Chi-Chi and I need help.

ijmccollum

Chameleon Info:
• Chameleon – Adult female Jackson’s. In residence >2 y.
• Handling – Transport to free range areas and vet appointments. *Daily for saline injections or oral dosing.
• Feeding – Staple is generally crickets with supers/silks/goliath/butter worms offered intermittent as available – ordered about once a month. Crickets are fed Flucker’s High Calcium diet supplemented with oranges/potatoes/greens-mustard-kale-collards. Super worms are on Bran supplemented as crickets are. Crickets are kept on a bedding of organic Blue Grass seed and uncooked oatmeal.
• Supplements – Crickets are dusted with Rep-Cal w/o D3 w/o phos every couple feedings, Rep-Cal Ultra Fine w/D3 once every 6 wks, and Rep-Cal Herptivite once every 6 wks. Only one supplement given at a time.
• Watering – Hand mist twice daily. Heavy in mornings so that heavy drops are formed on leaves. It is noted if she is/not drinking. If I have concerns of her not drinking I use a gavage syringe to orally admin ~1 ml. I do not gavage per se – just use the blunted tip to access oral cavity. Generally she is pretty good at drinking off of leaves. She is currently receiving daily injections of 2 ml sterile saline (IC) to confirm hydration and flush kidneys.
• Fecal Description – Uric is white, feces is brown and well formed.
• History – Early delivery of micro-neonates and under developed fetuses in August, 2010. Appeared to be doing well immed. after delivery. Approx 1 wk later, my error – picked her up from outside sunning branch a bit roughly; she wasn’t ready to come in. Next morning she had difficulty grabbing branches in viv. Progressed to swollen ankle at R-front foot which then slowly progressed to knobby knees on back legs. Early in presentation of symptoms she was treated with ReptAid. Has been under care of vet for several weeks and is residing at home. Two blood panels indicate normal ranges of calcium and uric acids, phos levels elevated and x-rays show slight tissue affected but not organs. More than likely she did not receive adequate UVB/calcium during pregnancy.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – Exoterra, 36x18x24. Live planted. Substrate is hydroton/charcoal/Eco Earth/Forest Moss.
• Lighting – Exoterra, 5.0 linear UVB ~ 2 mo old, 60 watt bask.
• Temperature - ~ 80F directly under bask to ambient RT ~ 74F. Overnight temps are ambient ~72-74F by digital thermometer.
• Humidity - ~ 60-80% based on hygrometer and time of misting. Mist heavy in AM, lighter in PM. Med water pool available at all times – cleaned regularly.
• Plants – Natural planted live viv. Sheffela/Prayer/Dracaena. Free Range – Sheffela/Dracaena/Ficus/Hibiscus.
• Placement – Master bedroom. Not near fans or vents or windows. Viv sets on ~3.5 ft tall stand. Top of viv from floor ~ 4.5 ft.
• Location – N. Utah

Current Problem – She is under current care and treatment by qualified vet. She receives 2 ml sterile saline injections, i.c. daily to flush system, supplemented w/ drop of fish oil for kidney support, and every other day oral suspension of Baytril. Swelling is going down. We do not want to over supplement calcium but do need to get her phos levels down. She is due back in for an appt in a couple wks. RECOMMENDATIONS ARE WELCOMED.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Oatmeal and bran are high in phosphorus....so I would remove them from the food for your insects since you are trying to lower the phos. levels.

Be careful with the fish oil as it likely contains prEformed vitamin A and D3...but then the vet should know this...and about the interaction of the D3 with the vitamin A. How is it supposed to help the kidneys??

Oatmeal and bran are high in phosphorus....so I would remove them from the food for your insects since you are trying to lower the phos. levels.

Be careful with the fish oil as it likely contains prEformed vitamin A and D3...but then the vet should know this...and about the interaction of the D3 with the vitamin A. How is it supposed to help the kidneys??

Thanks on the oatmeal/bran info. Didn't know they were so high in P. Will dump them. Any suggestion on what to keep the supers on and gut load with?

I believe his reasoning for the fish oil is omega 3 fatty acids help support the kidneys.

Regarding Fish Oil, I found some at a local organics/health food store store. None were listed as USP or "pharmaceutical grade". I did settle on soft-gels thinking I could just cut them open as needed. The specifics on the product are:

NOW Foods (manufacture)

Molecularly Distilled Omega-3

180 EPA / 120 DHA

Natural Fish Oil Concentrate 2.0 g, (2,000 mg)

Omega-3 Fatty Acids 680 mg

EPA 360 mg

DHA 240 mg

Other Omega-3 Fatty Acids 80 mg

with an additional ingredients of Vit. E as natural d-alpha trocopherol.

It contains fish (sardines,anchovies, mackerel), and soy derivatives. Does not contain sugar, salt, starch, yeast, gluten, corn, milk, egg, shellfish, or preservatives.

I have been reading a nutrition advisory paper on feeder insect supplementation by Roy D. McClements et al., that Ca:p should be at 1:1 but it is near impossible to acheive.

I greatly appreciate your input. Thank you.

I wish I had something else to add..other then the advise from Kinyonga .But it seems like you are doing a great job of trying to make her healthy and taking her to the vet. Your a very conscientious owner and I just want to commend you for that. I hope she gets better soon :)

I'm not a fish expert, but I think they contain prEformed A and D3. Don't have time to do a search for it right now. I've gutloaded /fed my supers the same greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, endive, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, etc.) that I give the crickets. It must be okay for them since I have a superworm "eco-system" running in my turtle cage....and its been there for years!

You said..."I believe his reasoning for the fish oil is omega 3 fatty acids help support the kidneys"...that sounds right to me. Flax oil contains omega 3 too but you'd have to check with the vet to see if its okay to use since I've never tried it and I'd hate to be misleading you.

I wish I had something else to add..other then the advise from Kinyonga .But it seems like you are doing a great job of trying to make her healthy and taking her to the vet. Your a very conscientious owner and I just want to commend you for that. I hope she gets better soon :)
Thank you, you are kind. I do hope she is able to pull out of this -- I want her to have quality of life. I am quilte fond of her.:)
I'm not a fish expert, but I think they contain prEformed A and D3. Don't have time to do a search for it right now. I've gutloaded /fed my supers the same greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, endive, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, etc.) that I give the crickets. It must be okay for them since I have a superworm "eco-system" running in my turtle cage....and its been there for years!

You said..."I believe his reasoning for the fish oil is omega 3 fatty acids help support the kidneys"...that sounds right to me. Flax oil contains omega 3 too but you'd have to check with the vet to see if its okay to use since I've never tried it and I'd hate to be misleading you.

I am working on the eco-system. Have managed to pupate to beetles but no yung'uns yet. The reason I have gone with a substrate is to help keep humidty down in the tubs which can wreck havoc if not carefully monitored.

If I get a chance today I will look into the fish oil issue further and will email the vet re Flax oil.

Many thanks.:)

I don't know if it matters but with the superworms, I keep a piece of rotting wood in the cage...they seem to like to live in/under it and possibly eat it too. I don't know if it has anything to do with the reason they complete the cycle or not.

Back
Top Bottom