Chameleons for sale for 1 dollar in the 60-70's

The sad fact is that in most of the world has few laws to prevent the poor treatment of animals. In some it is starting, but it is a way of thinking that needs to change. All animals deserve proper care. This is one of the things I like about Petr Necas. Though he can be harsh it is his belief that all animals in our care, including feeder insects, should be given the best care. It is our moral responsibility once we take them from nature.

There used to be a lady at the reptile shows years ago who had a chameleon on a very short "leash" so it had to sit on her shoulder all the time and couldn't go anywhere. I felt so sorry for it.

I also found a alligator in the ditch in October beside my neighbor's house when I was a kid. It was almost unable to move due to the cold weather in Ontario that day. It was maybe 20" long. I went home and got my Dad's leather work gloves and picked it up and carried it home and put it in my bathtub. By the time the humane society came to get it, it was very lively and they had a lot of "fun" trying to get it out if the tub! I was glad I could save it from certain death. (The kid who owned it released it because it was getting too big for him to keep. He should have returns it to the pet store.)

There used to be a lady at the reptile shows years ago who had a chameleon on a very short "leash" so it had to sit on her shoulder all the time and couldn't go anywhere. I felt so sorry for it.
There was a woman making the rounds at local reptile shows the year BC with an adult iguana on her chest/shoulder. Quite a few (IMO) idjits do the same with bearded dragons.

While waiting to be picked up from a major show the same year, there was a kid—maybe 12-ish—with a baby lizard he just bought in a take-out container—also waiting to be picked up. Curious, I asked him what he had there. "A tegu," he replied. I asked if he knew how big they got. He shrugged. 😔

To be fair, I was 7, and can’t go back and fix it. Very closely look at the girls shirt, it was $1 at the Pomona County Fair 1969

IMG_6500.jpeg

My co worker told me she got one at the fair as a kid and described this very thing, she also said she fed it raw hamburger 😳

Back
Top Bottom