chameleon sleeping not waking up

i was sleeping, takin me a bigg nap, then i woke up and fed my chameleons Leah some worms, or I tried. she normally wakes up when I tap the cage cause she's really sensitive to movement. i panicked hen I had been tapping and gently shaking the cage so she felt the movement, but didn't wake up. i reached into the cage and started stroking her back and she didn't respond, her eyes didn't even move behind her eyelids I was like holy crap what is going on at this point and I was like what do I do. i started holding her on both sides and lifting her off of the beach. i normally don't do this as it can be dangerous for their bones to lift them and not let them crawl onto you, but this was an unusual circumstance, requiring unusual practices. she was puffing up in her sleep and never opened her eyes until she was completely puffed up for a couple of seconds. she woke up but she just been acting unusual recently. i believe it might be that I started her on her calcium supplements (like I should have a month ago) but shes also on superworms, no longer the other worms she was on. any Ideas as to what happened? and if that's dangerous?

THose are very concerning symptoms. Even if your cham was previously “waking up” when you tapped in the cage, they shouldn’t be sleeping during the day. Is this the panther you wrote asked about in august? Or is it the veiled you wrote about last year?

I know you’ve filled it out before, but it is definitely helpful for people that want to assist you.

How to ask for help

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

this is the panther, but since then we have solved the back problem with time, and the chameleon in question was supposed to be a male but was sent a girl, so we have had some bts info I didn't post, but until now was doing fine,

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - nosy faly panther chameleon, if the handler was correct, 3.5 months, in my care 2 months
Handling - once a week or lesss
Feeding -mealworms. right now I cant find anything her mouth size that is nutritious like I want it to be so we've been feeding her mealworms for about 2 weeks now, with other bugs sprinkled in. i started tofeed her halves of superworms dusted real nicely and she used to eat them but today has been an off day for her i guess :/
About once a day, 5 worms or so,
Supplements -just started dusting with flukers non D3 dust
Watering - I set a drop on for about a half hour and if she's thirsty she'll go for it while I'm watching most of the time.
Fecal Description - dark sepia, once a day, no testing. Urate has the typical orange bit but its no more than 1/2 of the urate at any given time, normally 1/4
History - was shipped very safely and I'm glad I chose tortoise town, had a spine curve problem but has been resolved, and has had some minor minor dehydration which I thought was serious before doing a lot of research.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen all around with fake ferns sewed to the outside for privacy. 18*24*20
Lighting - flukers bulb 50 watt 6 inches from the top. Lighting from 8am-8pm
Temperature - I have a digital hygrometer that tells me I've got 79 basking and 76-74 ambient/bottom of the cage (unideal, I would have it warmer but my family refuses to use the heater until it gets colder)
Humidity - 50 percent humidity. I spray, but my house just maintains this easily. I use a hygrometer thermometer
Plants - ficus benjamin's and verigated pothos (both are real and covering the cage inside with cover)
Placement - it's in my room by my closet, across from my vivarium, it's in a low traffic area and it's 4 feet off the ground or so, on my dresser, by my bunk bed.
Location - the hell armpit that it south texas.

Current Problem SHE Is sleeping during the day, usually for only a couple seconds then opens her eye and returns to being an adorable chameleon, but earlier today i tried to wake her up(as she was sleeping again during the day) and when wouldn't wake up until i physically distressed her.

i couldnt take many as her lights had gone out, I haven't reset them for daylight savings yet, and so I had to turn on the light. i didn't want it to be on for very long
IMG_20211121_182047228.jpg
IMG_20211121_182059883.jpg

I haven't noticed her shape changing, or her attitude towards me changing, so I've been able to observe her, no changes in physical appearance.

No UVB light?

You didn't change the supplements like was suggested in that other thread.
i tried to put on the uvb light about a week ago but it was too big for the enclosure and fell off within a couple hours, and I haven't come up with a compromise yet, I've been very busy but I have this week off so I should have newfound time to work on the cage and her wellbeing.
no I did not change the supplements, maybe read what I said before about me just starting supplements and it would make more sense

So she's been 2 months without UVB from a light? What about sunlight? So the only supplement she's been getting is calcium for the last month?
Is it a long linear tube light or a compact that fell off the cage?
You need a bigger cage BTW.

i tried to put on the uvb light about a week ago but it was too big for the enclosure and fell off within a couple hours, and I haven't come up with a compromise yet, I've been very busy but I have this week off so I should have newfound time to work on the cage and her wellbeing.
no I did not change the supplements, maybe read what I said before about me just starting supplements and it would make more sense
The supplements are absolutely necessary as is the linear uvb. From your post it sounds like you've gotten a routine to your chameleon sleeping during the day but that's a pretty bad sign they should be asleep during the day. The enclosure is also far to small. Needs to be 24 inches by 24 inches by 48 inches tall.

Let me look at your other husbandry thread.

The supplements are absolutely necessary as is the linear uvb. From your post it sounds like you've gotten a routine to your chameleon sleeping during the day but that's a pretty bad sign they should be asleep during the day. The enclosure is also far to small. Needs to be 24 inches by 24 inches by 48 inches tall.

Let me look at your other husbandry thread.
i have a 3*2*5 cage waiting for her once she gets about an inch or twp longer, this one is not permanent, just a baby enclosure, as she is small still

she is so small that it would take hours for me to find her, and she doesn't know what to do when put in the big cage. the cage is also not ready for her. she needs to be bigger than she is now.
Many people think this but it's just not the case. You can start a small chameleon in it's "adult" cage. It's fine that the enclosure is not ready but the fact is she would be very comfortable there. Right away you need to figure out a way to make a linear uvb bulb work on your enclosure. You also need to be adding vitamin and calcium with D3 twice a month. Sounds like she's been a few months with no D3. Id bet not having uvb / supplements/ vitamins are contributing to her sleeping during the day.

Back
Top Bottom