Closing eyes whilst basking?

Pcav666

My cham is 5 weeks old and has been eating fine and being a cool lil guy, but I've noticed he closes his eyes now and then whilst basking?

The UVB light is reptisun 5.0

The UVA basking is Arcadia 100w (just ordered a 75w)

Could it just be the light is too bright?

Any ideas why they rest their eyes to bask?

Also he may be dehydrated as I rarely see him drink but he gets his viv misted 2-3 times a day .

Assuming its a veiled a 100 watt lamp is still pretty high and young animals need to be kept fairly cool as they overheat quickly.
So I'd downgrade the lamp to a 60 watt, maybe even 40watt lamp depending on the enclosure size amd room temperatures.

Are you using a linear tube for UVB or a compact?

Assuming its a veiled a 100 watt lamp is still pretty high and young animals need to be kept fairly cool as they overheat quickly.
So I'd downgrade the lamp to a 60 watt, maybe even 40watt lamp depending on the enclosure size amd room temperatures.

We have a linear uvb, and just ordered a 75w bulb for the heat lamp

Chams seem to be the only reptile that wont move a little bit if they are too hot.

My cham is 5 weeks old and has been eating fine and being a cool lil guy, but I've noticed he closes his eyes now and then whilst basking?

The UVB light is reptisun 5.0

The UVA basking is Arcadia 100w (just ordered a 75w)

Could it just be the light is too bright?

Any ideas why they rest their eyes to bask?

Also he may be dehydrated as I rarely see him drink but he gets his viv misted 2-3 times a day .
Not seeing your cham drink is normal. they only drink a few drops a day and if you are there he is either scared or waiting for you to serve him dinner. To make sure he is getting enough to drink, I recommend a dripper 2x per week set on slow so he will have a chance to drink an hour or 2 from now after he decides its time.

Chams seem to be the only reptile that wont move a little bit if they are too hot.

Part of the issue is the way they are basking. It is usually under a very small area that is being provided by a single bulb and they are not able to tell that one or two points of their body are getting too hot. In nature they are basking in sunlight (full coverage area) that will heat them up more consistently and they are able to seek the shade as needed.

Many chameleons will not drink during misting sessions and will actually get their moisture from feeders and also from the air itself. A dripper is a good suggestion though because at least the opportunity to drink is always there if wanted.

My veieled will bask in whatever bulb but I can tell he is a little more comfortable with the house 65W I put in. I have tried the 100W and 75W but they just get way over the recommended temp. Of course this is all dependent on the distance to the basking branch but the hotter bulbs also raises the overall temp in the enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom