College Stress

Syn

Avid Member
Having a lot of stress in my life lately.

I will be going to college soon, I may even take summer classes.

I will be playing soccer for the Geckos and will have two a days (two practices a day).
Why is that a bad thing? I live about 40 minutes away and don't have a car.
As a matter of fact I don't have a license. :eek:

Because my parents are divorced somewhere in the court papers my dad specified that if I am to get any license or anything he has to sign for it, too.
Being misinformed, he assumes if I get a license his insurance will go up regardless of whether or not I drive his car. :(
He won't sign for my license. I have to wait until I'm 18.

So, one of my plans is to move into a place closer so I can just ride my bike or take the light rail - GateWay has a light rail stop right on campus.
However, I can't find a place that I can afford that will take pets.. and if I can, it's too small.

Now I have to do one of two things, rehome my reptiles or find people willing to pet sit until I get things figured out. Either way I'm going to be stressed about their care. I've had bad luck with people in the past.

Blah. Worse comes to worse I guess I'll stay here and just take the bus to the lightrail stop and ride the lightrail to school.

stress stress stsekstkjth k stress. Lovely.

"Welcome to the world of being an adult," right?

I had a landlord that specified "no pets" and he loved my chameleon. I don't even think he regarded her as a pet...

But keep your head up. Things get better, and even if you have to rehome them, make sure you can get them back.

I am just scared I will find someone who doesn't want to give the reptile(s) back.

I've heard of it happening before. That's why I'm having a hard time finding people who want to help me out, I don't trust too many people.

Thank you Cheera!

It's hard at first. It will most likely get better as soon as you get your license. Sorry about that. I'll be attending the University of Redlands in May going full time for two and a half years. So I know it will be tough. Especially with a job. Hang in there. I'm sure you can find a place that accepts pets.

I would ask because most places by saying no pets means cats dogs sometimes birds but I have never had a landlord tell me that I cant have a caged animal esp one that wont cause damage if it gets 'out' even they didnt care about my rats which could cause some major damage if they got loose!!

Heya Melric, good luck in college! Awesome that you are going to a university. :) Thanks.

Lilwish, I called and asked, they said no reptiles either. The one place that did wanted a $50 deposit per pet.. Uhh, sorry, I'm not rich. :/

Syn, you should question every landlord who says "no pets" on the reptile issue, especially if you don't have anything that would trigger a knee jerk "ick" reaction like a snake or scorpion (not a reptile I know, but there seems to be a big cross over among keepers). As noted, many do view caged/tanked animals as acceptable because they don't make noise and don't pee on the carpets.

p.s. If someone does seem open to the reptiles, completely fail to mention anything about their food!

p.p.s. Congratulations on college! Even if you have to do the bus to trolley thing, it will be a great experience for you.

Right I had asked most of the places if something housed in a cage/tank what have you would still be considered a pet and most places said yes - those that didn't required some sort of deposit or had the most ridiculous of terms..

Well, most of the reptiles I keep are now cresteds so I could mention food. ;)

Thank you for the congrats. ^^;;

If you have a friend or relative close to the area I would ask to house with them for a while, maybe they won't mind all the critters. I know that's what I will be doing when I head off to college. My family lives near the cities where I would be attending granted I get into those colleges, but it would have to be alright with them to actually keep my pets with them.

Congrats on the college! I'm sure that you will have a ton of fun! I hope everything works out best for you.

You're over stressing about college before you even start! Where are you going to college? Is it more a college town area or a middle of nowhere type area? I went to a college town area and didn't have a car or license either. I either walked or took the campus shuttle which will pretty much take you anywhere you need to go. Also some colleges tend to have free/cheap public transportation in the area and shops that will have anything you need. There was even a local, not too close but accessible, reptile store nearby. Mine had a fly-away shuttle that took me from Westwood to LAX for $4. I had to pick some of my snakes at the airport and took that. If you have some really good friends that have cars, you can bum a ride from them too.

Also I paid $875 for a room (two bedroom with one room mate) to live in the former Chabad house (I'm not Jewish) for a year. Almost everyone I knew had some sort of part-time job to help pay with the bills and sometimes I even had 2 or 3 (but most were research gigs which were pretty easy and flexible). My landlords were strict orthodox jews who would've kicked my roommate and I out if they knew I was keeping several snakes under my desk. I think most landlords around the campus areas will have stricts rules and some landlords know their tennants will not always abide by them. Hint hint... hide your pets rather than paying the extra monthly fee. I will say that there is the possibility that they will find out and ask you to get rid of it or move out. I think reptiles are easy to hide though since they don't make obvious sounds/noises and tend to stay still in an enclosed cage. Everytime my landlord would do a walk-through or visit, I would simply put my spare blanket over one of my desks and put food and my laptop of top of it. They never knew I had several snakes under the sheets.

I really hope you don't have to re-home your pets. Have you considered moving half-way or just a little bit closer to the campus? Usually rent spikes up near campuses due to the constant high demand.

Enjoy college! It was the best 4 years of life so far. Life after college is kind of blah right now. Hopefully it's just the economy and not the 8:00 to 4:30 grind which takes time to get used to.

**If you really want to save money, don't buy any of the dorm/apartment furniture just yet. During the summer when everyone has to go back home, people who live far or just graduating will sell everything at a very discounted price or even leave it on the street/sidewalk for free. Most people call it street/curve shopping and you can find tables, desks, chairs, minifridge, etc. at a very good price or even free. Facebook is also a great place to find out what your friends and their friends (and their friends) are selling in the market place. I get tons of e-mails like that.

If you have a friend or relative close to the area I would ask to house with them for a while, maybe they won't mind all the critters. I know that's what I will be doing when I head off to college. My family lives near the cities where I would be attending granted I get into those colleges, but it would have to be alright with them to actually keep my pets with them.

Congrats on the college! I'm sure that you will have a ton of fun! I hope everything works out best for you.
Wish I had family in the area, most of them live further from the college than I do. Glad you have a plan. :D Thank ya sir.
You're over stressing about college before you even start! It's my job! I overstress everything. :D Where are you going to college? GateWay Community College, will be playing soccer for them. Is it more a college town area or a middle of nowhere type area? It's Phoenix so I guess it's sorta a college town, but it's big. I went to a college town area and didn't have a car or license either. I either walked or took the campus shuttle which will pretty much take you anywhere you need to go. Yeah I am just too far to get to the bus - I'd have to ride my bike to the bus or something. Also some colleges tend to have free/cheap public transportation in the area and shops that will have anything you need. Right which is why I am putting the lightrail and busing system into the equation. There was even a local, not too close but accessible, reptile store nearby. Yes, there is here as well. Mine had a fly-away shuttle that took me from Westwood to LAX for $4. I had to pick some of my snakes at the airport and took that. If you have really good friends that have cars, you can bum a ride from them too. I will have to make friends at soccer practice and fast. :D

Also I paid $875 for a room (two bedroom with one room mate) to live in the former Chabad house (I'm not Jewish) for a year. Almost everyone I knew had some sort of part-time job to help pay with the bills and sometimes I even had 2 or 3 (but most were research gigs which were pretty easy and flexible). My landlords were strict orthodox jews who would've kicked my roommate and I out if they knew I was keeping several snakes under my desk. I think most landlords around the campus areas will have stricts rules and some landlords know their tennants will not always abide by them. Hint hint... hide your pets rather than paying the extra monthly fee. I will say that there is the possibility that they will find out and ask you to get rid of it or move out. I think reptiles are easy to hide though since they don't make obvious sounds/noises and tend to stay still in an enclosed cage. Everytime my landlord would do a walk-through or visit, I would simply put my spare blanket over one of my desks and put food and my laptop of top of it. They never knew I had several snakes under sheets. I'd do that but I am feeding a small army of pets - a few people recently decided they didn't want my geckos anymore. Within the past two months I've gotten 10 reptiles back.. must be because the weather's heating up.

I really hope you don't have to re-home your pets. Have you considered moving half-way or just a little bit closer to the campus? Usually rent spikes up near campuses due to the constant high demand. Yeah I've thought about it, I'd at least like to be by the light rail but that's even close to college and stuff. Maybe I will get myself a moped... :rolleyes:

Enjoy college! It was the best 4 years of life so far. Life after college is kind of blah right now. Hopefully it's just the economy and not the 8:00 to 4:30 grind which takes time to get used to. I will do my best! :D

**If you really want to save money, don't buy any of the dorm/apartment furniture just yet. During the summer when everyone has to go back home, people who live far or just graduating will sell everything at a very discounted price or even leave it on the street/sidewalk for free. Most people call it street/curve shopping and you can find tables, desks, chairs, minifridge, etc. at a very good price or even free. Facebook is also a great place to find out what your friends and their friends (and their friends) are selling in the market place. I get tons of e-mails like that.
Who needs furniture? I can sleep on the floor... LOL

How does your dad feel you going to college? How do you feel about him not giving you the ok to drive? Just curious...

Wild thought. Does the school have biology/science teachers who might be open to having your animals live in their classrooms? You'd have to be in charge of husbandry and care because you want to know it's done right, but lots of science classrooms have reptiles living in them. You could offer to trade some of your expertise and time sharing that in exchange for giving them space.

...congratulations going to College. Well, with all that running around you will stay out of trouble, right?...right. I am sure you will figure things out and you and your pets will be ok. Study hard and get good grades, and party hardy!! Hayo!! How many pets do you have anyways?

...congratulations going to College. Well, with all that running around you will stay out of trouble, right?...right. I am sure you will figure things out and you and your pets will be ok. Study hard and get good grades, and party hardy!! Hayo!! How many pets do you have anyways?

what he said and 10x over....work hard...but enjoy life....at least thats my motto:D

i'm happy for you, and i know you will figure something out...use the ol' noggin of yours:cool:

Hey, you can easily sneak a few animals that do not require much space but REALLY I suggest you start selling them all off -- even do a reptile show if you have more than 20. I have 20 - 40 chameleons now and I had ZERO in college. In other words, you have a LOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG life to live and collect even more reptiles with your college education salary -- unless you fail college and flush your tuition down the drain. Or go bonkers from stress. It does not sound like boredom is gonna be an issue for you so if you don't have the time or money (true), sell them all and have some cash.

Another option is to find a breeder in the area and work or intern for them outside of soccer season. If they keep the same stuff you can add your animals to their collection. If not, at least you can keep close to creatures and utilize your herp skills. We here can all provide you with referrals! And this will be something you can put on a resume (like the whole point of college).

A third option is -- you are not ready for college yet and should not go unless you have a soild plan for how you will immediately turn your education into cash. (unless you have a scholarship or funding).

How does your dad feel you going to college? How do you feel about him not giving you the ok to drive? Just curious...
He is very glad I got into college, I am very disappointed he won't allow me to drive because it will raise his rates. Oh well, once I turn 18 he won't have to worry.
Wild thought. Does the school have biology/science teachers who might be open to having your animals live in their classrooms? You'd have to be in charge of husbandry and care because you want to know it's done right, but lots of science classrooms have reptiles living in them. You could offer to trade some of your expertise and time sharing that in exchange for giving them space.
More than likely, no, unfortunately.
I'm already staying out of trouble (except online :rolleyes:) I have too many pets. :D
what he said and 10x over....work hard...but enjoy life....at least thats my motto:D

i'm happy for you, and i know you will figure something out...use the ol' noggin of yours:cool:
My noggin is overworked these days.
Another option is to find a breeder in the area and work or intern for them outside of soccer season. If they keep the same stuff you can add your animals to their collection. If not, at least you can keep close to creatures and utilize your herp skills. We here can all provide you with referrals! And this will be something you can put on a resume (like the whole point of college).

A third option is -- you are not ready for college yet and should not go unless you have a soild plan for how you will immediately turn your education into cash. (unless you have a scholarship or funding).
There is a breeder in the area I'd love to intern for they just don't have the right paperwork yet. I'll have to harass some people about it.

Option three is not an option, I already signed with the college so I could play soccer - that is my main reason for going to GateWay.

to bad your not in socal me and my girlfriend couldve helped you out with the petsitting

Reactions: Syn
Couple of thoughts for you-

Visit the college a few times the next couple of months and check all the bulletin boards you can find around campus. This time of year, lots of kids are loosing their roommates and need to find a room mate and they will put up flyers around campus. Often you can find rooms in houses that are rented out by kids and usually you can keep fish and terrariums in houses like these. Sometimes the flyers will say something like "room for rent, animals OK" or "must be OK with dogs to rent" or whatever. Many times if you start calling around or visiting the properties you will find kids who already have fish or small birds or animals already.

If you can swing paying the rent starting in June, you will have many more options and might be able to bargain a little more on the rate so the other kid(s) don't have to cover the whole thing all summer. For example- if the established roommate gets the larger room or the room with a master bath or whatever, you can negotiate a little and push them to let you have your lizards or possibly to pay a little less rent.

Another couple of ideas-

Sometimes if you look in the local classifieds (especially the ones you find as local booklets in gas stations) you can find great deals on mobile homes. By great deals I mean take over the monthly payments from the current owner. On older mobile homes these payments are sometimes as cheap as renting an apartment. Sometimes you can even get free old mobile homes (often beaters, but hey! free!- I kid you not I've seen them in our local classifieds every once in a while) from new property owners who just want the home off their new property and then just need to find a spot to put it and pay to have it moved and the monthly lot fee. You may end up getting an old beater of a mobile home that you need to put a little work into, but at least you have something to show for it that belongs to you rather than handing over your money to a landlord and walking away in a few years with nothing but memories. Our neighbor 2 houses down had one that was rented out for several years and after the last tenants left he gave his away free to anyone who would take it off his property- and it has just been lived in so must have been in decent shape- he was just tired of being a landlord- it happens!)

I knew a guy once at our university who had an efficiency apartment full of venomous snakes. His headboard consisted of shelves of them LOL. The herpetology class went on a field trip to his room once. LOL I seriously doubt his landlord was aware of the situation and in many college or university situations, landlords have too many properties to really care about or check on things unless there is a complaint, so if you keep a low profile...

Depending on your feelings about it, I might recommend reducing your collection and limiting the number of enclosures you have for a few years. A couple of really well kept terraria are unlikely to bother most landlords- a room full of screen enclosures with a misting system and buckets of bugs might be seen as humidity and water damage and fire hazard and pest infestation when cared for by general idiots (not people like yourself, but the kind of people who leave property damaged every spring when they leave school).

The other thing about this option is your life is about to change quite a lot probably- things are going to be new and busy and exciting with lots of new experiences to focus on. It might be more comfortable for you and your lizards to reduce things for a while. If you find you have time and money and want to increase the collection again after you are settled and acclimated to college life, then you can always do that again in the future.

You might consider seriously selling your stuff off to buyers you think are going to treat your animals right to reduce things, and use the money to stay comfortable. I'd advise you not to give things out on loan expecting to get them back- things can happen beyond anyone's control- death of an animal, financial disaster, illness, accidents- can leave you resenting and it's not worth it. Better to make a clean break wish them well and raise a little cash to put towards pampering the rest or getting that apartment or whatever.

Congratulations by the way on your soccer achievement- that is really great!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom