Chameleon plants

If you would a led plant light i.e. an Arcadia Jungle Damn led bar or Sansi Grow Light bulb, you'll notice plants will grow, better, faster and stay more alive. Watering twice a week shouldn't be the problem.
Also the bright plant light will benefit your chameleon, it brings more light in the enclosure.

Has anyone seen this before? Don't know what it is an took it out of my chameleon soon as I seen it.

Attachments

• 20210618_204903.jpg
    20210618_204903.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 74
Looks like mealybugs to me. Plants can usually recover, but it takes time & diligent treatment.

How to Treat Mealybugs

mealybugs on pothos

A adjunct of reptile husbandry—particularly arboreal reptiles—is houseplant husbandry.
Along with learning to care for chameleons themselves—lighting, temperatures, humidities, watering, feeding, housing, etc. we have to should become proficient with caring for their environments (i.e. plants) needs—lighting, temperatures, humidities, watering, feeding, potting, etc.

A healthy environment/habitat is necessary for a healthy chameleon (or any animal).

While I do not advocate "plant euthanasia" I think that one my be too far gone-its immune system was destroyed by incorrect husbandry. An expert could probably save it after a few weeks, but...

If you dispose of it I would bag/bury it you don't want to have mealybugs spreading around.

Most likely better to spend 10 or 15 bucks on a new one and start over. A plant light is essential, water only when it gets dry (pothos does not mind bone dry/wilt/water but hates to stay waterlogged).

The good news if treated even close to right this is a bullet-proof plant that is great for chams.

The Arcadia Jungle Damn led bar would work but it's expensive. An that plant has a bad case of this white mold. Put it outside as it's a huge potho. Just sucks have to find another like this for under 20. Least I know why it was clearanced.

My enclosure is 16by16" 32" tall. Using a reptisun5 t5 h0 bulb an fixture. 75watt heat bulb on a dimmer switch. Have a spider an two types pothos in the enclosure. What plant lights are safe for chams. Was looking at the Arcadia Jungle Damn led bar. Just seems to costly. Just looking for a safe cheap plant light to use in the front of enclosure. Just not finding anything under 40 bucks. Any recommendations be perfect.

Attachments

• 20210615_204152.jpg
    20210615_204152.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 65
Another T5 HO fixture with a 6500K daylight bulb is cheaper and great! If you have a basic or Arcadia fixture, not a Zoo Med, you can link both the UVB and plant lights together to use on only one outlet, too! The basic fixtures usually come with the plant light already, as well! Reptile Basics or Pangea Reptile should have them

I use a plant light as my basking bulb in some cages. Philips makes a nice one, Philips 75br30 Plant 6-1 Bulb. The wattage might be low for your heat needs. It should be enough to keep a pothos alive. Your misting is probably providing enough water. I rarely if ever water.

What plant lights are safe for chams.
Any that are full spectrum and use only white LEDs. The problem with colored LEDs (e.g. red & blue), aside from being gimmicks, is that if some go out, it causes the color/temperature of the remaining light to shift, which is not usually good for chameleons.
Was looking at the Arcadia Jungle Damn led bar. Just seems to costly. Just looking for a safe cheap plant light to use in the front of enclosure. Just not finding anything under 40 bucks. Any recommendations be perfect.
Cost is relative. Initial investment vs. lifetime costs.
You can get a single T5 grow light for under $30, but it will cost more to operate than an LED, you'll have to replace the bulb several times, and those bulbs contain mercury, and should be disposed of properly according to your local regs. Also, one may not be enough.
An LED will cost a bit more, perform better per dollar, last 5X as long, and contains no mercury.

The best bang for the buck that I know of is a 70W Sansi. It has the power to reach the nether regions of a 48" enclosure, rated for 50K hrs., and warrantied 5 yrs. Coupons are available.
They have other choices, but the least expensive won't be powerful enough, and you'll need multiples to keep your plants healthy.

Last edited:
I've begun changing out my fluorescent plant bulbs with LED that the growing craze has made so abundant. I couldn't be happier with them. There are many sources out there so shop around for a deal. The reptile labeled items may not be the most cost effective and a similar item may be cheaper without a reptile picture on the label.

So confused now lol but like the dual idea. Problem is my cage is small an hard to add more lights. But happy my little guy started shedding again on time today. Post a photo of top not much to work with.

Attachments

• 20210620_221115.jpg
    20210620_221115.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 20210620_221655.jpg
    20210620_221655.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 66
Another T5 HO fixture with a 6500K daylight bulb is cheaper and great! If you have a basic or Arcadia fixture, not a Zoo Med, you can link both the UVB and plant lights together to use on only one outlet, too! The basic fixtures usually come with the plant light already, as well! Reptile Basics or Pangea Reptile should have them
You have a link for this dual fixture? Thinking of going this route. Just hopefully can use my 22" reptisun 5.0 bulb have like 5 on hand for replacements down the road.

Changed out heat bulb with a Philips 75br30 Plant 6-1 Bulb. Temps went up a bit 90-95 basking. An switched basking sites for plants. Would be aces if this plant bulb was dimmable. Enclosure looks brighter but just not liking basking Temps. Are plants ok if there about 7-8 inches from the bulb?

Attachments

• 20210622_220229.jpg
    20210622_220229.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom