chameleon sleeping not waking up

I agree with kinyonga. And I do understand the cage is big. From the looks of it you'll need to add more branches anyways. You want many many pathways in an enclosure. I'm not trying to argue with you about the cage size. I'd like to provide feedback that will help have a healthy chameleon. The supplements and the uvb linear light are things that need to happen ASAP.

With regard to the enclosure you have built--it looks like you have lights hanging on the inside? I would advise against this as the chameleon can screen climb and burn themselves. How do you plan to maintain water / humidity in an enclosed that large in Texas? It looks like it's right in carpet with no drainage. I know the enclosure is in process so these are just some things to think about. Also is the wood sealed?

With regard to the enclosure you have built--it looks like you have lights hanging on the inside? I would advise against this as the chameleon can screen climb and burn themselves. How do you plan to maintain water / humidity in an enclosed that large in Texas? It looks like it's right in carpet with no drainage. I know the enclosure is in process so these are just some things to think about. Also is the wood sealed?
yes, those were only in there because of the plants that I had growing in there, the cage is not finished. no its not sealed or drained, I'm working on a system. its difficult for me to find a proper place for the cage with all the optimal conditions, but I was planning on using storage bins cut in half (with something to cover the sharp cut edges) under the plants to catch the water, and I can seal the wood if you think I need to, but I didn't want to put something full of chemicals and toxic in the cage.

yes, those were only in there because of the plants that I had growing in there, the cage is not finished. no its not sealed or drained, I'm working on a system. its difficult for me to find a proper place for the cage with all the optimal conditions, but I was planning on using storage bins cut in half (with something to cover the sharp cut edges) under the plants to catch the water, and I can seal the wood if you think I need to, but I didn't want to put something full of chemicals and toxic in the cage.
If you use something to seal you would let it dry completely to let the VOCs "burn" off. Search the forums plenty of people have done it. You'll want to seal the wood bc otherwise the humidity / misting / water will effect the unsealed wood.

Can you adjust the lights / supplement stuff tomorrow?

IMHO...if you don't get her husbandry straightened out quickly she may not live very long.
I agree with kinyonga. And I do understand the cage is big. From the looks of it you'll need to add more branches anyways. You want many many pathways in an enclosure. I'm not trying to argue with you about the cage size. I'd like to provide feedback that will help have a healthy chameleon. The supplements and the uvb linear light are things that need to happen ASAP.
If you use something to seal you would let it dry completely to let the VOCs "burn" off. Search the forums plenty of people have done it. You'll want to seal the wood bc otherwise the humidity / misting / water will effect the unsealed wood.

Can you adjust the lights / supplement stuff tomorrow?
Ok, @kinyonga this is really stressing me out. I am going to make some changes right away, if I do that do you think she will be ok? I am coming up with a way to keep the uvb light above her and will use it along with the other one from now on. Also, first thing tomorrow morning I am going to get some black soldier fly larvae to feed her with D3 supplements. I will get something to seal the wood and start to let it dry as well. As for the comment by @AnamCara , how would you suggest going about putting more branches in the cage? unfortunately, the design that we made makes the whole front side just the door, so we can't attach branches to it. I also think I am going to only use half of the cage but how should I divide it? Also, we have a large corn plant in the cage that we thought the chameleon could manage walking on once she was big enough, but atm since she still is only about 6 inches tip to tail, I am worried that she will slip on it. What are your thoughts?

Make sure you don't swing the other way with supplements. You should use plain phosphorous free calcium for every feeding except twice a month when you alternate vitamins and calcium with D3. The cage is very wide and without playing around with it myself I can't tell you how to add more branches. From here it looks like there are only two or three in there. You could get some fake vines until vines from foliage grow in but be sure not to use the black exoterra ones.

Maybe Kinyonga can give you advice on how to split the cage, I'm not sure how I would do that.

Your original, unedited comment made it sound like she regularly falls asleep because you said you usually tap the enclosure to wake her up. This time she didn't wake up right away. How long has she been sleeping / closing her eyes during the day? Has she ever been to a vet for a checkup? Do you have a good chameleon vet near you?

sorry, i misspoke, i meant to say withOUT the D3.

i feel horrible about this, just so you know

she has been sleeping a bit or closing her eyes pretty regularly since I got her, I chalked it up to her being in a new enclosure and it being exhausting traveling, and then that shes trying to adjust, and recently I've had nothing to chalk it up to but I had not found a reason why she would be sleeping, she has been eating, drinking, sleeping all night (as far as I can tell), getting enough hours of the day of light/dark, I figured everything was fine and she just does that as an individual but I totally forgot that the light wasn't on the enclosure, and that may have a factor in the quality of life and wellbeing. shes always been in her sleeping spot when I get home because I leave for school before the sun and come home right before the sun goes down. i feed her while shes still got a light on, and I have to tap the enclosure to get her awake, figuring she just goes to sleep a bit before the light turns off. but recently as I've been home more, I realized ill catch her with her eyes closed often enough for it to be concerning.

Try not to feel bad. Your here and you'll learn new things and make adjustments and help give her a good life.

Maybe head to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
And read through everything and start from the beginning. There are many adjustments to make to make your girl happy and healthy. And feel free to ask any questions here. I'd be surprised if some others don't chime in with ideas for your enclosure.

Your chameleon needs exposure to proper UVB and proper supplements and appropriate sized, well fed food with some variety of insects. It also needs appropriate temperatures and water.

The cage "furniture" may be able to wait a bit.

However if the first things I mentioned here are provided and it doesn't solve the eye closing issues, etc. Then it might mean the chameleon is sick and needs a good chameleon vet.

Also...with chameleons...they crash quickly because they are good at hiding illnesses.

Appropriate lighting...long linear tube light....reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6 are most often recommended. Also exposure to direct sun (not through glass or plastic) will provide UVB.

Temperatures...for young veileds and panthers...80F is good for basking. Cage temperature in the low 70'sF generally.

Supplements have been described to you already.

Water...mister and drip are recommended. Some people fog at night.

Real plants...non toxic, well washed, both sides of the leaves are recommended.

Insects like crickets, roaches, superworms can be fed dandelion greens, kale, collards, squash, zucchini, carrots, sweet potatoes. Sweet red peppers, etc.

Hopefully getting the husbandry under control will solve the problem....but, as I said...if not, I'd get it to the vet.

If I were you I would upgrade the big cage and start using it ASAP. Here’s some suggestions to install more branches and plants

CE4F086C-662A-4502-B505-A1DD38AD65F5.jpeg

I usually build an "internal skeleton" made of straight branches, that works like dragon ledges. The more you connect, the more branches you can add later. This picture it’s just the skeleton, obviously you’d put more in between. Heat lamp and uvb can be raised up with anything (I‘ve used piled-up coins once). Put as many plants as you can, possibly with vines and a lot of foliage (schefflera -center one-, pothos -side ones-, money tree etc.)
These are upgrades that you MUST do if you want your cham to survive imho.

If I were you I would upgrade the big cage and start using it ASAP. Here’s some suggestions to install more branches and plants

View attachment 315345

I usually build an "internal skeleton" made of straight branches, that works like dragon ledges. The more you connect, the more branches you can add later. This picture it’s just the skeleton, obviously you’d put more in between. Heat lamp and uvb can be raised up with anything (I‘ve used piled-up coins once). Put as many plants as you can, possibly with vines and a lot of foliage (schefflera -center one-, pothos -side ones-, money tree etc.)
These are upgrades that you MUST do if you want your cham to survive imho.
ok.
one: that is an incredible diagram/idea picture thing, how on earth did you make that.
two:that's a good idea, I've got some things like that in place, and o worked on it a lot today.
here's my improvements
IMG_20211122_141341463.jpg

that's a corn plant, pothos hanging from the ceiling, and an asparagus fern in the middle. it is in no way near finished but I'm going to lowe's today to get more plants, if they have them this far in the year. i have the bar light on the top of the little cage, and my little girl is acting very lively today, I fed her and she ate willingly and enthusiastically.

Remember also that when you seal the wood on your cage to do it outside so your Cham isn’t exposed to the toxic smell until it’s cured. It may take several days to cure and the smell to go away. Also, corn plants aren’t the greatest plants for chams because they don’t have branches to climb, only very broad slick leaves. I had one in my cage and I switched it out for a ficus tree. You can also try getting an umbrella tree also known as a schefflera. Your cage is awesome! You did a great job on it.

Remember also that when you seal the wood on your cage to do it outside so your Cham isn’t exposed to the toxic smell until it’s cured. It may take several days to cure and the smell to go away. Also, corn plants aren’t the greatest plants for chams because they don’t have branches to climb, only very broad slick leaves. I had one in my cage and I switched it out for a ficus tree. You can also try getting an umbrella tree also known as a schefflera. Your cage is awesome! You did a great job on it.
i actually forgot while talking to you guys, I have plastic on the bottom of the cage right now, nailed to the bottom. this does mean that the water will spill onto the carpet but I'm planning on coming up with an alternative to buckets. i don't like the look of buckets.

You can also find different kinds of trays that may fit the bottom of your cage like washing machine trays or boot trays or pet litter trays etc. I have a washing machine tray under mine.

Update! Leah has fallen back asleep. i put the new light on and I'm still dusting her bugs, but today she didn't eat, at least not from me or while I was watching. However, I did dump in some crickets and leave the house. then tonight, about 20 minutes until her light turned off I caught her asleep. but, she hasn't been in her usual sleeping spot near the end of the day. here's also an update on the cage
IMG_20211123_175721296.jpg

I found some plants at home depot and found them on the safe plant list and washed them and put them in the cage, and they're looking fine! i was going to see how she likes the plants but I didn't want to bring her out if she was feeling sickly anyways. i didn't want to stress her out.

Her cage is looking good! Make sure to remove any uneaten crickets before lights out or they may feed on her! You could put a dish of veggies in the bottom of the cage as well and then they would eat the veggies and not her.

Back
Top Bottom