Chameleons in Costa Rica?

Was wondering if there are any chameleons in Costa Rica. Its my gf's country of birth and she has family there so we are planning to visit sometime in the near future..she has told me about the vast fauna cr consists of and the dense, humid forests which get a good amount of rainfall..i think the weather is sub tropical. I have searched online and the info I found cosisted somewhere along the lines of > "no, there are no chams native to costa rica. If there would be they would have been brought from some other place" ..if that is so, anyone heard of sightings there?? The forest and other areas outside the city look so ideal..its also very humid.

Was wondering if there are any chameleons in Costa Rica. Its my gf's country of birth and she has family there so we are planning to visit sometime in the near future..she has told me about the vast fauna cr consists of and the dense, humid forests which get a good amount of rainfall..i think the weather is sub tropical. I have searched online and the info I found cosisted somewhere along the lines of > "no, there are no chams native to costa rica. If there would be they would have been brought from some other place" ..if that is so, anyone heard of sightings there?? The forest and other areas outside the city look so ideal..its also very humid.

chamelons are native from the old world so there are no native chameleons there

No, not that I'm aware of. I go to Costa Rica at least once a year for a few weeks and work with various animal rescues when I do. Lots of monkeys, iguanas, and macaws but no chameleons. If there were any sightings floating around I probably would have heard of them through these friends, since they know they're my exotic animal of choice.

What part of CR are you going to visit? San Jose?

Will be visiting San Jose, Limon and maybe Guana Casta...its a not so near future plan but not surprisingly this was one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind. Guess i'm not in a hurry now :)

They do have some pretty incredible snakes and croc's. But you should really plan to catch some fish and enjoy the weather. Check out what I caught there last year. I was in Los Suenos.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0133.jpg
    IMG_0133.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 271
They do have some pretty incredible snakes and croc's. But you should really plan to catch some fish and enjoy the weather. Check out what I caught there last year. I was in Los Suenos.

Man that would be so much ____ing fun lol

It was a trip of a lifetime, and won't be the only one. Costa Rica was really incredible, and pretty cost effective when it comes down to it. It was only about a 3 hour flight from Tampa. I have to go back to catch some rooster fish. Got the HUGE sailfish out of the way on the 1st trip.

Yea, that's why I go back all the time. My family loves the country so much my father opened an office in San Jose nearly two decades ago. It's a really beautiful country and the people are great. It doesn't matter how many hours into the wilderness you are - every single tiny village in the middle of nowhere has a school house with a teacher, and you can definitely tell there's an excellent education level in the country as a whole.

I was in Guanacaste on my last trip, it was one of the stops on my trip around the west coast. It's a really neat area, full of really beautiful caves and spectacular beaches surrounded by cliffs. Rincon De La Vieja has a little reptile zoo run by a really knowledgeable young man full of all the native snake and lizard goodness, both venomous or otherwise, that's kind of fun to check out if you're in the area looking at volcanoes.

Sorry to say there are no chameleons of any kind in Costa Rica, I used to live there for a long time and if there was any chameleons there I probably would have a ton.

I believe there are some anolis species there. Not chams, but still cool to see in their natural environment.

Back
Top Bottom