Chameleon brown in habitat.

emilymaxine

I have a chameleon I bought yesterday from Petsmart. I bought him everything he needs for his new habitat. He's only a few months old and I made sure to buy him the right size tank. He is always brown when he's in his habitat, but once I take him out he turns a vibrant green. Is this normal or is he unhappy? He's eating and drinking normally.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! :]

If everything is properly setup then just let your chameleon adjust. He will probably brighten up as he gets used to his new home, if hes not sick or has some other issues.

It is normal for them to be dark as they are upset or stressed in their new environement. Now, it would be beneficial for you to fill out this form as the word "Petsmart" is always worrisome. About 99% of what Petsmart advises about chameleon care is incorrect, as is the products they sell for the set up. Here is the form: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

if he is under his basking light thats normal they darken and tend to go puffy(more surface area) to absorb the light and heat better.

if he is under his basking light thats normal they darken and tend to go puffy(more surface area) to absorb the light and heat better.

This is true, but alot of times they are dark when they are stressed as well. For that matter, they can be very colorful when stressed also!!!

Back
Top Bottom