College Paper

VeiledChams

Avid Member
Guys,

I'm was assigned a research paper as part of my English class curriculum. What better subject to choose than my beloved chameleons?

I decided to investigate on one of the things that make these lizards stand out, their color variation.

I need theories, factual information, and some very opinionated statements in order to have a powerful and balanced paper.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Oh, goodness, there have been loads of great posts and threads about that. I suspect a patient search would yield very helpful results.

I actually just got done writing a 3 page problem/solution paper similar to this for English. It was mainly on the snake ban though. I'm hoping we have one on informational papers so I can do it on Chameleons and their care :) Good Luck!

I will have to dig up through all of the thousands of threads!

And thank you, hopefully I can get the 20 page minimum. haha

Use the search function. I'd start with this forum. Look for threads started by Chris Anderson and Kinyonga, both frequently post highly informative scientific information for the education of the community. Others do as well, but those two stand out in my mind.

Let me share some opinions on chameleon colors.:D

In my years of keeping chameleons, I have progressed from the more common Furcifer pardalis (panthers) and Chamaeleo Calyptratus (veileds), to the less common montane species. Most people would argue that I now have less dramatic chameleons. That just shows how little they know. It is true that a panther can go from usual colors of greens & blues to vibrant yellows and oranges in about a minute. But my Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis (quads) can go from a pale soft shade of green to very lovely dramatic dark rich greens and glowing black and white. The color changes are ever bit as fascinating and dramatic, it is just a difference in what our cultures have taught us about color, that more, bigger and brighter are always better. For the people who can't see beyond the learned behavior of only appreciating only what slammed in your face, a wide spectrum of experiences are lost.

The world of nature displays a range of colors that can only be described as fluid from the start of the spectrum all the way to returning to those same colors. How can a person begin to appreciate the bright primary colors if they do not have the shades of all those colors compare to? The skin tones of humans represent a study in shades of colors. The variety of flowers, leaves, and rainbows are studies in shades of color.

To enjoy chameleons is to be able to see the difference and subtle shades offered by each living palette called a chameleon. A panther may offer bright, glaring reds, blues and greens. But quads offer more shades of color than just a few primary colors. A male Kinyongia tavetana (tavs)must have at least twenty shades of light tans to a dark brown. For the eye to be able to distinguish all these shades is to utilize the senses we have to the fullest. We should all be thankful to the chameleons that offer all the colors in the rainbow, not just a couple bright ones. What a feast they offer for our eyes.

Necas had the more scientific information on the different cells in the skin that account for the color change. It's not a huge section but it would probably be a good reference! If you don't have access to it I can scan the pages and send them to you if you want.

"that wich is not slightley disstorted lacks sencible appeal, from witch it follows that irregularrity,
that is to say that the unexpected surprise & astonishment are an essential part & characteristic of beauty."

its a quote i read along time ago but i think it holds true here, i have always interperated it as, how could a rose seem beautifull if there was noting to compare it to such as a dandilion witch in turn makes the dandelion equally improtant to the beauty of the rose.

seems true with chams

jmo Hoj

While I agree to some extent about people learning that colorful is "best" or whatever, I think a huge part of the facination about panthers and veileds is because they are easily obtainable, veileds are inexpensive, and other than birds, the majority of the population has never seen an animal that is so colorful. And to top it off, they can have extremely drastic color changes where the animal looks like a whole new animal if you didn't know any better (and the fact that they turn bright colors just pushes the awe-factor overboard.) Not to mention that both species are generally much more hardy than most other species.

I remember when I was studying and I actually had to read books and things. kids these days dont realise how lucky they are, all they have to do is stick a post on a forum and someone will do most of the hardwork for them. ;):D

Necas had the more scientific information on the different cells in the skin that account for the color change. It's not a huge section but it would probably be a good reference! If you don't have access to it I can scan the pages and send them to you if you want.

i will search for it, thank you! if anything i'll let you know

and thanks again laurie!

I remember when I was studying and I actually had to read books and things. kids these days dont realise how lucky they are, all they have to do is stick a post on a forum and someone will do most of the hardwork for them. ;):D

well, i have read 10+ books on the subject, personally interview proffesors at my university, and also interviewed my vet.. i posted here to get information from nice people who deal with chameleons on a daily basis

chris, that is a lot of useful information.. greatly appreciated!

hoj, i will search for that quote and incorporate it in my paper! i agree completely, it fits in perfectly

Well that was rude. I personally don't see anything wrong with utilizing all resources available, but then again I'm all for dissemination of knowledge. I doubt that we are providing him with nearly enough information to write a short paper, much less one 20 pages long. And remember the research is just finding the info - actually writing the paper is by far more challenging in my opinion so there is still plenty of work to be done. :)

Well that was rude. I personally don't see anything wrong with utilizing all resources available, but then again I'm all for dissemination of knowledge. I doubt that we are providing him with nearly enough information to write a short paper, much less one 20 pages long. And remember the research is just finding the info - actually writing the paper is by far more challenging in my opinion so there is still plenty of work to be done. :)

Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom