Chameleon Obesity and diets

Mine is not the typical recommended schedule. My adults get 2-3 feeders of small to moderate size a day. Mine have a slower metabolism and require less supplements and this makes it easier for me to dust fewer feeders every other day and not over supplement them. I also think it is a more natural occurrence than them gorging themselves every other day. They all linger around the feeder after so I know they could eat more but I restrain myself from over feeding them.

I usually judged Panthers by the casque figure veiled are the same, but without keeping one myself I can't tell. I'm terrible at looking at pictures.

I fed my adult Panthers every 3 days. It's probably not much of a difference when feeding veiled.

Mine is not the typical recommended schedule. My adults get 2-3 feeders of small to moderate size a day. Mine have a slower metabolism and require less supplements and this makes it easier for me to dust fewer feeders every other day and not over supplement them. I also think it is a more natural occurrence than them gorging themselves every other day. They all linger around the feeder after so I know they could eat more but I restrain myself from over feeding them.

Wish my Panthers were that eager too eat. I had to fight them to get every other day. Loved their supers though.

This is mostly my females. They are waiting in the feeder for me every morning but my males are usually ready for a feeder or 2 daily. If I let them eat their fill they would slack off for days between as well.
I also feed smaller feeders than they could handle because large feeders are associated with temporal gland infections that mine are prone to.

Last edited:
I would lay off the worms. He is beginning to look overweight for sure. Once that casque gets fat it’s really hard for them to lose it. I weigh my guys every week and on a week that they’ve had worms, all of them weigh more. Try feeding moths, flies, dubia or discoids, stick bugs and mantis along with your crickets. Also, I only feed 3 times a week.

Okay gotcha! never knew that! I wish I could feed Carlo roaches, though I believe in Canada they are considered illegal. (not 100% sure but that's what i have heard)
Dubias are indeed illegal in Canada. But just try and stop the herp community from giving their babies the best. It’s pretty easy to find dubias...so I’ve heard...() if you look around, talk to folks, etc.

Just chiming in to say that is a one beautiful vailed. I see nothing but an exemplary specimen.

Yes, your Cham is definitely obease. His casque, cheeks, jaw, legs, and butt are far too curvey.

As captive keepers we tend to try to compensate for the lack of variety in our chams diet by overfeeding them in terms of volume. You never see obease chams in the wild because they are eating relatively few highly nutritious and diverse feeders compared to what most keepers can give in captivity. Quality beats volume, hands down, every time.

Superworms are fine as a treat and pose no health risk to your Cham. Think of them as candy. Variety is key.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with FB Chameleon groups as long as you have a bit of common sense about you and can think for yourself. I’m a member of several. Most people just repeat whatever they’ve heard said previously without having a firm grasp of what they are really saying. If you have a questioning attitude, and you obviously do or you wouldn’t be here, you’ll be just fine.

I recommend cutting your male back to 3-4 large feeders every 3-4 days. Again, focus on quality. Be sure each is gutloded with a healthy dusting of calcium and vitamins, I’m sure you know the schedule.

What kind of gutload, calcium, and vitamins are you currently using?
DE4091A8-AFF0-46EE-9612-7C0391544286.jpeg
522F8320-8AFE-484F-8574-4E7CCDE71AF5.jpeg
82F8814A-23AE-4709-AB2C-DB1343081481.jpeg
976F342E-0E3C-4038-ACD2-14D8D9CD29FE.png

Yes, your Cham is definitely obease. His casque, cheeks, jaw, legs, and butt are far too curvey.

As captive keepers we tend to try to compensate for the lack of variety in our chams diet by overfeeding them in terms of volume. You never see obease chams in the wild because they are eating relatively few highly nutritious and diverse feeders compared to what most keepers can give in captivity. Quality beats volume, hands down, every time.

Superworms are fine as a treat and pose no health risk to your Cham. Think of them as candy. Variety is key.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with FB Chameleon groups as long as you have a bit of common sense about you and can think for yourself. I’m a member of several. Most people just repeat whatever they’ve heard said previously without having a firm grasp of what they are really saying. If you have a questioning attitude, and you obviously do or you wouldn’t be here, you’ll be just fine.

I recommend cutting your male back to 3-4 large feeders every 3-4 days. Again, focus on quality. Be sure each is gutloded with a healthy dusting of calcium and vitamins, I’m sure you know the schedule.

What kind of gutload, calcium, and vitamins are you currently using?View attachment 228346View attachment 228347View attachment 228348View attachment 228349

Obese*

(Sorry had to Mr spell check)

What kind of gutload, calcium, and vitamins are you currently using?View attachment 228346View attachment 228347View attachment 228348View attachment 228349
Wow thanks for all of your information that you gave me :) I think ill start feeding only three times a week. like a another member also suggested. I have calcium powder, calcium d3, and a vitamin powder. D3 and the vitamin i do like 1-2 times a month ect.

Dubias are indeed illegal in Canada. But just try and stop the herp community from giving their babies the best. It’s pretty easy to find dubias...so I’ve heard...() if you look around, talk to folks, etc.
Humm intersting! Might try and see if i can find some! :)

I would lay off the worms. He is beginning to look overweight for sure. Once that casque gets fat it’s really hard for them to lose it. I weigh my guys every week and on a week that they’ve had worms, all of them weigh more. Try feeding moths, flies, dubia or discoids, stick bugs and mantis along with your crickets. Also, I only feed 3 times a week.
OKay sweet thanks for the info ! :)

Btw OP, thanks for happily taking people's advice. So many times we all get yelled at for critiquing anything (y)
I honestly want the best for my chameleon, and want him to live out a long reptile life. I honestly rather people tell me if theres something that i do not see my self. I am always learning about chameleon, and I have kept Carlo for over two years and am still learning.

I think the way people approach problems and the way that people say or bring up a problem about someone else care or chameleon needs to be changed. Ever too often people will rudely comment a critique and not give any useful information or try and help right off the bat. People would probably react better to people who critique in a friendly/helpful manner. That is why i came to chameleon forums to ask my question. I want knowledgeable people to help me learn more about chameleons.

So with that being said, Thank you, and everyone who has given me advice and has given me good constructive critique. :)

When I got my chameleon she was very fat and lethargic. The petstore gave her mostly just superworms (Apparently crickets kept escaping from the reptile cages). I solved this by making her hunt for her food instead of cup feeding. It might take awhile but as with humans, lower calorie intake and exercise is the most effective way to lose weight. P.S I'm a fan of your youtube channel :)!

Back
Top Bottom