Chameleon Fights

Vinyonga

If two male Jackson's were fighting, could they seriously hurt each other? Or would one run off before any damage was done? Just curious :p

Yes, they can injure each other. Most chameleons do a lot of posturing, and then one will submit or run away, but they do actually engage each other on occasion. The horns on a Jacksons can do serious harm and I've heard of one instance from an experienced keeper where one Jacksons killed another (although I don't remember the nature of the fatal injury). *The situation that led to this was accidental I believe. The two were not put together intentionally.

Ok, thanks!

What about biting; could a bite to the leg do anything serious? I've been bitten and horn stabbed and the horns definitely hurt more, but I'm not sure what a chameleon would think :p

This seems a little specific to be just out of curiosity. If the bone isn't hurt, the damage may not be so bad, but if it is, I would head to the vet.

In addition to the above advice from Zlew, a bite wound could be serious depending on the severity. If it breaks the skin it could easily become susceptible to infection. Also chams are very slow to heal. If something like this has happened you should take the injured cham to the vet.

No, I admit that the second post wasn't just innocent curiosity. But the first one was. *sigh* I must have jinxed things by asking, lol.

I had two males on a bush yesterday, trying to photograph each one alternatively. I didn't know they could be THAT territorial; one of the males (Apollo) rushed towards the other (Thor) and started fighting with him. Apollo bit Thor in the leg and seemed to want to hang on, but I managed to prise Apollo off. The bite didn't break the skin and the leg isn't bent or anything, and Thor's walking around normally.

Thing is, I don't think there are any reptile vets - especially not ones which would take a chameleon - around here, and I doubt I could afford it either.

The vets are actually not that expensive. If i go for i check up i spend $50 dollars. That's not bad at all! Medicine is expensive so if you keep them healthy it wont hurt you wallet to go to the vet.
Google reptile vets in your city, or call a pet store, or just call all the vets. I called 6 vets and 1 pet store (they had the answer) before i found one!
Its always good to be prepared.

Ive even taken my vet to the emergency vet and all they did was give him a little water and love until we could go to the actual vet in the morning!
People are always willing to help!

No, I admit that the second post wasn't just innocent curiosity. But the first one was. *sigh* I must have jinxed things by asking, lol.

I had two males on a bush yesterday, trying to photograph each one alternatively. I didn't know they could be THAT territorial; one of the males (Apollo) rushed towards the other (Thor) and started fighting with him. Apollo bit Thor in the leg and seemed to want to hang on, but I managed to prise Apollo off. The bite didn't break the skin and the leg isn't bent or anything, and Thor's walking around normally.

Thing is, I don't think there are any reptile vets - especially not ones which would take a chameleon - around here, and I doubt I could afford it either.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest a vet visit isn't necessary.

I've been caring for 8 newly imported wild caughts that were absolutely battered when I got them. Multiple bite wounds on all and rubs down to the bone on most. Only one has had a problem. These were severely stressed and compromised animals, not healthy pets.

Keep an eye on him. If there is no break to the skin you can see, there is probably only small puncture wounds from the very sharp teeth. If you are worried, you can put on the original formula Polysporin or Neosporin. Just make sure it is NOT the formulation that offers pain relief.

When one of my wild caughts--the only one to have a problem with his wounds--was x-rayed by the vet, they knocked off the scabs covering the exposed bones on his back. He ended up with infections in every spot. The vet suggested the above treatment. This was a severely compromised individual, nothing like your chameleon.

I believe the bite marks might show up after a shed, as a thin black smiley face that will eventually go away.

Im guessing these are not his chameleons. just a guess... but i'd suggest that if he is trying to sell chameleons, and also fighting them, it wouldn't go over very well with the members of this forum... I would suggest that it would not only not go over well, but lynch mob type scenario's, house burnings, and other excellent methods of education would ensue.

I got to get serious and say this, this is not cool or interesting or appreciated in any matter at all.
second if you buy an animal you must count on the vet expenses or not buy the animal at all.
third, you are owning chameleons, which by rule are territorial, what did you really expect by putting 2 males together? please, as I have say to many other before chameleons are not toy, do not play with them.

This has been very helpful, thank you! I think Thor's fine, but I'll keep an eye on him. There's a slight triangular mark (well, triangular but without the base) on his leg now, but he's not moping around, his colours are fine and he's using the leg properly.

This has been very helpful, thank you! I think Thor's fine, but I'll keep an eye on him. There's a slight triangular mark (well, triangular but without the base) on his leg now, but he's not moping around, his colours are fine and he's using the leg properly.

That's the smiley face I was talking about. It might appear worse with sheds, but eventually should go away. It might look like a black line. Infection in reptiles (and birds) is different than a mammalian infection. The pus is thick and waxy. Keep an eye on it.

Zen chameleons, that video was not cool and not interesting and not enjoyable to watch. Why would someone go out of there way to fight 2 chameleons against each other. Just my opinion.

I got to get serious and say this, this is not cool or interesting or appreciated in any matter at all.
second if you buy an animal you must count on the vet expenses or not buy the animal at all.
third, you are owning chameleons, which by rule are territorial, what did you really expect by putting 2 males together? please, as I have say to many other before chameleons are not toy, do not play with them.

Oh, and to answer your post (which for some reason I didn't see before I posted mine?), I don't buy my chameleons, I find them in my garden and I catch their food by hand.
And, like I said, I didn't know they could be THAT territorial. I had them on a large bush with huge leaves, and Apollo right at the top and Thor right at the bottom. I only realised Apollo had come down until he appeared in the view finder of my camera.

First, Zen posted that video not Vinyonga. Second, that video is years old. Third, if you're keeping wild caught chameleons then they will most likely be more aggressive in behavior and placing two w.c males together would spark a fight.Territory to a chameleon doesn't necessarily mean just one tree, even if they're not on the same tree and in view of each other disputes like this can occur.

First, Zen posted that video not Vinyonga. Second, that video is years old. Third, if you're keeping wild caught chameleons then they will most likely be more aggressive in behavior and placing two w.c males together would spark a fight.Territory to a chameleon doesn't necessarily mean just one tree, even if they're not on the same tree and in view of each other disputes like this can occur.
You're right, removed my original rant. Just pressed a button...

Third, if you're keeping wild caught chameleons then they will most likely be more aggressive in behavior and placing two w.c males together would spark a fight.

Oh, I don't know about them being more agressive. Certainly not more agressive with people (at least from what I've read on here, lol) - but maybe panthers and veileds are more agressive than Jackson's and von Hohnel's. I think Apollo's just fierce, drat him ♥
I found a new chameleon today (called him Lancelot...) and he and Thor get on fine together. Or maybe Thor's just a wimp. Idk.

Anyway, thanks for the info :) I'll keep a closer eye on the males in future (especially Apollo).

Back
Top Bottom