Chameleon won’t go back in cage

Muffin28

I accidentally left my Veiled’s cage open too long and he came out. He is reluctant to go back in his cage now. I tried to bribe him with food but he isn’t having it.
He is in my room (door now closed) windows shut, and it is clean.

I left some dubias (his fave) in the cage and left the cage open with a small pothos and branches as a connecting way to go back inside.
Any other tips ? Should I just let him free range a little? He has never came out cause he is very timid

just don’t wanna stress him out more if I don’t have to
23F45A9E-CDB3-42D7-A392-E4C38109D53F.jpeg

Yeah so I would suggest getting him on to your hand. Sometimes a stick works but sometimes it can freak them out more. You would put one arm out for him and use the other hand to try to get him to step up... If he is a biter put on gloves of any kind. A lot of the times it is more a threat display but just in case better not to have skin exposed. Once on the arm get him to the cage and he should go in on his own.

Yeah so I would suggest getting him on to your hand. Sometimes a stick works but sometimes it can freak them out more. You would put one arm out for him and use the other hand to try to get him to step up... If he is a biter put on gloves of any kind. A lot of the times it is more a threat display but just in case better not to have skin exposed. Once on the arm get him to the cage and he should go in on his own.
Ok thank you for the glove advice!
Also, have you been bit before? Does it hurt? Obviously he’s tiny compared to me but still

Corral, corral!!! If he's in that position - he doesn't have many options, so corralling could work. Slowly have one hand behind him that puts pressure (spatial pressure, not physical!) on him to move forward either onto a stick or your hand.

Also - my previous veiled would get SO mad when "the stick" came...he would turn a horrible color, gape, and put his mouth right up to it. But, he would step onto it at the same time, if I gently nudged it under his feet. Never bit, but he sure as heck threatened to. Disclaimer - this method was only used when I needed him to go back like, right at that moment. Gloves ^ mentioned above ^ would be a good idea if you truly believe he will bite you.

Corral, corral!!! If he's in that position - he doesn't have many options, so corralling could work. Slowly have one hand behind him that puts pressure (spatial pressure, not physical!) on him to move forward either onto a stick or your hand.

Also - my previous veiled would get SO mad when "the stick" came...he would turn a horrible color, gape, and put his mouth right up to it. But, he would step onto it at the same time, if I gently nudged it under his feet. Never bit, but he sure as heck threatened to. Disclaimer - this method was only used when I needed him to go back like, right at that moment. Gloves ^ mentioned above ^ would be a good idea if you truly believe he will bite you.
Ok he has moved to the back of the cage since the previous photo so I can’t do that right now but every 5 mins are so he is slowly moving back to the side of the cage. I’m patiently waiting :(

and yea he doesn’t like the hand or the stick so I really do think he would bite.

I just wish I could telepathically tell him that he can trust me lol

Another option same concept. Lay a towel over your hand that you want him to come up on. Then use the other to try to get him to walk up. I am betting you are more freaked out than him right now. And honestly you getting him back in will cause less stress then him sitting there freaking out not knowing where he is lol

Wait I just realized he is up next to two walls huh? Try to turn off his cage lights. This may make him move into a different position.

Another option same concept. Lay a towel over your hand that you want him to come up on. Then use the other to try to get him to walk up. I am betting you are more freaked out than him right now. And honestly you getting him back in will cause less stress then him sitting there freaking out not knowing where he is lol
He moved literally to the back corner and I’m very short and can’t reach him even with a step stool :(

Back
Top Bottom