chameleon dehydration

Calypratus

Established Member
So recently my chameleon died while trying to lay her eggs and I now suspect dehydration for the reason she died. She was always very finicky with her water she would never drink from the drip system I setup nor the water droplets on her plants from the handheld and automatic mister. She only ever drank from the small bowl I kept on those ledges for crested gecko food cups. Could anyone tell why she was like this? I want to avoid this situation in the future.

So recently my chameleon died while trying to lay her eggs and I now suspect dehydration for the reason she died. She was always very finicky with her water she would never drink from the drip system I setup nor the water droplets on her plants from the handheld and automatic mister. She only ever drank from the small bowl I kept on those ledges for crested gecko food cups. Could anyone tell why she was like this? I want to avoid this situation in the future.
Not sure anyone can answer that for you with any real certainty. If she died laying eggs I’d say it was more likely she died of a combination of factors, dehydration being one of them.

it was probably a combination of issues but if ypu had hydration issues hornworms are a fix to that, high in water content.

Reactions: iMi
Have you had a full husbandry review?

It seems to me that keeping your feeders hydrated helps.

How do you know she did not drink? Many will not drink in front of us. Just some food for thought.

Yes I kept her feeders hydrated, and gave her hornworms once or twice a week. I know she wasn't drinking because her urate was yellowish orange, and she had slightly sunken eyes.

Back
Top Bottom