Chameleons "bottom" sticking out

Camoflauge

:confused: My chameleon's "bottom" seems to come out like hes about to use the bathroom but it just pops out for a little while then goes back in. PLEASE HELP!

Hi welcome to the forum. As long as it goes back its normal. It is called his hemipenis and he will have two. Consider yourself flashed.:D

Hi welcome to the forum. As long as it goes back its normal. It is called his hemipenis and he will have two. Consider yourself flashed.:D

I was wondering this too.

My chams "butt" comes out AS WELL AS his two hemipenes.. And then they all go back in.

The only time you gotta worry is if they don't go back in, right? :p

I was wondering this too.

My chams "butt" comes out AS WELL AS his two hemipenes.. And then they all go back in.

The only time you gotta worry is if they don't go back in, right? :p

That's right. If it doesn't go back in it's prolapsed and he will need serious help to get it back in!

I'll try but im kinda new to this Forums thing I dont really know how to post pictures. But nothing really sticks out except for the layer of skin that stays inside the body.

often if they have certain type of intestinal parasites they may also prolapse part of their intestine. like any prolapse it’s safe as long as it goes back in, but you might want to have a fecal checked. particularly if you think it might be more tissue than just the hemipenes.

Well I never really see anything come out and it does look like just his inner skin but now it doesnt come out,if it does not as much as it did, but when it did do that he would let his back legs hang.
thanks for the help.:)

It doesnt seem to happen anymore if it does its not very much. But when he did do it alot, he let his legs hang. And it was only inner tissue nothing else (that I could see).
Thanks for the help

Some males tend to get the (Red Rocket) effect when excited or when they or going to the bathroom. As others have said, as long as it returns to its rightful resting spot, consider it like a excited doggy..sometimes..it just happens. If you ever have a moment when the hemipenes are sticking out for awhile, it may be best to carefully moisten it either by light misting or a wet q-tip can be used to not only wet it, but maybe motivate the young man to retract it. Monitor your guy carefully until he stops poking it out, a prolapse is a nightmare and can cost a pretty penny at the vets with no guarantee it wont happen again. Good luck

It's his thingy and you may find a crusty sperm color discharge in your cage as well. Normal unless you notice blood and doesn't go back in. Just happens after a stool maybe it helps push out the feces. My panther chameleon did this a lot. I would worry more and focus on the smell and color of feces and urates. Learned from a vet stools tell you something is going on. Stool be tested only way to know.

It's his thingy and you may find a crusty sperm color discharge in your cage as well. Normal unless you notice blood and doesn't go back in. Just happens after a stool maybe it helps push out the feces. My panther chameleon did this a lot. I would worry more and focus on the smell and color of feces and urates. Learned from a vet stools tell you something is going on. Stool be tested only way to know.

Just to let you know, it's not always the hemipenes.

Vent prolapse happens too. Sometimes all three "thingies" (vent, hemipenes) come out at once, but there should be no worry as long as they go back in.

If they stay out, however, you have an issue.

Back
Top Bottom