Chloë's new thing, spitting out crickets

SocialNumb

Established Member
Two days in a row now. She chews one up, spits it out and then eats the rest except one which either dies on it's own or I remove and recycle. Seems pretty random and I'm not sure what it means. i've searched the forum and there was talk about "Mouth Rot" but her mouth looks fine from I can tell while she's chewing down on a cricket. Think maybe she's bored or maybe it's the Reptical?

Am I worried over nothing? :eek:

Two days in a row now. She chews one up, spits it out and then eats the rest except one which either dies on it's own or I remove and recycle. Seems pretty random and I'm not sure what it means. i've searched the forum and there was talk about "Mouth Rot" but her mouth looks fine from I can tell while she's chewing down on a cricket. Think maybe she's bored or maybe it's the Reptical?

Am I worried over nothing? :eek:

A couple of ideas...the cricket she spits out might have had a heavier coating of supplement dust on it (it probably doesn't taste all that great), or possibly that particular one is sick in some way that affects its taste. Or, she happened to snag it oddly so it ended up in her mouth at an awkward angle. She spit it out to get a different grip on it a second time. Sometimes, if you change your gutloads the crix eat it can change their flavor.

If she had active mouth rot she might not eat at all as her mouth would be sore. Doesn't sound like the problem here.

I appreciate your input Carlton, thanks. I'm probably worried about nothing here. I'm still new at Chameleons and all. Every new thing she does kinda puts me on edge.

Perhaps it is the supplement because I put 3 more crickets after I wrote the post above without anything on them and she ate them up no problem. Still left the dusted one alone though. I don't know if it's the South Florida weather or what but the powder supplements tend to clump up a little and hang on to say, the crickets legs, for example, making hard to "lightly dust" them. I'm about to get one of those blush brushes or whatever they're called and try that on the crickets.

I'm also looking into getting her other feeders of the worm variety. Silks, butters or horns. I gotta find a mom and pop reptile place because PetSmart isn't all that good. Feeders are alway too large, too small and the prices kinda suck as well. The online option, well I'm thinking about that too but to keep all those critters, I don't know.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom