CJ Died

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
CJ unfortunately has passed away, and I would like to see if anybody might now what might have happened to him. Thank you.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, 5 months old, I've had him for 2 and a half months.
  • Handling - Maybe once every couple days.
  • Feeding - I feed him when I wake up and I am out of the shower, maybe 6:45 am. He eats a staple of crickets (house and banded, right now I have house), and he has waxworms, BSF's and BSFL's. He ate everyday.
  • Supplements - Repcal w/o d3 every day, Repcal w/d3 every 2 weeks, and Repcal multivitamin every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - I usually hand mist, I am home long enough that I didn't need a automatic mister, and I mist 2-3 times a day. He drinks in front of me every once in a while, but he usually doesn't, but his urates were white.
  • Fecal Description - His feces were brown/black, and his urates were white. I did notice yesterday that his urate was kind of watery, and very white. Could this have been a sign of over hydration or kidney issues? He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - None.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 16x16x30 screen enclosure.
  • Lighting - From 6:45 to 6:45 and he has a ZooMed Reptisun 5.0, and a standard incandescent 60 watt bulb that I got from Target.
  • Temperature - I have a digital thermometer, and at the basking spot, it was usually about 85 (I say usually because when the lights come on, it usually is like 75)
  • Humidity - I had a digital hygrometer, but it broke and I was going to get a new one. Humidity was usually 55%, but fluctuated with misting.
  • Plants - I used Schleffera and a Golden Pothos.
  • Placement - It is in my bedroom, about 4 feet from top of the enclosure to the floor. There is a fan in my room, but no air vents that I know of by his enclosure.
  • Location - Texas

Current Problem - He died, and I don't know why. I think it might be aspergillus.

I'm so sorry that you lost CJ. He was young and it could have been part of the natural die off but it's hard to tell. Can you please describe what he was like in the last few days and hours leading up to his death....it might give us some ideas.
If you suspect aspergillus or aflotoxins then you might want to talk to @jajeanpierre.

A necropsy might tell you why...but then it might not too.

Aspergillus is a fungal infection most commonly seen in areas of new construction, or overturned earth (farming). Now there are many other forms of fungal infection, but most will present with similar symptoms of an upper respiratory tract infection. Unfortunately a necropsy is gonna be the only way to know for sure what went wrong. If you seriously suspect aspergillus, careful decamination of your entire enclosure is required before selecting a new pet. It sounds like you did everything right, sorry things took a bad turn.

I think I won't take risks, and throw everything in the enclosure out. Thank you everybody. I have talked to @jajeanpierre already. The last few days, he was acting different, I just didn't notice it. He had been hanging out in the bottom more recently, but he still basked, so I thought nothing about it. He also puffed up more when I tried to hold him, so I left him alone. I will try to get some photos tomorrow.

@CJ's Exotics I'm SO sorry to hear about CJ!! I have not been on as much lately or I would have posted sooner!

SO sorry for your loss! As you know I just lost my first dragon to an unknown reason, so I know how it feels not to have answers! And how hard that makes it!

If there is anything I can help with just let me know!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I know you gave him everything he could ever have wanted and needed. Rest in Peace CJ.

CJ unfortunately has passed away, and I would like to see if anybody might now what might have happened to him. Thank you.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon, 5 months old, I've had him for 2 and a half months.
  • Handling - Maybe once every couple days.
  • Feeding - I feed him when I wake up and I am out of the shower, maybe 6:45 am. He eats a staple of crickets (house and banded, right now I have house), and he has waxworms, BSF's and BSFL's. He ate everyday.
  • Supplements - Repcal w/o d3 every day, Repcal w/d3 every 2 weeks, and Repcal multivitamin every 2 weeks.
  • Watering - I usually hand mist, I am home long enough that I didn't need a automatic mister, and I mist 2-3 times a day. He drinks in front of me every once in a while, but he usually doesn't, but his urates were white.
  • Fecal Description - His feces were brown/black, and his urates were white. I did notice yesterday that his urate was kind of watery, and very white. Could this have been a sign of over hydration or kidney issues? He has not been tested for parasites.
  • History - None.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 16x16x30 screen enclosure.
  • Lighting - From 6:45 to 6:45 and he has a ZooMed Reptisun 5.0, and a standard incandescent 60 watt bulb that I got from Target.
  • Temperature - I have a digital thermometer, and at the basking spot, it was usually about 85 (I say usually because when the lights come on, it usually is like 75)
  • Humidity - I had a digital hygrometer, but it broke and I was going to get a new one. Humidity was usually 55%, but fluctuated with misting.
  • Plants - I used Schleffera and a Golden Pothos.
  • Placement - It is in my bedroom, about 4 feet from top of the enclosure to the floor. There is a fan in my room, but no air vents that I know of by his enclosure.
  • Location - Texas

Current Problem - He died, and I don't know why. I think it might be aspergillus.
I'm so sorry that you lost CJ. He was young and it could have been part of the natural die off but it's hard to tell. Can you please describe what he was like in the last few days and hours leading up to his death....it might give us some ideas.
If you suspect aspergillus or aflotoxins then you might want to talk to @jajeanpierre.

A necropsy might tell you why...but then it might not too.
Hey, I’m sooo sorry , I can’t imagine what your going through right now:( this is a sad day.

Oh no!!!! :( I’m sooo sorry, I’m sure you did everything right. They are so delicate. Not knowing what went wrong is the worst part imo i hope you can get all the answers your looking for :(

So sorry for loss. If you want to get back on the horse right away, Charles Yamaguchi is trying to find homes fore a large quantity of young panthers he rescued from a "breeding facility." I saw pictures of some of them and although they are most certainly some cross locality, many look very nice. You may want to talk to him. I know he is on the big chameleon facebook page and I think he is here on the forums too. Again sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom