Chameleon cage

That's fair enough, I have no personal experience with URI, however most do say that it is due to bad airflow and high humidity and heat, and that is the only reason I said it. You may well be right.

We were talking about this recently, we think it may be a combo of Stagnant Air + Heat + Humidity and stress or other issues defiantly would make it worse.

That said, the Glass cages we have today have the vents in the lower front. So how these vents work, is by convection.

We have our lights, basking and otherwise, that create heat on the top of of vivariums, which makes the air in the vivarium hot, Hot air by nature will rise. When this happens the tank replaces that hot air, by pulling cold air from the vents in the front.

We can verify this works, and works well by condensation. A high humidity glass cage will have condensation, the only thing that will stop this is the air movement on the glass. So when water drops are not forming on the glass, its because your vents are working.

I am also in line with my views on Kristens above.

A big part of the "Glass Causes RIs" stem from many many years ago, where there was only aquariums, this was before the Vivariums we have now existed. Chameleons were not getting enough ventilation in Aquariums. They were constantly sick, with RIs and other issues, the cages were not supportive of arboreal lifestyle, and were not very well ventilated. That is when cham keepers jumped to the extreme of Screen Cages, and they worked, the RIs stopped.

Not because they would happen in the Vivariums of today, those didn't exist yet, but because of the aquariums of then. So the moniker came about, Dont use Glass tanks (aquariums) they will cause RIs (they did). However when the Vivariums were released, it wasn't emphasized enough the difference when people said glass. So then the vivariums were just thrown in with the aquariums.

The population that began using and loving the Vivariums, tried to tell people but were shot down with "Your going to kill your Cham" so they either swapped to screen, or receded into the darkness using their vivariums in secret, as the Mob Mentality of Glass kills continued to spread, and is just now barely a decade later, starting to finally be corrected.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that I live in Canada. When I first started keeping chameleons in the mid to late 80's I used AQUARIUMS because that's all there was available...and I had no problems with them causing illnesses or RIs in my chameleons....because I created the chimney effect in them by placing the basking lights in one corner so that fresh air was drawn in at the other end of the aquarium. Of course I wouldn't recommend them being used now (except maybe for hatchlings when they first hatch). I then moved to screen because people kept giving me a hard time about the aquariums and found that I ended up with chameleons sitting almost constantly under the basking lights in the winter...so I moved to glass cages with screen fronts and it wasn't much better...they were hard to keep humid enough. I was so glad when the exoterras came out and I found they worked.

All this to say...it depends on your circumstances...where you live, whether you have air conditioning, whether the area is humid or dry, etc.

Each type of caging has its own pluses and minuses. You just have to figure out what works for you...and especially for your chameleon.

Keep in mind that I live in Canada. When I first started keeping chameleons in the mid to late 80's I used AQUARIUMS because that's all there was available...and I had no problems with them causing illnesses or RIs in my chameleons....because I created the chimney effect in them by placing the basking lights in one corner so that fresh air was drawn in at the other end of the aquarium. Of course I wouldn't recommend them being used now (except maybe for hatchlings when they first hatch). I then moved to screen because people kept giving me a hard time about the aquariums and found that I ended up with chameleons sitting almost constantly under the basking lights in the winter...so I moved to glass cages with screen fronts and it wasn't much better...they were hard to keep humid enough. I was so glad when the exoterras came out and I found they worked.

All this to say...it depends on your circumstances...where you live, whether you have air conditioning, whether the area is humid or dry, etc.

Each type of caging has its own pluses and minuses. You just have to figure out what works for you...and especially for your chameleon.
Yup, I wholeheartedly agree with @kinyonga. The goal is to create a space wherein you can achieve the right specs for your species. Glass, screen, hybrid, wood, etc.—they can all be made to work, but some will work better in some circumstances, and others in different circumstances. Even how you heat your house will make a huge difference. Forced air systems dry the air far more than radiant or wood heated glycol. Personally, I’d take measurements from the house, see what specs you’re starting out with, then pick the cage that best suits those specs.

Hi,
I am planning on getting a chameleon. I live in the UK and so the winter gets very cold and it is colder temperatures most of the year. I have researched on whether I should get a mesh cage or glass terrarium and many people say that mesh is better. However, I am hesitant to get a mesh cage because I’m not sure if I will be able to keep up the heat needed for a chameleon as cool drafts will bring down the temp. Looking for advice on whether to get mesh or glass cage and if mesh, how to keep it warm enough, thanks
Hi mate....get fans for the exo terra cage for airflow

Back
Top Bottom