Chameleon cage

petalprintss

Hi,
I am planning on getting a chameleon. I live in the UK and so the winter gets very cold and it is colder temperatures most of the year. I have researched on whether I should get a mesh cage or glass terrarium and many people say that mesh is better. However, I am hesitant to get a mesh cage because I’m not sure if I will be able to keep up the heat needed for a chameleon as cool drafts will bring down the temp. Looking for advice on whether to get mesh or glass cage and if mesh, how to keep it warm enough, thanks

I think you're overthinking it personally - which is not a bad thing! I live in one of the coldest places in the US (colder than anywhere in the UK I believe) and have never had a problem using screen enclosures. I think you should pick what you like best!

Heat isn't really the issue to be worried about, it's humidity that is tougher to deal with in cold climates. Glass will make it easier to maintain humidity, but comes at a higher price point to get an appropriately size enclosure as compared to screen

I think that the best bet is screen, better ventilation in the summer, collapsible and when it comes winter, just wrap a shower curtain around it to keep in humidity and heat!!! the 2x2x4 is the way to go IMO!!! also i recommend making your cage dense in foliage and make sure you have the right lighting to keep up with temp and uvb!!!

I prefer Glass "enclosed".

Some great articles, that contrast the differences.

For everyone who knows you can’t keep chameleons in glass

Keeping Chameleons in Glass Enclosures

Dragonstrand Solid Vs Screen (hybrid cages)

I would read those, and check out Bills Podcast if you would rather have Audio based learning (he mostly just discussed those). From there make a desicion.

Screen is not "Better", in any way shape or form at all period end of discussion. It is different, that does not mean better.

Whether it is "better", depends on the needs and goals of the keeper.

People are going to tell you it's better, because it's what they have, it costs less, and arguably has more room for error, and it has been drilled into them by others.

Is there a way to do the back wall glass, right and left sides screen, door glass and top screen? Bam you’ve got a compromise!

Hi,
I am planning on getting a chameleon. I live in the UK and so the winter gets very cold and it is colder temperatures most of the year. I have researched on whether I should get a mesh cage or glass terrarium and many people say that mesh is better. However, I am hesitant to get a mesh cage because I’m not sure if I will be able to keep up the heat needed for a chameleon as cool drafts will bring down the temp. Looking for advice on whether to get mesh or glass cage and if mesh, how to keep it warm enough, thanks
One is not better then The other !!. You need to look at your own circumstances , climate, humidity , etc . Can you maintain correct humidity/temps with/out wrapping 1/2 the enclosure . Many use glass in the uk and do wonderful . Don’t be afraid of glass just know the needs if you do choose glass .

personally I use dragon strand screen , we live in mass . I started off with Exo it was a fantastic condo but did not work for my first girl . Nothing to do with the enclosure 100% to do with our climate and her personal condition . We made the switch to dragon strand and will never go back . However if I had the need for glass I would get the atrium clear side with no hesitation .

One is not better then The other !!. You need to look at your own circumstances , climate, humidity , etc . Can you maintain correct humidity/temps with/out wrapping 1/2 the enclosure . Many use glass in the uk and do wonderful . Don’t be afraid of glass just know the needs if you do choose glass .

personally I use dragon strand screen , we live in mass . I started off with Exo it was a fantastic condo but did not work for my first girl . Nothing to do with the enclosure 100% to do with our climate and her personal condition . We made the switch to dragon strand and will never go back . However if I had the need for glass I would get the atrium clear side with no hesitation .
Wonder how much it costs to import a Dragonstrand to the UK?!

I'm a big fan of the ExoTerra glass enclosures, myself. To do what I wanted to do (bioactive enclosures), I had to make many more alterations to my screen cage (ReptiBreeze)than I did to my glass one. I'm still not happy with how rickety it is and how quickly it's deteriorating where the substrate makes contact with the frame, and will likely be replacing it with a glass 18x18x36 or 18x24x36 (pending what I can shoehorn onto the existing stand; need to take some measurements!) sometime in the near future.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the ExoTerra glass enclosures, myself. To do what I wanted to do (bioactive enclosures), I had to make many more alterations to my screen cage than I did to my glass one. I'm still not happy with how rickety it is and how quickly it's deteriorating where the substrate makes contact with the frame, and will likely be replacing it with a glass 18x18x36 or 18x24x36 (pending what I can shoehorn onto the existing stand; need to take some measurements!) sometime in the near future.
Amanda what screen cage did you have or do you have i only ask so op knows . I love our exo terra’s , We use them for the beardies . Frances started with exo terra it was great we still have it , with what her condition was and how humid we get in summer we changed to Screen Dragon strand they are fantastic . I agree if one is going glass can’t go wrong with the exo as well as the dragon strand .

Amanda what screen cage did you have or do you have i only ask so op knows . I love our exo terra’s , We use them for the beardies . Frances started with exo terra it was great we still have it , with what her condition was and how humid we get in summer we changed to Screen Dragon strand they are fantastic . I agree if one is going glass can’t go wrong with the exo as well as the dragon strand .

Oh, sorry! Forgot to specify- it's a medium ReptiBreeze. Barely a year old, and already struggling with some rust, even after refinishing it and resealing. I updated my original post - there are plenty of high quality screen cages on the market, but ReptiBreeze aren't amongst them in my experience!

Oh, sorry! Forgot to specify- it's a medium ReptiBreeze. Barely a year old, and already struggling with some rust, even after refinishing it and resealing. I updated my original post - there are plenty of high quality screen cages on the market, but ReptiBreeze aren't amongst them in my experience!
Thank you ❤️. Agreed Reptibreeze do not hold up Infact they tend to fall apart as putting together . Latches and such !.

I'm in the UK, and I understand the struggles. Until a couple of weeks ago, he was in an enclosed wooden Vivarium, which was fine, he did really well in it. And I would've kept him in it had it been big enough, but I found a used reptibreeze for a good price, and he's been living in that since mid January. Both vivariums have specific requirements, for example in the wood, I could mist 3 times a day for <30 seconds, and the humidity kept really well, however, in the reptibreeze, I only just manage to keep the humidity after 1-3 minute mistings 3 or 4 times a day. Another advantage of the wooden one was that the humidity naturally rose to 90-100% at night, without any mistings or water adding. And an advantage of screen is the obvious lower risk of URI.
Both are good, but you need to be able to do it right, so it really depends on specific circumstances in my opinion.

I'm in the UK, and I understand the struggles. Until a couple of weeks ago, he was in an enclosed wooden Vivarium, which was fine, he did really well in it. And I would've kept him in it had it been big enough, but I found a used reptibreeze for a good price, and he's been living in that since mid January. Both vivariums have specific requirements, for example in the wood, I could mist 3 times a day for <30 seconds, and the humidity kept really well, however, in the reptibreeze, I only just manage to keep the humidity after 1-3 minute mistings 3 or 4 times a day. Another advantage of the wooden one was that the humidity naturally rose to 90-100% at night, without any mistings or water adding. And an advantage of screen is the obvious lower risk of URI.
Both are good, but you need to be able to do it right, so it really depends on specific circumstances in my opinion.
URI in my opinion and this is only my opinion I am not a vet . When the Chameleon is already compromised ( immune system ) With out correct air flow and a compromised immune system there’s a higher risk of RI . I think both need to be I play . I do not think it’s do to glass Necessarily . I’m only saying this because I have had both with a girl whom had Constant respiratory infections . One over the other made no difference. We had to maintain certain conditions .

I like glass myself, especially if you live in a cooler climate. With your heat lamps, heating isn't an issue. This lends itself to a "natural" effect of increased humidity at night due to condensation. Most glass enclosure (at least available here in the US) have ample enough ventilation.

My first choice would be the "ZooMed" new paladrium (or however it's spelled, sorry) line. They have an awesome amount of depth before the "ventilation mid rail" to encompass bioactive substrate layer(s) with plenty of room to plant a decent size shrub! These are by far the most expensive option and are relatively new (and maybe not even available to you).

Next would probably be an exoterra. They have a "new model" out with a slightly deeper bottom, but not nearly as deep as the zoomed ones. The downfall for me here is the top latching mechanism and the door latching mechanism. There's nothing wrong with them per se, they just aren't convenient. Any amount of dirt/debris in the door latch and it becomes a pain. The top twisty things have to be PERFECTLY aligned in order to get the lid on/off. These are also slightly over priced for the name tag.

There are 2 other brands - one is "Thrive" and the other Atasuki. The first is a newcomer to compete with Exoterra and ZooMed - we'll see. The second is a Chinese manufacturer. The Thrive brand is cheaper in price, but not as cheap as the Chinese product. In construction, the Thrive is not quite as good as either the ExoTerra or ZooMed brands.

I own one of each brand of glass enclosure, just not the ZooMed Paladrium model specifically. I like the easy and functionality of the Atasuki - it has a "sliding" front door and the top is tabbed. The top also has slide point for misc hoses and wires if you so choose. It is very similar in size to the exoterra and ZooMed for depth to mid rail. It was also fairly inexpensive, but not cheap nor cheaply constructed. The biggest advantage to this brand was that if I wanted to, I can dismantle it and store it flat!

Here are a couple of my boxes... none of my chams live in them and a few are creatureless:

15807672684346737018397032347484.jpg

This is the Atasuki. It houses my gargoyle gecko. Its 18x24x24. I think it was $120ish.

1580767291786653127974433867281.jpg

This is my small exoterra. Happens to be right next to my other one. In the photo you can see the door latch and top latch.

1580767313320663845911232198052.jpg

This is the Thrive branded one. You'll notice it dose NOT have a mid rail vent - it vents at the top and the top front above the door.

I'd have to dig for my ZooMed one, but you get the idea. I also have a bunch of the screen vivs from Exoterra, ZooMed and DIY cages.com as well as my own custom work. I'll be more than happy to answer any questions I can.

Welcome to the hobby!

URI in my opinion and this is only my opinion I am not a vet . When the Chameleon is already compromised ( immune system ) With out correct air flow and a compromised immune system there’s a higher risk of RI . I think both need to be I play . I do not think it’s do to glass Necessarily . I’m only saying this because I have had both with a girl whom had Constant respiratory infections . One over the other made no difference. We had to maintain certain conditions .
That's fair enough, I have no personal experience with URI, however most do say that it is due to bad airflow and high humidity and heat, and that is the only reason I said it. You may well be right.

That's fair enough, I have no personal experience with URI, however most do say that it is due to bad airflow and high humidity and heat, and that is the only reason I said it. You may well be right.
I know most say that but if you think of all the Southern states , keepers that have their chameleons out side do not report issues . I think cold and wet would do the same as warm and wet with out air flow . Agin I have no research or Proof , I’m not a vet , or scientist . I’m soli going off my experience . Along with that my experience was one Chameleon . I have several but only one that had health conditions that resulted in URI .

Back
Top Bottom