendments" JMO Deception is always a red flag for a group. Just be truthful and not use trickery by playing with words.

Quick example: Everyone gets 1,400 dollars. Then 30 pages later there is an amendment- If you received 1,400 dollars you will owe 1,500. Just wanted to make it easy. My money was spent before reading the next sentence. Please if your full of logic don't slam my comments-- reality is not always logical. Thanks in advance.

For those that don't know:
The Lacey Act If you really want to know. (y)

https://www.fws.gov/international/laws-treaties-agreements/us-conservation-laws/lacey-act.html

"U.S. or Indian law, or 2"and does "or 2" mean both? JMHO legal language can be complicated.

Also: The term "injurious" needs to be defined since it does not need to be injurious to humans but could mean economically as in agricultural. So--- I DON'T KNOW!!!!! But fun to think and brainstorm.

Personally, did not know there were Indian Laws

From a neutral standpoint (at the moment) it seems the laws are not being followed properly and in time need to be amended. I do not work for a government agency dealing with illegal activity and the transport of animals, so can't comment on what they are finding.

JMO- At one point there might be a time we have to register our animals like in Florida with the big snakes and others places for other animals (not 100% sure).
Dogs and cats are brought-up in most of the discussions and are not in the Lacey Act.. My guess would be - In some states and cities they are already supposed to be registered. JMO
Great topic

Back
Top Bottom