Cohabitation of a chameleon and a Phelsuma

Not this again...:rolleyes:

your point is valid for precautionar measures, but if you really read the post, in only deals with two specific species to "live together" and i believe Morpheon brought up more than "2 or 3" cases about these two species with no gruesome outcome- however alot of variables appy, if the gecko was way smaller than of course it would be a meal, but i think similar sizes cancel out predator and prey factor....still its just in our nature to be curious for the sake of learning, undertssanding, and progess. Morpheon seems to want to improve the natural living of a cham. my input is just a viewpoint, nothimg i said is for certain.:D:):p

similar sizes do no such thing. how often do we hear "make sure the size of the prey is no larger than between the eyes"? why do you think people stress this? the obvious reason is choking, but the reason that leads to the END RESULT is the fact that the animal probably ISNT sizing up its prey. its most likely going to attempt a shot at food whenever it wants or needs it; and if that means trying out a tasty new snack, whats stopping it? not really much, unless the animal is being fed to its content (which isnt good, by the way) or, in the LIMITED number of cases mentioned, the animal just seems to be a docile one or at least unaffected by the presence. im not too sure as to what Morpheon wants; there is nothing i can see that will improve the quality of the chams living (in fact, on a lighter note, im pretty sure hes ALREADY provided an enclosure thats works well enough for the cham to be living as naturally as possible) and the only outcome i see from this is either a gecko that didnt need to die or a cham that didnt need to die choking on it. curiosity killed the cat, what makes it different for this situation? i hate bad news on the forum; it sucks to hear when something goes wrong with someones animal and it sucks even more when it could have been avoided.

and for what its worth, i know this is an old thread; i read through it the first time and thought the same thing, but kept my mouth closed as there were already others covering it. now i see hes still thinking about doing it, and i dont want to get on the forum one day to find out this was tried and ended up with either animal getting sick, injured, or killed. i usually love being the guy to say "told you so", but not when it turns into a life or death scenario which, once again, could have been avoided.

Morpheon, first of all, i know YOU know most of your stuff pretty well, and i know youre really set on this idea; but if it were me, i would keep it at just that: an idea. i know youre keeping the interests of both animals in mind, but lets quickly think about their interests seperately; we'll use cage size, food, and basking areas (just 3 examples out of the hundreds there are; you may have considered quite a lot of these, these 3 i would hope were among the first things you took notice to). with cage size, the chameleon of course needs a considerably larger amount of space to live in and, as some know from raising baby chams, this makes it hard for small species like the gecko to find his food/heat spot/water/etc. with food, all kinds of things come into play; a cricket too big will choke the gecko, the chameleon eats all the food either leaving none for gecko or causing harm to cham from overeating, the gecko becomes food for cham (original point? ;) haha only joking). finally basking areas; im not too sure what the max temp for the gecko is so i wont assume, but if it is slightly different youll have to find a medium to suit both. now take all that and think for a second: maybe its more trouble than its worth? and im pretty sure the gecko would be happier in his own terrarium with correct lighting, food that he can swallow, and a living space that he can wander without you having to worry how well hes doing.

now that ive spoken my mind, can i go to bed????:D damn that took a while.

good luck and PLEEEEEEASE think about this.

similar sizes do no such thing. how often do we hear "make sure the size of the prey is no larger than between the eyes"? why do you think people stress this? the obvious reason is choking, but the reason that leads to the END RESULT is the fact that the animal probably ISNT sizing up its prey. its most likely going to attempt a shot at food whenever it wants or needs it; and if that means trying out a tasty new snack, whats stopping it? not really much, unless the animal is being fed to its content (which isnt good, by the way) or, in the LIMITED number of cases mentioned, the animal just seems to be a docile one or at least unaffected by the presence. im not too sure as to what Morpheon wants; there is nothing i can see that will improve the quality of the chams living (in fact, on a lighter note, im pretty sure hes ALREADY provided an enclosure thats works well enough for the cham to be living as naturally as possible) and the only outcome i see from this is either a gecko that didnt need to die or a cham that didnt need to die choking on it. curiosity killed the cat, what makes it different for this situation? i hate bad news on the forum; it sucks to hear when something goes wrong with someones animal and it sucks even more when it could have been avoided.

and for what its worth, i know this is an old thread; i read through it the first time and thought the same thing, but kept my mouth closed as there were already others covering it. now i see hes still thinking about doing it, and i dont want to get on the forum one day to find out this was tried and ended up with either animal getting sick, injured, or killed. i usually love being the guy to say "told you so", but not when it turns into a life or death scenario which, once again, could have been avoided.

Morpheon, first of all, i know YOU know most of your stuff pretty well, and i know youre really set on this idea; but if it were me, i would keep it at just that: an idea. i know youre keeping the interests of both animals in mind, but lets quickly think about their interests seperately; we'll use cage size, food, and basking areas (just 3 examples out of the hundreds there are; you may have considered quite a lot of these, these 3 i would hope were among the first things you took notice to). with cage size, the chameleon of course needs a considerably larger amount of space to live in and, as some know from raising baby chams, this makes it hard for small species like the gecko to find his food/heat spot/water/etc. with food, all kinds of things come into play; a cricket too big will choke the gecko, the chameleon eats all the food either leaving none for gecko or causing harm to cham from overeating, the gecko becomes food for cham (original point? ;) haha only joking). finally basking areas; im not too sure what the max temp for the gecko is so i wont assume, but if it is slightly different youll have to find a medium to suit both. now take all that and think for a second: maybe its more trouble than its worth? and im pretty sure the gecko would be happier in his own terrarium with correct lighting, food that he can swallow, and a living space that he can wander without you having to worry how well hes doing.

now that ive spoken my mind, can i go to bed????:D damn that took a while.

good luck and PLEEEEEEASE think about this.

NO!!! since you brought it up , lets continue posting and bust an all- niter!:D:p...jk

See, doesnt it feel bettr to let it all out, ;):rolleyes::p
i know you care about everyone's well bein, especially the animals in discussion, and that why You should speak up and thats why discussions and debating are there for...hopefully to find a common ground:):D

NO!!! since you brought it up , lets continue posting and bust an all- niter!:D:p...jk

See, doesnt it feel bettr to let it all out, ;):rolleyes::p
i know you care about everyone's well bein, especially the animals in discussion, and that why You should speak up and thats why discussions and debating are there for...hopefully to find a common ground:):D
ah fudge. haha.
yea true its all in fact for the greater good. just looking out for the animals......and him too as a matter of fact. seriously, how awful would it be if what i stated actually happened. he would feel horrible and i would too! i hope he takes it into consideration, as this really is the other reason im making these posts. lookin out for you too, morpheon!:D
I think this thread should last forever...debating the same thing over and over again is good for the soul :rolleyes:
haha nah im done ranting. ive gotten my main point out there.

Back
Top Bottom