Chameleons are important.

bloftis1

Avid Member
I just wanted to come on here after realization of how important they are and how important my cham is to me. My chameleon rupee has helped me so much through just this 1 month of having him almost 2 months now. I have depression. But, with him through all my breakdowns and everything he's something I look forward to everyday, something to look forward to and take care of. He honestly keeps me going, I think of it like this if I were gone and no one else could take care of him he would be gone too. And I'm sure he looks forward to me taking care of him, feeding him everyday, delicious food, that sweet basking he loves, letting him go outside and enjoy nature and the sun. All in all, he really does mean a lot to me, everyone else here can atleast agree their chams have a special place in their heart for them.

I think this sentiment cannot be emphasized enough! I struggle with depression and anxiety, myself, and for a good 3 or 4 years I was so entrenched in the muck of mental illness that my love (and ability to care) for chameleons had to take a backseat. Just in this past year I managed to get myself and my pesky brain chemicals better under control and stepped back into the hobby. Just like you, coming home to my chameleon every day and spending mornings misting and feeding brings so much light and joy to my life, it really can't be understated.

We're all in this together, both humans and our chameleon overlords :love:

I think this sentiment cannot be emphasized enough! I struggle with depression and anxiety, myself, and for a good 3 or 4 years I was so entrenched in the muck of mental illness that my love (and ability to care) for chameleons had to take a backseat. Just in this past year I managed to get myself and my pesky brain chemicals better under control and stepped back into the hobby. Just like you, coming home to my chameleon every day and spending mornings misting and feeding brings so much light and joy to my life, it really can't be understated.

We're all in this together, both humans and our chameleon overlords :love:
:)Crazy how such things can change and help our lives and have such a big impact.

Chameleons teach us to take things slow. To absorb and take notice of all around us. Chameleons teach patience and harmony with what is around us and them. They are a member of the family that aids in communal harmony. As long as we stop, as you all have said to do, to take the world in as they do while either feeding or watering or simply sitting in the sun with them in the mornings, you will have a more peaceful life. :)

Mine surely keeps me out of mischief! Lol, probably mostly due to the sheer amount of them we have here at Nuts Over Chamelens! Haha. But taking care of them never feels like work! I love being with them and taking care of them! They must be giving of some invisible happy juice that oozes in to our hearts and make us happy......

I love this thread and that’s someone @bloftis1 said it. My Cham is actually helping me get through a pretty hard emotional time RIGHT now ...A new and interesting hobby...suggestion from the Doc. But I didn’t know I would have affection for a reptile. I had wanted a Cham for 2 years...I wasn’t sure, but how quickly this (to me) “fragile” young little guy has me wishing him the best I can do. Like my kids...and my wife ...and she agrees it’s something that calms me to take care of him so thoughtfully and carefully. My kids are teens, take me for dinner dad, then leave me alone...lol. He gives affection by silently growing and doing cool stuff so I can have a laugh. Pooping with white on the end( cool I think to myself... still doing good Harry):ROFLMAO: “poop thread”..trolling around and hanging all over his enclosure. And what distinctly looks like a smile when I feed and mist each time...or so I think anyway. Good night guys. Nice post.

I'm glad your animal is of great support to you but in all fairness a bearded dragon would give the same effect and give more interaction/affection in return.

I think something to care for can be of great importance for a human. It's great to spend some time taking care of your animal when you had a rough day. You'll get some daily distraction from the hassle that's life, some relaxation after a hard day and something you enjoy doing.
Something you do for you, something you accomplish.

So I guess I'm saying it's all in you!
Do something you like every day, accomplish something every day because accomplishment brings satisfaction. Do something that makes you feel proud of you. In the end you are the most important person in your life, you need to allow yourself some time to enjoy your life, doesn't really matter what it is you do as long as it takes you away from the daily drag.

See i said the same thing twice!

I'm glad your animal is of great support to you but in all fairness a bearded dragon would give the same effect and give more interaction/affection in return.

I think something to care for can be of great importance for a human. It's great to spend some time taking care of your animal when you had a rough day. You'll get some daily distraction from the hassle that's life, some relaxation after a hard day and something you enjoy doing.
Something you do for you, something you accomplish.

So I guess I'm saying it's all in you!
Do something you like every day, accomplish something every day because accomplishment brings satisfaction. Do something that makes you feel proud of you. In the end you are the most important person in your life, you need to allow yourself some time to enjoy your life, doesn't really matter what it is you do as long as it takes you away from the daily drag.

See i said the same thing twice!
Yes sir...beardies are cool too, but every chameleon keeper was a first timer once...I think I made the right choice...great advice, enjoy your day!

It also breaks my little heart when both of their little eyes just look at you. :love: Anyone else relate? Lol!

CHICKENPAW.JPG

150% !!!! :love::love::love::love:
Even if this is a "I'ma cutchu" look :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I suffer with depression and anxiety as well and I can definitely say after reading this threat that I noticed how having my little boy has kept my head very busy lately. Just today I went diving in the FL keys and I was telling my sister how I couldn’t wait to get back home so I could see my baby. I’m such an impatient person, and when I don’t have control over a situation I get very frustrated. It took me a while to accept that my chameleon isn’t always super stoked to see me. I’ve really learned to be patient with him and to let go of wanting things to happen my way all the time. The first couple of weeks I had him I was set on handling him every day because no matter what I WAS gonna make sure he got used to me. Now we respect each other’s space. I only handle him when I’m gonna take him out for some sun (maybe 2-3 times a week), and I’m actually okay with it :) Also I’ve always liked doing crafty stuff but with my depression I hadn’t really had the motivation. A lot of days, just getting out of bed or even thinking feels like such a mission. Well now I’m constantly looking for new projects, ways to improve his enclosure, and have been looking into the possibility lately of buying a big piece of furniture and trying to convert it into a habitat for him. I know it sounds really simple and insignificant, but for someone that struggles with depression and doesn’t medicate it really feels huge.

I suffer with depression and anxiety as well and I can definitely say after reading this threat that I noticed how having my little boy has kept my head very busy lately. Just today I went diving in the FL keys and I was telling my sister how I couldn’t wait to get back home so I could see my baby. I’m such an impatient person, and when I don’t have control over a situation I get very frustrated. It took me a while to accept that my chameleon isn’t always super stoked to see me. I’ve really learned to be patient with him and to let go of wanting things to happen my way all the time. The first couple of weeks I had him I was set on handling him every day because no matter what I WAS gonna make sure he got used to me. Now we respect each other’s space. I only handle him when I’m gonna take him out for some sun (maybe 2-3 times a week), and I’m actually okay with it :) Also I’ve always liked doing crafty stuff but with my depression I hadn’t really had the motivation. A lot of days, just getting out of bed or even thinking feels like such a mission. Well now I’m constantly looking for new projects, ways to improve his enclosure, and have been looking into the possibility lately of buying a big piece of furniture and trying to convert it into a habitat for him. I know it sounds really simple and insignificant, but for someone that struggles with depression and doesn’t medicate it really feels huge.

I've had my fair share of struggles with depression and anxiety too, including some pretty spells in my past. I still have to keep things in check for sure. I do think that my new adventure in getting a chameleon has a little to do with all of this, but I also think that no one aspect of a person's life is completely independent/separate of the other parts. I think the WHOLE story of a person, and a chameleon owner, is a part of this process and a part of life. What really drew me to get a chameleon is the attention to detail; keeping busy helps me stay in an "upward spiral" rather than a downward spiral.

Also, like many of these threads talk about, chameleons aren't known to love being handled, and I'm actually okay with that. To me, this adventure and new pet is all about looking forward to coming home to a pet to look after that also fits my lifestyle and personality. My sisters [just the other day] said something along the lines of, "why don't you just get a dog or cat?" My answer to satisfy them was as simple as, "When have you ever known me to do the 'normal' thing?" but really, it's more complicated. It's the whole story that matters to our lives. I love that an ideal chameleon enclosure includes loads of live plants and greenery to also take care of (scientific studies show that this can improve depression and anxiety!!). I also love that taking care of a chameleon really does require managing a part of the food chain, starting with gutloading your feeders (filling my inner science nerd, haha!!)!

Whenever you're lacking the motivation and feeling that awful weight come back, never give up in finding something to inspire you! It could be a small project for your cham's enclosure, it could be starting a whole new reptile enclosure, it could be a completely different hobby or anything really. To me, the most important thing is just never giving up in that there's always something out there that will help me overcome anything that comes my way. Feel free to message me anytime :)

Amazing. I can relate a bit with that.. :) All in this together!

Back
Top Bottom