Chameleon stressed or sick?

Curly_Cham

I have a male vailed, about 8 months old. We moved him to the xl size reptibreeze (24x24x48) two days ago and he's been acting different since.

1. He usually eats about 10 large crickets a day (theyre gut loaded and I lightly dust them), but since new enclosure hes been eating about half that and is reluctant to eat out of my hand which is very unlike him.
2. He's moving around a lot but has chosen to climb the screen rather than the many sticks and vines most of the time. He just now fell off the screen from about 3/4 way up and landed on his feet at the bottom.
3. His poops are still looking good, moist and brown 3/4 and 1/4 white as usual.
4. He shedded his belly a little yesterday but has seemed to be finished with it today.

I'm really worried about him now since his falling. He's not acting like himself lately. Is he sick or is he still adjusting? How do i tell if he's just adjusting?

Ive attached a photo of his new set up.

Attachments

• 20180323_063542.jpg
    20180323_063542.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Please fill this out

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - male, veiled, about i months. Ive had him 4 months.
  • Handling - He comes out of his enclosure every other day.
  • Feeding - about 9 to 10 large crickets every morning. Crickets have fresh orange slices, apples,spinach,banana,and orange cubes every day. Once in a while a sliced strawberry too.
  • Supplements - all are dusted with reptical calcuim w/o d3 every day. Dusted with reptivite with d3 every saturday.
  • Watering - Little dripper water. Misting by hand half a bottle (1 cup bottle) 2 to 3 times a day. I dont always see him drink but once in a while i will.
  • Fecal Description - poop firm but moist. About 3/4 brown and 1/4 white. Slightly less thick than a pencil. Never been tested.
  • History - he has no history until today.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - xl reptibreeze screen enclosure 24x24x48.
  • Lighting - exotera reptiglow uvb 5.0 bulb. And aqua culture 75 watt heat bulb. On from 7am to 7pm.
  • Temperature - 90 to 95 in basking. 72 at floor. Home thermometer set to 70 all night so shouldn't be less than that. He has a digital thermometer in cage.
  • Humidity - aroumd 50 to 55. Misting regularly. Humidity gauge.
  • Plants - no live plants.
  • Placement - not high traffic, cage currently on floor, so top is 48 inches off floor.
  • Location - Minnesota, USA

Current Problem - I described all concerns in my original post. Please see that.

I would say put some live plants in to keep the humidity up veileds love eating plants so make sure it is safe non toxic. I would say put some more leaves at the top of the cage so he can feel safe while basking. Calcium with d3 no more then 2 times a month that’s assuming he don’t get any sunlight. Does he get any kind of sunlight because the calcium with D3 might need a different schedule then. Each time you spray just keep spraying for a couple minutes to try to influence him to drink. Also I would keep his cage on a table or something to get it off the floor they like to be up high nowhere near the floor.

Him falling is concerning.. did you see the entire event happen? Maybe he jumped since the enclosure is new or lost his footing.. I've seen my panther do it while hanging on a plant outside to get down. His appetite may have slowed down, they usually do around a year old. My two year old eats only 3-4 days a week now.

You said..."Crickets have fresh orange slices, apples,spinach,banana,and orange cubes every day. Once in a while a sliced strawberry too"...spinach binds calcium so I would use dandelion greens, kale, endive, collards, carrots, sweet red pepper, sweet potato, squash, zucchini, etc. Banana is not a good choice either.

Please post some recent photos.
Does he have all his toenails?

He's doing better and seems to be adjusting and is avting more himself and climbing safely everywhere. But he is refusing to eat more than 2 crickets a day, sometimes wont eat any crickets. I've gotten some bsfl and he'll eat as many of those as I'll allow... but I'm afraid to let him have too many so I limit to like 5-6 medium ones a day. How many of these should be allowed for him? I just weighed him this morning and he's 4.5 oz now.

About what age should I expect his eating to slow down drastically like @Crashbandit05 mentioned?

I attached a pic of him from last week on my shoulder.

Attachments

• IMG_20180329_193004_359.jpg
    IMG_20180329_193004_359.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 43
Back
Top Bottom