Chameleon set up, does it look ok?

mesh

Hello I am new to this, does my set up look OK? (I live in the UK).
I have a male Yemen but I'm not sure of his age, will let you know in the next few days. I have only had him for two weeks

I am currently feeding him crickets, wax worms, meal worms, locust and fruit fly's. When feeding him I just put a tub inside the tank with his food in. Gut load crickets with bug grub.

The calcium I use is repti calcium without D3 and Nutrobal with D3. I cover a few crickets with repti clacuim every feed, then once a week with nubtrobal.

I spray the tank 2 times a day for about 30 secs. I have a water bowl inside and a dripper during the day

My vivarium is wood, 3 ft by 18 inches by 18 inches. (This tank is just while he is small, I will get a 'Vivexotic Viva Arboreal Vivarium Medium' when he is bigger)

The heat bulb is Zoo Med nocturnal infrared 75w with the Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 UV.

The heating is set on dimmer at 84f. Vivarium temperature ranges from 72f to 100f. At night time i turn dimmer down to 74f.

Humidity ranges from 50% to 75%, which I get by spraying the tank and using a fogger.

I also have two live umbrella plants in the tank.

I also have two Eastern Collared Lizards and their vivarium is next to the Chameleons viv.

The only fans are on the back of the tank to help with airflow. The tank is about a meter off the floor.

Q.Could i turn the dimmer of at night? The temperature in the room goes down to 60F.

will post pictures tomorrow

What do you think?
Cheers

Sounds pretty cool

Not shur what the water bowl is for? If your veiled starts eating plant matter try experimenting with fruit and veggies and it helps ensure hydration and its, cool to watch them slice threw the greens I also have a veiled here some pics of my girl and her setup

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 123
water bowl

Water bowl is to catch the water from the big dripper.

What sort of fruit should i give him?

cheers

Hello

Anny thing he will eat I feed mine oranges bananas collards and mustard greens and she devowers pothos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 107
My be you should consider making a better drainage and removing the water bowl since it might get bacteria growing in them.

1. The calcium I use is repti calcium without D3 and Nutrobal with D3. I cover a few crickets with repti clacuim every feed, then once a week with nubtrobal.

2 x a months woth D3 and you should also dust with vitamin 2xmonths

2. The heat bulb is Zoo Med nocturnal infrared 75w with the Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 UV

10.0 is too high for viled. use 5.0 uv

3.The heating is set on dimmer at 84f. Vivarium temperature ranges from 72f to 100f. At night time i turn dimmer down to 74f.

100F is a bit high .. The best ambient temperature during the day for Veiled Chameleons is room temperature, between 72 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit. By placing the basking bulb approximately 6-8 inches away from a basking perch inside the enclosure, a basking spot of approximately 85-95 degrees. Younger one need a lower basking temp.

They do well with a night temperature drop so no additional heat source is needed at night as long as your temps stay above the mid 50s and the chameleons are able to bask in the morning. A healthy veild can handle as low as 50s.

Hope this help:)

Sorry I missed the question , I turn all the lights off in my room including hers and my Jackson when they get settled I throw a shirt , or some type of cloth just where they are sleeping so Ido not mess with air flow and I can turn the light on and off in my room I also have a amber light that gives off just enughf light so I can see also my room gets down in the 60s to so I use no heat or anny thing it's good for chameleons to have a drop in temp just make shur it's not too damp at night cuz in my option it might soak her to the bone not as much evaporateion in the cooler temps

Height

Thank u for the help will turn my dimmer down. Having the light 6 to 8 inches away from his perch is hard to do in this tank. The tank is only 18 inches high. He has a good reach on him. The light has a cage on it to protect him. Will remember that for his new tank. The nubtrobal has d3 with loads of vitamins. If that is not ok what vitamin power would u advise me to use? Cheers

Misting

I did mist for longer but, the problem was the water get under the bark and does not dry out. If you have any advice how I would overcome this problem. Would be much Appreciated cheers

Sorry, I was trying to say 6"-8" from the top off his cage. But it depand on your cage temp and the basking light Watt u use.

You dont need any red light or night light at night as well. No heat is need too if you place is above mid 60s.

I have never use nubtrobal. May be some other members have experiance using it can give you better advice.

Back
Top Bottom