Chameleon Hiss

Daniel266jz

Avid Member
So my chameleon is pretty friendly and will come into my hand for some worms no problem but lately he just chills on my hand and he's a bright green with yellow and just sort of sits there and makes a small hiss and looks around and opens his mout to me it's like he's asking for more food but I don't know? He puffs only his little flap and makes a very small non mean hiss and no defensive position or anything? Anyone has any ideas?

That's his way of showing you that he is starting to become accustomed to you holding him, bus is still uneasy. The hiss means "don't try anything stupid, human", but the bright relaxed colors mean that he is relaxed and somewhat comfortable with you. Veiled boys are always grumpy. Just keep offering juicy worms and soon he will be asking to come out!

I got my panther chameleon at the end of October and he came out of his cage for the first time in April--it took him 6 months, and this with daily hand feedings and me having my hands in his cage. He still is relatively nervous and opens his mouth at me at some point probably every time I take him out. As long as you respect that he is telling you to relax and not do anything stupid, I doubt you will get bitten. Mine has never attempted to bite, he will puff up one minute and a few seconds later its like nothing happened.

Regarding the hiss, is it an actual hiss, or more of a sneeze from his nose? Mine sneezes all the time.

I have no idea what it was but I have a 4 month female veiled... and her mouth was open so I’m guessing it was a warning, idk what for tho

I have no idea what it was but I have a 4 month female veiled... and her mouth was open so I’m guessing it was a warning, idk what for tho
It's their survival mechanism. They are not the fastest creatures and have little to work with from a defensive/fighting perspective so they try to scare things away.

Back
Top Bottom