chameleon vivarium

squirrelsRepic

I have a sick veiled chameleon. I believe it is an LRI. I did my fair share of research and have been taking care of it. She does drink water though i haven't seen her eating. I only had her for five days now. I placed an order on a UVB light to help out. She currently lives in a ten gallon tank with a screen top. There are also branches sticking out of the tank so when she climbs out of the tank, she cant escape, but she can breathe all she wants. I wanted to setup the bottom of the tank with rocks, moss, and a small drip system that creates a small puddle. Is this a good idea? It will be quite nice when i add the plants aswell.

You've ordered a UVB light to help out?

You mean you haven't got one already? That's one of the basic things missing!

I have a sick veiled chameleon. I believe it is an LRI. I did my fair share of research and have been taking care of it. She does drink water though i haven't seen her eating. I only had her for five days now. I placed an order on a UVB light to help out. She currently lives in a ten gallon tank with a screen top. There are also branches sticking out of the tank so when she climbs out of the tank, she cant escape, but she can breathe all she wants. I wanted to setup the bottom of the tank with rocks, moss, and a small drip system that creates a small puddle. Is this a good idea? It will be quite nice when i add the plants aswell.

Unfortunately, your setup idea may add to her respiratory problems. The tank won't drain unless there is a carefully designed percolation system (the "false bottom" terrarium idea) and this will produce molds, fungi and bacteria as well as kill the plants eventually. The puddle and constant dripping will create a sort of bog instead. Not good for helping a LRI.

Why do you think she has a respiratory infection now? Please describe what she's doing. How old is she? Unless she's a small hatchling this setup isn't great. She may not be eating because she feels too exposed to view without foliage to hide in. She's very stressed by the move to a new home, so needs to feel more secure. The UVB light is necessary for her regardless. The sooner you can get one the better.

If you haven't already, please read through the Basic Chameleon Care links to improve your setup to give her the best chance. Do you have a herp vet? If she's sick she'll need vet care.

Last edited:
I feel badly for you chameleon. I would suggest you read some basic husbandry and care sheets and start over. The fact is you should have set up your enclosure correctly before buying a chameleon. I am a new chameleon owner also and did a ton of research before I actully got one. They have very specific needs. Good luck and I hope you Cham feels better.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

I know you can buy the screened enclosures online for about a third to half the cost they are in the stores. They are really nice and worth the money. As I have found out already, these guys are a lot more delicate and particular than other reptiles and amphibians. It is a must to try and get everything right. I am still learning myself, so don't feel bad! Don't give up.

Update

I bought this chameleon earlier this week. S/he is a baby so I knew that keeping her in a tank would be OK. I knew it was a RI when it's lungs began to swell up. There are plenty of places for her to hide in as there are artificial plants. I thought I had a UVB light but I found it dysfunctional.

I bought this chameleon earlier this week. S/he is a baby so I knew that keeping her in a tank would be OK. I knew it was a RI when it's lungs began to swell up. There are plenty of places for her to hide in as there are artificial plants. I thought I had a UVB light but I found it dysfunctional.

Please explain what you mean by "I knew it was RI when it's lungs began to swell up."

I do not want to offend you, it sounds like you want to help the chameleon. Your questions and diagnosing show you don't know what you are doing.

I would return the chameleon to the place you bought it, and spend many hours (AKA days) researching before you make another attempt at keeping a chameleon.

Nick Barta

Back
Top Bottom