Chameleon not like crickets

Yo yo what's up so guys my Panther chameleon doesn't really eat crickets everytime I come back home I see there is still some crickets left but he still eats. He loves worms so maybe that is causing the problems? He started doing this when I started giving him horn worms

Maybe youre just leaving too many in there. Use the search feature, not necessary to start a thread about every question you have.

Worms, especially superworms, have readily been known to cause chams to 'hunger strike' for them. After, 2-4 days of NO worms, they slowly begin to accept crickets again.

I know a lot of people here say that mealworms aren't the best for cham. but that all mine will eat, and he is doing seemly well. What should I do, I don't want to hurt him, but he's been eating them for about a month now,so...

I know a lot of people here say that mealworms aren't the best for cham. but that all mine will eat, and he is doing seemly well. What should I do, I don't want to hurt him, but he's been eating them for about a month now,so...

Variety is best for health, and mealworms have the risk of causing blockage in the intestinal tract, due to their hard skin.

If you don't want to harm him, get some variety, and replace meal worms with super worms (Zophobos morio), they are softer skinned.

Some other care that is important to keep him from harm is:

1. What is your supplement and vitamin schedule?

2. What types of basking light bulb and UVB bulb do you use, it will help us determine if you are creating MDB and other health risks.

3. How often do you offer water, and how?

These are amazing creatures, but without proper husbandry, they perish quickly.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Variety is best for health, and mealworms have the risk of causing blockage in the intestinal tract, due to their hard skin.

If you don't want to harm him, get some variety, and replace meal worms with super worms (Zophobos morio), they are softer skinned.

Some other care that is important to keep him from harm is:

1. What is your supplement and vitamin schedule?

2. What types of basking light bulb and UVB bulb do you use, it will help us determine if you are creating MDB and other health risks.

3. How often do you offer water, and how?

These are amazing creatures, but without proper husbandry, they perish quickly.

CHEERS!

Nick:D
Reptile UVB 100 13 watt, 100w daytime and 75w night heat lamp. I mist all the plants hard twice a day no supplements or vitamins at this time.

What size are crickets are you feeding your Cham? Mine prefers small crickets, when I buy the medium crickets, he won't mess with the bigger ones. I'll put 5 or 6 in the morning and the large ones will stay in there for a couple days.

Reptile UVB 100 13 watt, 100w daytime and 75w night heat lamp. I mist all the plants hard twice a day no supplements or vitamins at this time.

You're going to need to start him on supplements as soon as possible before his health takes a steep dive. You should be dusting calcium without d3 at every feeding and calcium with d3/vitamins twice a month. That's three different supplements you should have for your chameleon to stay healthy and grow properly. I also gutload with bug buffet and/or cricket crack on top of all the supplements. I would mist more than twice a day to ensure proper hydration. 3-4 sessions for approximately 1-2 minutes will do the trick in my opinion, unless you have a chameleon that doesn't drink right away. Lastly, depending on how cold your house gets, a night lamp is not necessary. Veiled's are pretty tough and can withstand temps in the 50's as long as they are able to warm up in the morning.

I have just started supplements and I was trying small crickets at first. Just came back from a reptile expo, and after talking to a few people I tried med. ones and now he is eating them, so all is well. Thanks so much for all the advice here and I will be following it. You peeps here are awesome,thx.

If he likes worms you could introduce silk worms. They are soft bodied and full of calcium.

Back
Top Bottom