Climbing the mesh all the time??

neonate

Hi all my meller "Gonzo" seems to keep trying to get out through the mesh all the time? even tho when i or the lady is around the door to his 2'/4'/6' enclosure is always open ?

Gonzo is roughly 15/16 months....is this too young to be gravid? could it be a sign on wanting to lay? (does go to bottom now and then but only climbs strait back up) although i cannot see eggs .....

Gonzo also has elongated middle nail on rear foot...i dont want this to become worse by the climbing of the mesh....still havent risked clipping either..

NOTE. my mellers chameleon is very healthy and i treat it like i treat my own family...this is just one small thing i need help with...thanks...

Heres some pics of enclosure..
cagec.jpg

cageb.jpg

This isn't what I would call gravid behavior. S/He would be pawing at the bottom of the cage or digging out plants if gravid.

Review your husbandry (although it looks fine to me) and see if there isn't something that may need tweaking.

Other than that, he may just be one of the ones that does better in a free range. As long as you don't have large furry pets, free range is really a neat way to keep Melleri.

Edit: I was just reviewing your pic again. Is that vine he's on always going to the cage like that?

How long has it been in the enclosure? Often times, when a cham is introduced to a new enclosure, they will explore, explore and explore.
If that isn't the case, maybe you have one that likes to move around a lot.

Something I read on Melleri Discovery is that males when kept alone will tend to roam, it's a boy thing and they can't help themselves :eek:. To curb this tendency a friend may help 'him' stay put. :cool:

Some melleri just don't tolerate caging regardless of size. They are also VERY persistant and will keep trying to escape endlessly. If you have a wanderer, cham proof the room and take the cage out. I've had wandering melleri settle down in the same trees that were originally inside the cage once I removed it and set them up under UV and basking lamps hung from the ceiling. Free ranging melleri is a great way to keep them. You can block the door to the room or hazardous areas with boards or cardboard too tall for them to climb over. You can create a clump of trees with some fake potted Ficus from a home improvement store, your own plants, with climbing paths made from branches connecting the trees together. Put the pots on a tarp to protect the floor from water. Really, if you provide what they want in a particular area (heat and bright light, elevation), bring rain and food, they tend to stay there most of the time.

Hi all cheers for the reply's...

.PURE...the vine is always going in the cage when im around.

Perhaps i will think more about freerange.......

We experimented a bit before we decided to go the free range route. Through research, conversation and our own experiences, Meller's don't seem to enjoy having something blocking their view of the world. In our case, simply opening the cage door so she could see out was enough to calm her down and let her settle on a branch. That was until we closed the door. Then she started roaming again. We tried a few different things before removing the cage all together and arranging her a nice 6' shelf to relax on and she hasn't moved since. She's been that way since February and having grown as much as she has, I'm glad we chose that route. She went from 26g to over 200g in about 7 months and seems as happy as can be.

Watering poses a challenge, so be aware that if you choose to free range, you will have to figure out how to provide adequate drinking water.

Luis

Hi all cheers for the reply's...

.PURE...the vine is always going in the cage when im around.

Perhaps i will think more about freerange.......

That's what I figured. It may or may not hve anything to do with the roaming. But by putting that vine to the cage (even if it's just attached to the outside and the door is shut) gives him a means to get up higher. It's instinctual for them to want to get to the highest possible spot in the room. The cage paceing could be from him seeing the vine and wanting to get on it, just to find he is confined to his cage.

Try removing the vine.

Back
Top Bottom