Chameleons for sale for 1 dollar in the 60-70's

MK1

Ive been think about posting this for a while but never have. I wanted to know if anyone else has heard the stories of baby chams being sold at county fairs for 1 dollar with a string attached to them and a safety pin to Pin them to your shirt. My mom said all the kids would get one and walk around with baby chams tied to their shirt like a sheriff's badge.

Do any of the older members remember such a practice? Ah the good ole days..:confused:

Mike

I think there is one or 2 of these threads from the year 2009 about exactly this. Quite weird...maybe they were Anoles?

They were Anole lizards but they called them Chameleons They had little chains around their necks:eek:

I had some when I was a kid. probably got them at the fair,you know back when you had to wind up your telephone.:)

Ive been think about posting this for a while but never have. I wanted to know if anyone else has heard the stories of baby chams being sold at county fairs for 1 dollar with a string attached to them and a safety pin to Pin them to your shirt. My mom said all the kids would get one and walk around with baby chams tied to their shirt like a sheriff's badge.

Do any of the older members remember such a practice? Ah the good ole days..:confused:

Mike

lol early 90's parsons could be purchased for $150.00 us... lol don't know what it was like in the 80's

You people are making me feel old!!!Yea, way back when, my parents took me to the Del Mar fair and got me one of those Anoles on a leash!!! Kinda sad now that you think about it!!! And I too got one of those "cheap" parsons from a buddy who had imported some in the 90's...Paid 70 bucks each!!!!!

Being one of the older members:( I remember seeing goldfish and baby iguanas.In fact I think we had one from the fair.My dad built a really big plexiglass cage for it and spent alot of time trying to take care of it.But back then nobody knew about MBD, UVB or calcium supplements.I imagine it died as I dont remember it much beyond a foot long and then it "disappeared"..
Plus there was no internet.They never had a chance unless you could keep them outdoors.
Animals as prizes or gifts are never a good idea..

I also remember anoles being called chameleons.In fact for the longest time I thought they were.

Our county fair has iguanas still every year as prizes. Makes me sick walking around watching kids take them on rides and things. Last year there was two teenage boys playing catch with one. I yelled at them and they took of running. I know that they don't have feeling like humans but they're truely tortured.

Mike
I found this post because no one believes me when I tell them this: I remember vendors walking around the LA county fair circa 1970 selling chameleons held to a multicolored cardboard display by elastic bands around their necks and at back legs. Each was on a different color square! Glad to know it wasn’t a sick dream my mind made up.
joe

Who ever thought it was a good idea to do this to an animal? I know it was like in the 70s but still.. jmo
Probably the same people who thought it was a good idea to put goldfish in 4" globes and toss ping-pong balls at them to win one, or sell baby red-eared sliders in cardboard take-out containers.

Animals sold in pet supply chains are intended as impulse purchases; they're the lure to sell (IMO) overpriced—and often useless or inappropriate—supplies.

Our county fair has iguanas still every year as prizes. Makes me sick walking around watching kids take them on rides and things. Last year there was two teenage boys playing catch with one. I yelled at them and they took of running. I know that they don't have feeling like humans but they're truely tortured.
Did you mean teenage boys or iguanas? :unsure:

They both have feelings one is just less complicated than the other. Fear and pain are feelings and it is good that someone went to the trouble to correct their behavior so they can learn.

I don't think it was that long ago that I saw beetles being "leashed", bedazzled and sold to wear.

They both have feelings one is just less complicated than the other. Fear and pain are feelings and it is good that someone went to the trouble to correct their behavior so they can learn.

I don't think it was that long ago that I saw beetles being "leashed", bedazzled and sold to wear.
I know they both have feelings. I was joking.
This whole thread is just TERRIBLE.

Back
Top Bottom