Changing things around

mvad

Established Member
Only 4 days into caring for my new veiled juviniel male. I would like to rearrange a few things like branches and possibly my misting nozzles. My question is should I wait for Monty to settle in more before I make changes to his new home?

While he is acclimating to his new home, it's best to not make any changes.
When you do make changes, make them gradual and not change a whole lot of things at one time.
It's also usually best to make cage changes when they are not in it.

So, after he feels safe and comfortable, let him out of the cage to free range a while. When he is out, make the changes.

How long does it take them to acclimate?

You will notice the change in his behavior. He will be less threatened when you open the cage or come around. He may start to wait for you to open the door for food, drink in front of you, walk out of his cage, feed from your hand, etc.... you will know, but usually 2-8 weeks. Depends on the individual. Keep in mind, some chams like the rearranging and others don't. You will soon learn which you have. Most of mine, seem to like to be returned to same neighborhood. The males are the ones who seem to favor change, always looking for the next wife (to take 1/2 their stuff :eek:)

You will notice the change in his behavior. He will be less threatened when you open the cage or come around. He may start to wait for you to open the door for food, drink in front of you, walk out of his cage, feed from your hand, etc.... you will know, but usually 2-8 weeks. Depends on the individual. Keep in mind, some chams like the rearranging and others don't. You will soon learn which you have. Most of mine, seem to like to be returned to same neighborhood. The males are the ones who seem to favor change, always looking for the next wife (to take 1/2 their stuff :eek:)

Hahahah! Funny funny. :) I got my new guy on Monday night and he hand fed the next morning and the day after but today he got all puffy and opened his mouth at me. He is 2 months old(Ambilobe). I have to change his cage though because the umbrella plant is dying from too much water.

Back
Top Bottom