Chameleon Set-up

hondataeg6

Hello, Im new here and i want to start keeping Chameleons. I have read some stuff on keeping chameleons. But not everything i read is Really help, as another article will contradic the last one i read. I want to keep Panther Chameleons, with that said heres a couple of questions i have.

I read that for baby chameleons is best to start off with a small cage, Knowing that they grow fast, is it really necesary to start up with a small set-up and then in about a couple of months upgade to a bigger cage/set-up?

Why not just start off with a medium set-up?

I couldnt find anywhere how big of UVB light is needed for a specific Cage or how big of a basking light? Are these the only two light that are needed?

those are the questions i have so far, hopefully you can help me out...

Thanks in Advance

It is highly recommended to start a baby/juvenile off in a small cage. You'll only have to upgrade once, at about 9mo-1yr old. This prevents problems like finding food, UVB regulation, etc.

Basking light can be any 60-75w incandescent bulb. A 24" fixture with an 18" ReptiSun UVB light should be perfect, and you won't have to upgrade the fixture.

is this cage fine 20"H x 16"W x 16"D? also what other things would i need besides a plant, branches, Thermometer, Humidity Gauge? Would the
ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Fluorescent Bulb be ok?

That size is good for a juvenile/baby cham :) And that's the exact UVB bulb you need!

You'll also need a misting system and/or dripper.

oh ok, so im not to far off... Do you know if the material used on the cages are special, cuz to me it seems like a trip to home depo, or lowes and you can make youre own and save some $$$

If you're talking about making your own cage, that's perfectly possible and would definitely save you some money :p Just do a quick search on the forum for ideas for that.

Actually you can buy the biggest cage necessary for an adult and inclose an area until its time to let it have the rest. If you get what I mean. Its like taking screen or wood and cutting half the cage off with it. Understand?
OR
You could find materials from friends/family and build a small cage like I did. Just use screen and the main body structure.
Good luck :)
(btw if you were in my area I could give you my 2ft tall cage I used for my 3month cham..:()

It is highly recommended to start a baby/juvenile off in a small cage. You'll only have to upgrade once, at about 9mo-1yr old. This prevents problems like finding food, UVB regulation, etc.

I disagree on not finding food. They pretty much can picture their whole cage and if you cup feed..food is no issue. Also if the dripping system is at the top of the cage where the cham can see it..then there is no problem.. Who worries for them in the wild?

If you're talking about making your own cage, that's perfectly possible and would definitely save you some money :p Just do a quick search on the forum for ideas for that.

thanks

Actually you can buy the biggest cage necessary for an adult and inclose an area until its time to let it have the rest. If you get what I mean. Its like taking screen or wood and cutting half the cage off with it. Understand?
OR
You could find materials from friends/family and build a small cage like I did. Just use screen and the main body structure.
Good luck :)
(btw if you were in my area I could give you my 2ft tall cage I used for my 3month cham..:()

great idea, thanks for the offer but im not local, would pay for shipping if its not expensive and youre up for it :D

Nice, did you use the metal screen or plastic?

I disagree on not finding food. They pretty much can picture their whole cage and if you cup feed..food is no issue. Also if the dripping system is at the top of the cage where the cham can see it..then there is no problem.. Who worries for them in the wild?

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it a few more times. Captive bred animals are not wild animals. Why take the risk with a pet you've paid hundreds of dollars for?

This cost me $00000000. Thats the cage I used and now its sitting..not being used.

cage1.jpg
cage2.jpg

All I did was ask family. I got free wood and screen. Found the nails/screws/hinges at home.

I've said it before, and I'll probably say it a few more times. Captive bred animals are not wild animals. Why take the risk with a pet you've paid hundreds of dollars for?

Yes I know. They depend on the food just being there. They can play hike and find...Little exercise wont hurt.

great idea, thanks for the offer but im not local, would pay for shipping if its not expensive and youre up for it :D

Check the pictures out. Um if I had the money from you I would send it to you priceless. well..thats your money paid for shipping lol

so metal or plastic screen??

Metal would be more exspensive. Um its more of the screen on your windows that you can use.(well camper screen stuff) I could sell you that! lol. I have a whole sheet for a simple cage like I showed u in my pictures

i used aluminum screening. charcoal color :p, plastic hardware cloth for bottom, set oil pans up to catch the poop and water :p. and a bunch of wood and staples.

Back
Top Bottom