Chameleon unidentified wound on side of body

Everybody stop panicking.

That is not CANV. It's a wound that is healing based on the second picture. Put a little neosporin on it a few times a week and I'd hazard a guess he'll be fine.I've used Purell too on a fresh injury or one where a scab got removed like yours. Chams skin is hydrophobic so unless there is a break in it ( a fresh wound or a removed scab ) some topicals don't penetrate.

Now if you can, take it to a vet for the official verdict. But DO take the before and after photos with you so you don't get prescribed something you don't need. Photos are very helpful to vets along with timelines.

P.S. looks like a burn or a gouge (like he got scratched or impaled by a branch when being removed) that is healing. Position of the injury seems odd for a burn though.

is neosporin safe for chams ? and you said you use purell, purell as in the hand sanitizer ? it won't sting his wound ?
yes I will be taking him to the vet soon, you're right it's always a good idea to be sure about this stuff.
also I agree, it's a very weird place for a burn but it seems like the most plausible answer. he could have had an accident with his owner before me for all I know, I adopted him a bit late (I'm guessing he's around 2 years, maybe)

I think it is a healing burn. I've noticed that when panthers burn, their colors in that location reverse into their "pajama colors". When I see that I immediately start treating with a Silvadene.

Is silvadene like neosporin ? also yeah heavily leaning toward he got burned somewhere and somehow on his little side, poor guy

Is silvadene like neosporin ? also yeah heavily leaning toward he got burned somewhere and somehow on his little side, poor guy
He could have just been tilted to his side and stayed in that position a bit too long and got a thermal burn. I had a panther that some how burned himself at least once a year, even with a 35w bulb.

Silvadene is a mostly a burn cream, but is also antibacterial. It goes by 1% silver sulfadiazine cream as well. It is a great thing to have in your first aid kit for chameleons. You can probably find it online, otherwise from your vet.

Either or. I've used neosporin plenty of times on simple wounds. Like Ponders said, Silvadene is good too. Considering yours is healing well At this point you might not need either but I'd put a dab on it anyway.

Yes Purell stings. Won't kill him. It's a last resort so if you have access to the other stuff use that first.

I do not know what wound it is, but it is clearly healing, i would have some antibiotic cream on it, to prevent infections

Back
Top Bottom