Lacey Act Amendments

Just one issue I take with Barczyk's video is that he says the reason for this is that the government wants as much power over you as possible, which is not the reason and completely unhelpful. Most people in congress are likely completely unaware of this. There are real perpetrators to this and they are the "animals rights" groups (PETA etc.), mentioned in Kaufman's video with Phil Goss and the McVeighs. The government is just a tool that they use to implement their vision, by lobbying certain politicians. The end goal of these groups is to outlaw pets (and human interaction with animals in general) and they will even actively work against conservation efforts. The root cause of these things need to be known, hence why I initially asked about the origin of it. The politicians who accepted PETA bribes to sneak in amendments need to be named and shamed, or at least need to know that taking these positions will be a liability to their reelections. And the politicians who know nothing about this (almost all of them) need to hear our side, which is why USARK is asking us to contact our senators. Ryan gave the example of completely changing his senator's mind. We can do the same with regular people too. If you know anyone in these groups that support anti-pet ideologies (weird, I know), it would probably be helpful to educate/deprogram them, and that money donated to these groups causes genuine harm in the world. I think this kind of grassroots activity will be needed in the long run. We certainly need more preventative measures, so we're not scrambling at the last minute with the amendment getting so far.

From what I know of this guy in the video, he’s a bad example for responsible reptile keeping lol.

Any update on this Lacey act thing? Since I’ve been out of the hobby this is the first I’m hearing of it!
As far as I know, this is the latest info - taken from the USARK fb page

1652670641717.png

Last edited:
From what I understand the only possible “reasoning” they have for doing this is to try and lower the amount of invasive species. This is the only reason I could think of, but it still seems like so much of a stretch.

Things like red eared sliders, burmese pythons, and tegus can become invasive and drive our native populations when people let their pets go when they get too big or they get tired of them.

I spoke with the SC herpetologist last year and he said the state would likely ban tegus as pets.

I don’t agree with this bill. I fear it will severely limit our freedom and only punish good exotic pet owners.

However from my knowledge, this could be a possible reason behind it.

From what I understand the only possible “reasoning” they have for doing this is to try and lower the amount of invasive species. This is the only reason I could think of, but it still seems like so much of a stretch.

Things like red eared sliders, burmese pythons, and tegus can become invasive and drive our native populations when people let their pets go when they get too big or they get tired of them.

I spoke with the SC herpetologist last year and he said the state would likely ban tegus as pets.

I don’t agree with this bill. I fear it will severely limit our freedom and only punish good exotic pet owners.

However from my knowledge, this could be a possible reason behind it.
There is more information about this amendment that was removed on the links on this thread and the link I recently posted.

This amendment was supposed to allow government officials to more effectively regulate the trade in exotic species. As well all these species would be considered invasive if they were released into USA ecosystems not just some invasive species. However the ammendment is to prevent ecological disasters from happening as seen in Florida and to prevent other problems such as conserving threatened and endangered ecosystems and species.

However the way this amendment was written this bill would not allow the shipping of feeder insects and exotic animals across state lines. Plus the this amendment would not allow the associate management and cooperation of breeding programs for endangered species in private group programs, to move endanereged species across state lines and out of the country. Those two issues about Endagered species programs and feeder insects issues alone ment this ammendment required much revision. The later hindering breeding programs for endangered species would actually harm threatened and endangered species and ecosystem conservation the way this amendment was written.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom