Chameleon future owner

I'd buy local if you can - very expensive to ship due to the weight! Where abouts are you located? An easy mix to start with is Sunshine Mix #4 (states or Canada) or ProMix HP (Canada). They're both highly porous planting mixes that require little (if any) amendment and can be used practically as is.
I'm in Eastern WV. The four State area. Relatively close to MD, VA, and PA. I'll look for those. Thank you!

I have some garden centers. I'll look there. If not is there an online option? Some of the videos I've seen on here are of people mixing their own. Which is the preferred method?

Sunshine mix#4 if ordering online. I mix my own but there is occasionally a difference in the "base" I use. I have a composter within 40 or so min that composts tree and plant materials. I can fill the bed of my truck for $20 so when I can get out there, I use that as my base. When I can't, I use miracle gro "performance organic in ground" as my base. I've really come to like its consistency compared to others I've tried.

Been a while since I've had to mix any but off the top of my head I mix :

20- 32oz cups of dirt

30- 32oz cups of peat

1/2 bag of rinsed playsand

1 bag of "premium" spagnum ( the "white" spagnum at home depot) the cheaper brown spagnum works too but it is fairly "prickly" when "raw" like that.

1/2 bag of orchid bark with charcoal and perlite

But, this is one of those things where we all have our different "ways" of doing it lol.

I mix it with a concrete paddle mixer with a low speed high torque drill.

Deal - plant/bug swap! :ROFLMAO:

And thank you! It's the best I could come up with on the fly. I think I'll get some nice pleather to make a real border, gussy it up a little!

I havent seen any other terrarium brands here other than ExoTerra, I don't think... at least not any of the larger ones! I'll have to actually open my eyes when I next go to the reptile store!

Oh yeah, the lovely wc osniscus you have :love:. When I get done with blade's "temp" home I'll pm you the atasuki. I like the zilla's because they come with stuff exo doesn't, like humidity insert panels designed for the cage not as an after thought diy lol. If and when I ever go back down to 1 cham, it'll be in a 48x18x48 atasuki though. Nice clean look on a larger cage,"love it" lol.

Welcome! Lots of great advice already in this thread. :)

I'm currently working on a bioactive conversion for a ReptiBreeze, and can attest to the ReptiBreeze rusting when left in consistent contact with water. However, if you don't mind some extra prep you can add a couple coats of a rust inhibiting paint, or a rubberized coating to extend its lifespan! I just finished touching up my rusting ReptiBreeze with Rustoleum spray paint.

The great thing about having a planter box that the cage rests on is the fact that you can technically cycle the bioactive portion separately from the enclosure! So, theoretically you can have your boy in the ReptiBreeze with a free draining bottom, while cycling the bioactive bin elsewhere. Then you wouldn't have to wait to bring your boy home! General cycling time seems to vary depending on who you ask, but I'd aim for 2 week to a month. My existing build is a month old, and has only just finished stabilizing!

My much handier grandpa whipped me up a simple box planter for use with my ReptiBreeze build, and I have since coated inside with LiquidRubber (equivalent to Flexseal) and plan on adding a vinyl liner as well to ensure that I won't have any water seepage.

View attachment 248021

View attachment 248022

View attachment 248023

A plastic tote would also work, though less aesthetically pleasing! Maybe if you took a plastic tote and disguised the outside... :unsure:
Why am I wondering if I can fit in the box:unsure: anyway I love it you gramp did an amazing job(y)

Oh yeah, the lovely wc osniscus you have :love:. When I get done with blade's "temp" home I'll pm you the atasuki. I like the zilla's because they come with stuff exo doesn't, like humidity insert panels designed for the cage not as an after thought diy lol. If and when I ever go back down to 1 cham, it'll be in a 48x18x48 atasuki though. Nice clean look on a larger cage,"love it" lol.

Yaaas! Most of my o. Asellus culture went into the build, but I'm sure I could fish some F1 out for you! I have lots of babies, now. Might get some c. Convexus as well, since I dumped some of those in the viv too haha! I'll have to go and harvest some more WC in the spring!

That atasuki is VERY clean looking! I might have to consider it for my next biggun! Assuming my next isnt a cabinet conversion, anyway haha

Yaaas! Most of my o. Asellus culture went into the build, but I'm sure I could fish some F1 out for you! I have lots of babies, now. Might get some c. Convexus as well, since I dumped some of those in the viv too haha! I'll have to go and harvest some more WC in the spring!

That atasuki is VERY clean looking! I might have to consider it for my next biggun! Assuming my next isnt a cabinet conversion, anyway haha

Sadly, sellers here are having to get aphis permits (roughly a 6 week process) and from reading, seems I need them too to own the ones from out of state that were shipped in lol. One the other hand, the p526 permit would allow me to import some wc from you as long as the species is listed on said permit :ROFLMAO: . Too many people buying and selling isopods over the last few years so now they've decided to regulate that too :cautious:.

So to @Blustrgzr , see if you can find someone/ reptile store local to you that has giant canyons/ springtails in stock, or can get them lol. Buy 2 or 3 tubs (usually 10 to 15 a tub) and start a master culture. This will give you your "seed" stock for the enclosure/s (plural added cause it rarely stops with 1 cham lol) plus back up stock incase your ever have the need for them.

Last edited:
Sadly, sellers here are having to get aphis permits (roughly a 6 week process) and from reading, seems I need them too to own the ones from out of state that were shipped in lol. One the other hand, the p526 permit would allow me to import some wc from you as long as the species is listed on said permit :ROFLMAO: . Too many people buying and selling isopods over the last few years so now they've decided to regulate that too :cautious:.

So too @Blustrgzr , see if you can find someone/ reptile store local to you that has giant canyons/ springtails in stock, or can get them lol. Buy 2 or 3 tubs (usually 10 to 15 a tub) and start a master culture. This will give you your "seed" stock for the enclosure/s (plural added cause it rarely stops with 1 cham lol) plus back up stock incase your ever have the need for them.
Thank you, I will do that!!

Thank you, I will do that!!

Do you have a Target near you? The only thing I buy there, and sadly they are the only ones local to me selling them, is the sterilite gasket boxes. I like the 54 qt gasket boxes with 3 to 4 three inch vent holes. I use the dirt mix above in their tubs with leaf litter.

Do you have a Target near you? The only thing I buy there, and sadly they are the only ones local to me selling them, is the sterilite gasket boxes. I like the 54 qt gasket boxes with 3 to 4 three inch vent holes. I use the dirt mix above in their tubs with leaf litter.
I do have a few Target's near me. Are they food grade? Is that why you use them?

I do have a few Target's near me. Are they food grade? Is that why you use them?

I use them because isos will escape if they can haha. The gasket boxes have "seal" around the rim which keeps them in their home lol.

Screenshot_2019-10-08-12-03-13.png

Depends on who you ask. I personally don't use that fixture and if you want to you can get it cheaper through other vendors and buy the bulb seperate. Have you decided on a cage size?
Yes, I purchased the 24"W x 24"D x 48"H from DIY cages. I've read so much on this site about lights, I am sure I'm overthinking it.

Yes, I purchased the 24"W x 24"D x 48"H from DIY cages. I've read so much on this site about lights, I am sure I'm overthinking it.

K, give me a few min to finish something up at work and I'll try to find some links for you.

Back
Top Bottom