Chameleon plants

Changed out heat bulb with a Philips 75br30 Plant 6-1 Bulb. Temps went up a bit 90-95 basking. An switched basking sites for plants. Would be aces if this plant bulb was dimmable. Enclosure looks brighter but just not liking basking Temps. Are plants ok if there about 7-8 inches from the bulb?
Basking temps are too high, if it gives enough light and I bet 75 watt will provide that, maybe lift the light a few inches above the enclosure.

Anyone know how long the Arcadia Jungle dawn 15 watt last? I know the reptisun 5 t5 h0 are six months an can jungle dawn replace the reptisun?
No, the Jungle Dawn is a plant light, not a UVB bulb/fixture. If you want to use an Arcadia UVB bulb, most use the T5 HO 6% (placed the appropriate distance away). They only need to be replaced yearly, or when the UVI levels are cut in half (if you have a Solarmeter 6.5 to check them). If you have a basic or Arcadia T5 HO linear fixture, you can link the UVB and Jungle Dawn together so you only have to use one outlet.

No, the Jungle Dawn is a plant light, not a UVB bulb/fixture. If you want to use an Arcadia UVB bulb, most use the T5 HO 6% (placed the appropriate distance away). They only need to be replaced yearly, or when the UVI levels are cut in half (if you have a Solarmeter 6.5 to check them). If you have a basic or Arcadia T5 HO linear fixture, you can link the UVB and Jungle Dawn together so you only have to use one outlet.
Crap.....only read half of it 😒
Missed the replacing for part

Reptisun T5 HOs are good for 1 year.
Thanks an replacing the Phillips plant light with a jungle dawn. Should be here next week. Temps are ranging 90-100. An bulb is burning leaves. Noticed something was up. With Cham hanging 50-60% down from the lights.

Attachments

• 20210623_205153.jpg
    20210623_205153.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 53
Would this be proper way gut load crickets for a Cham? I use collard greens flukers orange cricket squares an there chow. There's two different size crickets for two different size chams. Don't feed bigger ones to little panther. Just pain sort em out. But easier to care for one cricket keeper daily.

Attachments

• 20210625_214413.jpg
    20210625_214413.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 60
I separate and feed my bugs with my highest quality gutload overnight (anywhere from 24 hours to a few hours before feeding off will work). At all other times, I feed a lesser quality gutload to the colonies so they're hungry for the good one. You can also use the highest quality gutload 24/7, too, but the first option ensures the bugs are stuffed with the god gutload. Here's a great chart for ingredients and ration sizes of each type of ingredient! The more variety you have, the better! Neither the Fluker's Cricket Cubes or Cricket Chow are good gutloads

Edit: Sorry, I read that wrong. You're doing it correct, just add some better ingredients

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    chameleon-gutload 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 48
I separate and feed my bugs with my highest quality gutload overnight (anywhere from 24 hours to a few hours before feeding off will work). At all other times, I feed a lesser quality gutload to the colonies so they're hungry for the good one. You can also use the highest quality gutload 24/7, too, but the first option ensures the bugs are stuffed with the god gutload. Here's a great chart for ingredients and ration sizes of each type of ingredient! The more variety you have, the better! Neither the Fluker's Cricket Cubes or Cricket Chow are good gutloads

Edit: Sorry, I read that wrong. You're doing it correct, just add some better ingredients
Thanks for this advice just purchased the reprashy burger liquid food. Have alot of questions lately. Just trying do everything right for my panther Cham. I had one few years ago an died before I had him a year.

Apart from being too short and not powerful enough? That bulb is only 12" long and puts out 2.4% UVB.

IMO, it's confusing, because they have other bulbs labeled "ShadeDweller" that put out 7% UVB.
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/shadedweller-prot5/

I think most folks here would recommend either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%, either preferably running full width of your enclosure. In a few cases, some may go up to Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 10% or 12%, with greater distance between bulb and basking site.

As long as we're talking about T5 bulbs, either mfr's bulbs are good for 1 year.

Those lights don't come in lengths big enough, sadly. If you want to go with Arcadia, get the 6% bulb the same length (or longer) that your cage is

Apart from being too short and not powerful enough? That bulb is only 12" long and puts out 2.4% UVB.

IMO, it's confusing, because they have other bulbs labeled "ShadeDweller" that put out 7% UVB.
https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/shadedweller-prot5/

I think most folks here would recommend either Reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6%, either preferably running full width of your enclosure. In a few cases, some may go up to Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 10% or 12%, with greater distance between bulb and basking site.

As long as we're talking about T5 bulbs, either mfr's bulbs are good for 1 year.
Thank you,
My reptisun 5 is about to expire. Got a Arcadia 6 t5 coming this week. Plus the jungle dawn with it. Thought I give this one a try never used them before.
Anyone know any good reptile temp controllers. Looking to buy one cheap of course but durable. Was hoping use one for my veiled an panther. With a basking temp of 85. Was thinking they need same Temps as am using the same 75 watt exo Terra bulbs on both just different fixtures.

Thank you,
My reptisun 5 is about to expire. Got a Arcadia 6 t5 coming this week. Plus the jungle dawn with it. Thought I give this one a try never used them before.
Anyone know any good reptile temp controllers. Looking to buy one cheap of course but durable. Was hoping use one for my veiled an panther. With a basking temp of 85. Was thinking they need same Temps as am using the same 75 watt exo Terra bulbs on both just different fixtures.
To what purpose? There are 2 (well, 3) factors to basking site temps. I can see how a thermostatic controller will help with air temperature, but the effect on surfaces will be delayed, and it will have no effect on radiant heat from the basking bulb.

I went through this first with my bearded dragon enclosure. Distance & angle of the basking light to produce the desired gradient on basking surfaces and above (the lizard's back) are primary. Once those are balanced, the only concern is air temperature at/above the basking site. For this, I used a simple thermostatic control on a muffin fan. When the air temp in the beardie box hits 90F, the fan draws hot air out near the top until the temp drops to 88F.

This hasn't been necessary with my chameleon enclosure; natural chimney effect draws too-hot air out the top.

If your basking light is balanced for distance, wattage, and angle, and you're generating a chimney effect, thermostatic control shouldn't be necessary unless your household ambient temperature goes through wide swings. 🤷‍♂️

If you still want a programmable thermostatic control & ultra-quiet muffin fan as I described above, I got mine from The Cooler Guys. It's been working perfectly for almost 2 years.

FWIW, I don't like the Exo Terra bulbs because they're spots, and produce hot spots that can burn. IME&O, flood lights are better as they already produce a gradient that can be enhanced with angling. I use household incandescent flood lights. If those are out of stock, Halogen floods will work, but they run hotter, so need to be backed off a bit.

Thank you,
What genders are your chams? And what type of Exo Terra bulb do you use?

I have orchid hoyas...they are indestructible....and hold the weight of full grown female....they grow in open potting mix......they do not die....even with cham poop all over it.....I have some obvata starters.....

Do you still have the boxes, or are you able to take out the bulbs to get what type they are? As for the plastic part covering the top of the cage, do you have the sides wrapped as well as and/or all/more live plants, and how long do you mist for? I'm just uncomfortable with how much screen it is covering, sorry

Back
Top Bottom