Communist Homeowners Associations

TylerStewart

Right Wing Extremist
Site Sponsor
Anybody else dealing with a homeowners association they can't stand? I wanna go burn down their office building sometimes.

Anybody else dealing with a homeowners association they can't stand? I wanna go burn down their office building sometimes.

Well-right now I am hoping our HOA does something about a house around the corner that almost every night has 25 MONSTER TRUCKS parked up and down the street and all of the people partying down in the garage. :mad:

Here's today's letter:

Steve,
We got a letter today informing us that we need to clear the weeds in our lawn, with a threat of a fine if we don't get the issue taken care of. We thought this was strange considering we don't have a lawn, and the few weeds we had in our front yard are gone and have been gone for some time. We also thought it was strange when every morning as I leave for work, I look at the massive collection of weeds that YOU, and the good for nothing management company that we pay each month have let accumulate at the end of my street, XXXXXXXXXX Ave. The rocks in this area have become full of leaves, dirt and trash that blows there from the neighborhood. The trees behind my wall (your trees, along XXXXXXX and XXXXX) are planted right up against my wall, leaking water into my yard, discoloring the wall, and dropping leaves and pine needles into my yard that I end up cleaning up. Was there not a 5 foot rule in place for us planting trees? Does this not apply to you also?
This is not just me, everyone on my street that I have talked to is wondering what good our monthly payment is doing if you cant even take care of these basic things. You send us letters about our weeds or our trash cans being left out too long, and you take our money but aren't holding up your end of the deal. Are we able to give you 10 days to address these issues before a fine is imposed? Just wanted some clarification on that.

Tyler Stewart

So much BS with these guys, and so little getting done.

Get 'em Tyler! Sounds like they are making up things to appear that they are doing something!

Tyler I feel your pain. The chairmen of the homeowners committee in my neighborhood drive me nuts. Theres a couple of them that will drive around the neighborhood, multiple times a day just being nosy ass neighbors. They'll even slow down to an almost complete stop if they are taking a closer look of something in my yard. You should see the looks they give me when I have 2 dozen or more cages pulled out into the side yard (similar to the looks I received when I bought like 20 pothos plants from walmart, and carted them out to my car). I was kinda the trouble maker kid of the neighborhood when I was younger, so they keep a sharp out for me at all time, and even though its been like 10 years since Ive cause any trouble.

Dance naked in the window next time they drive by snopping. That'll stop them. Well, unless you're hot, in which case ths is a bad idea. Actually, its just a bad idea period.

Looks like you will definitely be getting much more attention from Steve in the future. Let us know if he takes care of those pine needles.

HOAs are the bane of everyone's existence down here.

I can't stand them, no one can. They pick on one person most of the time so it's pretty funny, though.

I've never been in one so have no clue. But how can they impose fines on you or really tell you what to do with your property. It is yours after all to do with as you please. I read somewhere a similar situation and the advice given was to tell them to STFU. Toss their "fine" in the trash. They really have no legal rights over you. They are not a government agency after all.

I don't have high hopes for the pine needles being cleaned up. The Christmas lights being up too long was just one of many other past issues we've dealt with. The associations do have their good points if they're run right... I mean, if someone parks an old beat up car in the street for a month, I would hope that they would do something about it. But to send you a letter because your garbage cans aren't returned to the garage within 4 hours of the trash being picked up is stupid. Funny thing is, they'll take a photo of the offense, then send you an 8x10" photo of the problem (in case you don't believe them), then they try to charge you $3 for the photo.

I had torn down a block wall on the side of my house to start some yardwork about 2 years ago (I was driving in and out with a tractor). They sent me a letter to stop all construction on my yard until I submitted a plan on what I was attempting to do with my yard, approved by each neighbor to the side of me, across from me, and behind me. Since I live on the end of a dead end street, nobody across from me or behind me, I had only one next door neighbor. Nobody submitted a plan to me on what they wanted to do, and since it was a stupid request, I just ignored it. Then a few days later I get a letter telling me I have 7 days to get the wall back up OR ELSE. My response to them was "since you just told me to stop all construction on my property, I am unable to fill your request to get the wall back up. Sorry." I finished my work at my own pace, and put the wall back up when I was done.

I've been extremely smart a$$ to them at every opportunity, which has been many, and honestly I get a kick out of it. I have fun with it when it's so easy to make them look like idiots. I do know that by living there, I agree to maintain some standards on my property, and I have no problem with that as long as they're using common sense and are holding up their end of the deal, which they're not. They sent my buddy around the corner a photo of his dog sitting in his driveway, telling him it was a dog off leash when in their photo, it was tied to the garage with a thin cable. After going back and fourth with them in e-mails, he submitted a bill to them for wasting his time, at the rate of $40 an hour (which is what he makes, based on his tax return). It confused the hell out of them how or why someone could submit a bill to them. No, they never paid it, but you would think that it would have been a wakeup call to them.

What ever happened to being Neighborly? Since the rise of the HOA, Neighbors are feuding more than ever, now spying on each other, taking pics, writting letters and tattling tailing on the people in their neighborhood because "little Alli down the street left her toys in the yard again". I couldn't agree more with you Tyler in calling them Communist... This is exactly what happens in communist countries... Neighbors are required to spy on each other and report any dirt that they uncover to the "Party".

I once walked out to my neighbor taking a pic of my car that was parked in front of MY HOUSE leaking tranny fluid into a PAN(breaking no rule that I know of). It had been there for a few hours... and I was on my way out to go grab the part to fix it... But instead of asking me about it like a freindly neighbor... She gave me a glare from behind her camera as she took pictures under my car... Needless to say she caught a fly by bird in her shot also.

Don't get me wrong they can be a good thing... But we should be careful on how much power we give the HOAs, Seems HOA's get put in place and they try to get crazy with their power.

EDIT:Tyler, I am still incredibly jealous of your "right wing extremist" title... rock on brudda!

Last edited:
HOA's do have you by the balls when you buy in. I've heard of HOA's selling peoples homes because they wouldnt pay dues/fines. It's in the contract;)

HOA's do have you by the balls when you buy in. I've heard of HOA's selling peoples homes because they wouldnt pay dues/fines. It's in the contract;)

That's so true!

HOAs can be difficult. I served on a board once when I was unfortunate enough to have bought into that type of community. You have to understand when you move in what you're signing. It is there to protect all neighbors. Become a part of the board and you will have more drama than you ever hoped for. But if you can let things roll off your back, the benefits of being involved are great.

Don't get involved if you have heart issues. It's your home you're talking about. Your sanctuary.

There is no way, I could live in one of those places. Tyler if there is an option...MOVE! :cool:

AJA said:
Tyler if there is an option...MOVE!

There is an option, but I don't think it'd be a smart option. I love my house. I bought at a pretty high priced time (2006), but I put 20% down, so it's basically a wash, if I had to guess. I'd like more land, but that's kinda in the works already. I'm not going to move until I lock in my land deal I'm hoping is going to happen. Might be a few years out, though.

Tyler, I am still incredibly jealous of your "right wing extremist" title... rock on brudda!

Be careful, with talk like that you're sure to upset some of the more emotional members of the forum LOL.

Become a part of the board and you will have more drama than you ever hoped for. But if you can let things roll off your back, the benefits of being involved are great.

Don't get involved if you have heart issues. It's your home you're talking about. Your sanctuary.

Ha Ha,

At my old job I used to be a consultant for HOA's and i'd sit in on their meetings occationally.

Some of the best drama I've seen. I had to excuse myself from some of the meetings to not bust up laughing at some board members.

One job in Van Nuys, I actually helped 1/2 of a condo assocaiton secede from the other half that was across the parking lot. Aparantely the people on the other side of the parking lot ate babies....;) It was a fun meeting.

Last edited:
So let me get this straight.

When you purchase a house in one of these areas that are governed by a HOA you sign documentation saying you will obey their rules and bylaws. And if you don't you agree to pay them fines and if it gets bad enough you agree that they have the right to sell your house out from under you?

I know I've read, they will loose a court battle. But I guess the fines are cheaper than an attorney.

Back
Top Bottom