Chameleon turning white.

Appak

Hi people !

So i just bought my new chameleon, ( I think he's 2 years old ). He's a male and is starting to turn very white. I know they shed, but he's gone more and more white, but no "shed flakes".. What can this cause. His head is almost fully white, aswell as his tail ^_^

Please fill this out. It will help everyone be able to answer your question right.
Sorry about it being detailed and a lot. But details mean everything!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures would be very helpful!
35143863_1742808742479398_161173359361523712_n.jpg 35123426_1742808712479401_1012875669194932224_n.jpg
Sorry for bad picture, but he really dosen't want out of the cage right now. He's more white irl on the legs and tail than on the pictures..

Please fill this out. It will help everyone be able to answer your question right.
Sorry about it being detailed and a lot. But details mean everything!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

- Should i do this on my profile?

Still looks like dry skin to me. Keep the humidity up and consider putting him in the shower.
Face the shower head towards the wall and let the droplets hit him.
Sometimes, also, after a fresh shed, my boy will look like this as well until the next day. It’s good to make sure his skin is getting a lot of moisture.

Still looks like dry skin to me. Keep the humidity up and consider putting him in the shower.
Face the shower head towards the wall and let the droplets hit him.
Sometimes, also, after a fresh shed, my boy will look like this as well until the next day. It’s good to make sure his skin is getting a lot of moisture.
Should i be warm or cold water in the shower? Also the humidity in the cage is somewhat 60% all the time, and i usually mist him with a good amount.

60% is good. You could really even go up a little bit with it if he’s showing signs like he’s stressed or still stretching like he’s shedding.
The shower should be warm, but obviously not too warm.

60% is good. You could really even go up a little bit with it if he’s showing signs like he’s stressed or still stretching like he’s shedding.
The shower should be warm, but obviously not too warm.
Okay, is it okay to just keep misting him ever two hours or so?

Yeah, as long as the cage looks fully dry. Always let the cage fully dry before you do your next misting. But typically for me at least, two hours is enough time for it to dry.

Yeah, as long as the cage looks fully dry. Always let the cage fully dry before you do your next misting. But typically for me at least, two hours is enough time for it to dry.
Same, but thanks for the advice, i'll try to do my best. Im getting a much bigger and not a glass terrarium the upcoming week, so everything is becoming more pleasant for him ^_^

This look like a shed, no shower, do nothing because if you flood him with water the skin gonna just stuck in the body!
That makes zero sense. You should always moisturize your chams skin extra when they are shedding.
A shower has done nothing but make my chams sheds easier and quicker.
Not to mention that upping the humidity a little always helps with that too.
Not at all trying to step on your toes or anything, but all I’ve ever read or been told was to do that and it has always helped my chameleon and all others I have seen.

well i got a quick things fron Petr Necas, he is a good reference in cae of chameleon caring :

Petr Necas : Often, people ask: “What should I do when my chameleon is shedding?”
And often, many people rush with good advices like:
“Increase humidity!”
“Spray the enclosure!”
“Spray with warm water!”
All these recommendations are uncritically parroted for ages.
And, they all are totally WRONG.

WHY?
Increased humidity brings problems for shedding once it is in process!!!
In chameleons, unlike e.g. in snakes, the old skin gets separated from the new one by AIR LAYER.
So, if you increase the humidity or even spray, the old skin gets glued to the new one and the shedding process gets stuck!
On Contrary:
Keep the humidity low when the shedding happens, it is over in several hours.

Never spray chameleon with warm water! You will burn him! Warm perceived by humans is around 110F, even lukewarm is at our body-temperature at 98,6F: that is too high for a Chameleon!

Only in case the old shed gets stuck, make it moist with cold (room temperature) water and remove mechanically!
Never use any oil nor vaseline to do so! It is useless, it can be harmful! Water does the job best, easiest, most natural way!

Some people will object: but I was advised so for long time.
OK, please ignore it! We were also told for centuries, our earth is flat and people saying it was round were crucified...

Some people will object: but I spray my chameleon and it sheds!
OK, then please understand, he/she is shedding not BECAUSE you spray but DESPITE OF your spraying and you are lucky that it does not cause problems.

So,
“WHAT TO DO, once I notice my Chameleon is shedding?”
Do nothing!
Do not spray on him!
Do not spray the enclosure!
Do Not increase humidity!
Let him/her get rid of the old skin.

Back
Top Bottom