Chameleon called Ribs (mbd, other health issues )

All I have done hear is buy a chameleon of the an English forum witch had health problems and these are the notes I mate over a few months that I save on my Iphone notes pad so they are copied and pasted and I thought I would share with you people
Please chip in any info u like

Ribs Nosy be male
Breeder gadbsy

Was told upon rescue he was housed with 7 month old female since purchase from the breeder
She was much older and in normal condition as far as I could tell

New to cham isolation room 22nd sept
might have health issues
I got him with set up a screen rept Brez with light a uv light plants the lot plants were very dry IMO
So I used this cage for 24 hours to observe him before removing Him to a new cleaned cage
Upon watching him
Rib cage Sticks out loads might be cause he is week, over inflation or very under weight
Looks very small for the colour he has
Had a very hard stuck sperm plug
Might have an ri and has normal poops white utrate
Eating and drinking well tho not seen his tongue shoot out that far and misses his food a lot
No clicking or breathing noises
No mucous or strands in mouth
Will not bask laterally never seen his rib cage flatten yet
Looks to have a slight gulular endema
And could have mbd looks very Likly to be this
he has a lower stance to a healthy Cham
Upon handling very snappy when trying to palpate his rib cage it felt very robust upon the shape he was looking almost like all his stomach was gone
Back limbs were very straight
Front not so straight
Missing claws on all toes
Eyes had previous shed on them.
Eyes look to be slightly swollen upon pressing them in slightly, also his eyes are more pronounced than normal again poss mbd
Sleeping with lower jaw open

23rd sept put on to Arcadia t5ho
Also cut out all supplements apart from pure calcium incase he been only supped with d3
Feeding on 3rds locusts as that's all he will take looks like his lower jaw is slightly Out ove line (mbd)
Also upped his basking temp to 93 so he will hopefull learn to bask with the higher heat and may help with the ri if hes got one

10 oct 2012
Seen him bask propper now although not that much. popped s few more times
His last lights were 10 am to 10-12 pm
So will take a while to adjust. Drinking as normal. Still very larthargic and rests his head a lot keeping one eye closed alot

14 oct
Ribs sticking out less
A bit more mobile holding his head more
Eating more is hunger reaction is starting to kick in

Started to shed 15 th oct

Put on 160 watt mercury bulb for 7 days with a basking temp ov 94 to see If he gets any more mobile added really to give a high dose ov UVA and UVB and was given calcium with d3 for 3 days in a row

still shedding 16 th oct
Shedding complete just before lights out

22nd oct back on the t5 light seen him very active today on the morning
Back on pure calcium

23 rd oct seen basking laterally 3 times In one day pooping more regular

Nov 1st multi vits for 2 days
Offered crickets with dino fuel as a gut load along with my Normal gut load regime noticed his right foot is trailing bit when he walking in a hurry, poss fracture off the mbd

2nd nov am started calci worms he taking plenty so I put a bowl in with lots in before lights out bigger poop than normal because he eat the whole ov calci worm

4 nov still giving calci worms
A lot more active now

5th to the 19 nov
Been offering all feeders I can get but use more calci worms a silks as easyer to digest and for more calcium intake

21st nov
Test back from lab no parasites
Active most ave ever seen him ove the the full day until about 4 pm then he assumes the low restless position
His eye stuck shed has gone
His eye swolleness has gone altogether
His tongue is back to full operation eating very well about 20 medium locust a day today
His right foot still a bit trailing be he flys all over
Basks a few times a day laterally like a Normal Cham
But my only concern is he's mouth in the left side as its always open

Do you have any pics?

This guy sounds to have been in awful shape, it was great of you to take him in.

I hope to hear more of his improvement:)

abady5ap.jpg

y3y5esyh.jpg

e5u6yqys.jpg
9ymemene.jpg
te4ura4e.jpg
ube9udyp.jpg

The last pic shows his bad right forearm at foot
He is ment to be around the 7 month mark but he only weighs 45.23g when I got him he weighed 28.45 grams

Mark

check out the mbd sticky thread. lots of good links to threads about what people have done for their mbd chams. especially check out kerbie's thread and how she splinted the legs. great idea i wish i had when i was going through similar situation.

hoping for the best. you are doing amazing!

Back
Top Bottom