Chameleons are important.

I suffer with depression and anxiety as well and I can definitely say after reading this threat that I noticed how having my little boy has kept my head very busy lately. Just today I went diving in the FL keys and I was telling my sister how I couldn’t wait to get back home so I could see my baby. I’m such an impatient person, and when I don’t have control over a situation I get very frustrated. It took me a while to accept that my chameleon isn’t always super stoked to see me. I’ve really learned to be patient with him and to let go of wanting things to happen my way all the time. The first couple of weeks I had him I was set on handling him every day because no matter what I WAS gonna make sure he got used to me. Now we respect each other’s space. I only handle him when I’m gonna take him out for some sun (maybe 2-3 times a week), and I’m actually okay with it :) Also I’ve always liked doing crafty stuff but with my depression I hadn’t really had the motivation. A lot of days, just getting out of bed or even thinking feels like such a mission. Well now I’m constantly looking for new projects, ways to improve his enclosure, and have been looking into the possibility lately of buying a big piece of furniture and trying to convert it into a habitat for him. I know it sounds really simple and insignificant, but for someone that struggles with depression and doesn’t medicate it really feels huge.
I have severe anxiety attacks, take meds 6 times a day. People have noticed now. This is a change, I’ve had these attacks for more than ten years, I turned 40 this year...people are looking at me differently , my doctor is wheening me off the meds now...trying some more holistic approaches. But yes, I have body tremors, cold sweats, several times a week. I once worked for a horrible horrible person who actually enjoyed stimulating these “fits” if you will. She and HR came up with a plan where she’s basically never able to speak to me again, as she was caught in the act, and I had witnesses finally. I work for an incredible manager now! I have adult coloring books, really cool ones, everything to oil paint (and had training) but Harry HAS TO be attended too and very carefully and thoroughly.bso I cannot just wake up, iron my work clothes and forget everything else. This animal depends on me multiple times a day. So I agree , this can be a great hobby for someone who needs this type of wholistic therapy. Good luck to you. I know how hard days can be. Keep your head up! Smile at your Cham (y);):)

I can relate to the peace and joy my chameleons bring however they are more solitary creatures not unlike myself. I don’t think I get the same comfort let’s say that my boxer/lab gives me from them but do to the amount of work involved my brain has to go somewhere else and not stay focused on any one thing to long. With the upkeep of feeders, babies and my two males half the day is gone before I realize it. I got into this hobby after a horrific even in my life and I needed the focus these lovely animals bring. The past two years I have been through what should of been a simple divorce and court proceedings surrounding abuse on my son and I from my husband. While I have had to surrender forgiveness to someone who was not sorry and recreate my life around simple joy...I found that these amazing creatures while not warm and welcoming are a still amazing. That said though my one male is much like my dog his personality is completely different from my first male. Gizmoto runs down the vines to get to me when I open the door and even sits there leaning out with his tongue half loaded to get that feeder. He hangs upside down and hunts and is just a joy to observe. I am thankful someone else started this post and confirmed I am not alone in the comfort these guys bring. I push my knowledge to create the little piece of Madagascar in my home for them and that gives me something like a mini rainforest to welcome a escape while watching them just be chameleons....when they aren’t hidden in their bush lol. I feel like here in the forums we have created a small family encompassing a deep love for all things chameleon. Thank you for sharing!

I can relate to the peace and joy my chameleons bring however they are more solitary creatures not unlike myself. I don’t think I get the same comfort let’s say that my boxer/lab gives me from them but do to the amount of work involved my brain has to go somewhere else and not stay focused on any one thing to long. With the upkeep of feeders, babies and my two males half the day is gone before I realize it. I got into this hobby after a horrific even in my life and I needed the focus these lovely animals bring. The past two years I have been through what should of been a simple divorce and court proceedings surrounding abuse on my son and I from my husband. While I have had to surrender forgiveness to someone who was not sorry and recreate my life around simple joy...I found that these amazing creatures while not warm and welcoming are a still amazing. That said though my one male is much like my dog his personality is completely different from my first male. Gizmoto runs down the vines to get to me when I open the door and even sits there leaning out with his tongue half loaded to get that feeder. He hangs upside down and hunts and is just a joy to observe. I am thankful someone else started this post and confirmed I am not alone in the comfort these guys bring. I push my knowledge to create the little piece of Madagascar in my home for them and that gives me something like a mini rainforest to welcome a escape while watching them just be chameleons....when they aren’t hidden in their bush lol. I feel like here in the forums we have created a small family encompassing a deep love for all things chameleon. Thank you for sharing!
Dear golly! I am sorry for the pain along your road! I am however glad for you for the amazing adaptability you have found and for the hidden strength you did not know you have! I have found for myself that every time I walk through hell I learn so much that helps me enjoy and appreciate the wonders of life more!

And by golly, you need a sweet, cuddly nice chameleon that could be more like your doggy! Out of the (let's say roughly) 80 chameleons that we currently have, only 3 are still looking at me with suspicion! Haha, they will come around!

Hang in there! You will be fine!

To everyone that replied to my last post on this thread thank you. I read a few of the responses yesterday but wanted to really take my time to sit and read what everyone has to say. The fact that people don’t understand depression and look at me weird when I’m in the middle of a panic attack really makes everything so much worse. It’s made my self esteem and confidence plumet to the ground. Your responses really warm my heart and make me feel so much better. It really is so nice to be understood. <3

To everyone that replied to my last post on this thread thank you. I read a few of the responses yesterday but wanted to really take my time to sit and read what everyone has to say. The fact that people don’t understand depression and look at me weird when I’m in the middle of a panic attack really makes everything so much worse. It’s made my self esteem and confidence plumet to the ground. Your responses really warm my heart and make me feel so much better. It really is so nice to be understood. <3
:)Of course we are here for you on the forums :love:

Dear golly! I am sorry for the pain along your road! I am however glad for you for the amazing adaptability you have found and for the hidden strength you did not know you have! I have found for myself that every time I walk through hell I learn so much that helps me enjoy and appreciate the wonders of life more!

And by golly, you need a sweet, cuddly nice chameleon that could be more like your doggy! Out of the (let's say roughly) 80 chameleons that we currently have, only 3 are still looking at me with suspicion! Haha, they will come around!

Hang in there! You will be fine!
Thank you! Yes that’s the right way to look at things. We are strengthened in the hard times and definitely appreciate the good in life especially the little things like friends and pets and breathing lol. I am hoping to keep my babies a bit more tame. My female was close to the wild lineage and getting her at a year of age was hard for her to come around to much to lovie sweetness...she did stop hissing at me and allowed me to pick her up. My Ambilobe boy is super eager to get close but mostly because I have food lol. My ambanja/ambilobe cross loves to be picked up to go outside but really is eager to run down my arm and look back at me with contempt. I guess I need a few more then..lol. You must be the chameleon whisperer. 80 you say...that’s awesome!

Thank you! Yes that’s the right way to look at things. We are strengthened in the hard times and definitely appreciate the good in life especially the little things like friends and pets and breathing lol. I am hoping to keep my babies a bit more tame. My female was close to the wild lineage and getting her at a year of age was hard for her to come around to much to lovie sweetness...she did stop hissing at me and allowed me to pick her up. My Ambilobe boy is super eager to get close but mostly because I have food lol. My ambanja/ambilobe cross loves to be picked up to go outside but really is eager to run down my arm and look back at me with contempt. I guess I need a few more then..lol. You must be the chameleon whisperer. 80 you say...that’s awesome!
Our motto is sweet chameleons only! If they do not tame they do not have what it takes to be one of our breeders! My wild caughts all take about 4 to 7 months to tame completely. With new ones there is minimal handling till they trust us. Then they guide the rest of the relationship till they are tamed. You will be surprised how much trust a chameleon can show!

I am right there with you!!! I’ve been fighting to stay sober for the past few months and Spyro coming into my life has been a true blessing. He gives me something to look forward to in the morning and when I come home, he helps me stay in a routine, and he motivates me to stay sober... so I can care for him properly and actually be “present” to watch him and be a part of his life. All the care I’ve put into him has inspired me to care better for myself as well. Especially with him coming to me in a rescue situation, it feels like we’ve been rehabbing each other. Best wishes to all :)

I am right there with you!!! I’ve been fighting to stay sober for the past few months and Spyro coming into my life has been a true blessing. He gives me something to look forward to in the morning and when I come home, he helps me stay in a routine, and he motivates me to stay sober... so I can care for him properly and actually be “present” to watch him and be a part of his life. All the care I’ve put into him has inspired me to care better for myself as well. Especially with him coming to me in a rescue situation, it feels like we’ve been rehabbing each other. Best wishes to all :)

Please don't give up. My boyfriend has been in NA and completely clean for two and a half years now and his life has completely changed. He died and had to be rescued and brought back to life and that's when he knew if he kept on living that life he was going to eventually run out of luck. He was lucky they found him on time or he would be gone today. I struggled with addiction for a short period of my life too. I had too much going on and started relying on substances to hide the pain, so I know the struggle of getting clean. It's SO worth it though. I'm rooting for you!!! :love:(y)

Very happy and glad for your boyfriend:) I may only be 14. But there was a time in my life a couple months ago where I indeed do somethings to just alter my mood and hide away from the pain. And I learned from that after just sitting in that quiet room with two officers explaining to me about everything and not to give up and rely on something to alter my mood, and they reminded me that it only would last temporarily and I would be able to pull myself through this.(y)

Very happy and glad for your boyfriend:) I may only be 14. But there was a time in my life a couple months ago where I indeed do somethings to just alter my mood and hide away from the pain. And I learned from that after just sitting in that quiet room with two officers explaining to me about everything and not to give up and rely on something to alter my mood, and they reminded me that it only would last temporarily and I would be able to pull myself through this.(y)

Agreed! It's never the solution. I went to a Reiki healing circle meditation last week (I go every Monday.. I have switched substances for spirituality and personal growth) and for some reason I could not stop crying the whole time. Mind you, this is a one hour long guided meditation. When we finished, I noticed that four more people in the class had been crying their eyes out as well! The Reiki master started talking about how when we don't deal with things they'll remain deep in our subconscious and still have a negative effect on us. I had no idea I still had all these emotions that I needed to let out. She compared it to school courses, where you need to actually study, pass your exams, and then you can actually pass on to the next class. If we don't pass the test, we have to keep taking the class till we do. Same with emotions and personal issues. We need to deal with them, hurt, cope, and come out on the other side. Hiding or ignoring them will not make them go away.

Last edited:
I know exactly where you're coming from, friend. I have suffered my whole life from depression. Most the time I'm able to manage, and by manage I mean plaster that fake smile on my face so no one sees the pain. And when I would try to tell people or explain I'd get the "but your life is so good, what do you have to be depressed about?" Which only makes me bottle up more.
3 years ago, my sister got my son a leopard gecko for Christmas, I had no idea how little lizard was going to change my life! I was (and still am) completely enamored by her. She opened the door to reptiles for me. Next came the bearded dragon, then my vieled chameleon, Loki. After that I rescued another leopard gecko from a bad home. But my passion definitely lives with my chameleon and recently I was thinking of adopting a panther chameleon, I was shopping for new enclosures and everything. Then last week fate stepped in, and I ended up rescuing a female vieled from a terrible home. I'm currently working to nurse her back to health. I constantly stress and worry over my chameleons, more then any of my other reptiles, but stress and worry are what I do best and it's better for me to focus that energy on them then the things I can't control.
They bring so much happiness to my life, it might drive my family crazy but they can see that happiness in me, so they let it slide. My husband will say "ANOTHER LIZARD?!" Then crack jokes about me being a crazy lizard lady.

Finding a "hobby" you love and are passionate about does wonders for your mental health, and it makes me happy to hear your chameleons are helping you through this crazy world as well.
So keep your head up, your cold blooded buddies need you as much as your need them :love:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom