chameleon 1 month old advice?

chamers

i have a 18L x 12 W x 20H cage from zilla ive been doing so much research but i need help because even so i just dont want hi to die, i have rep cal vitamins the calcium with d3 and the multivitam and am get the other calcium soon, he has a 10.0 uvb bulb on this cage with a day light bulb from the zilla kit he get feed small crickets and flightless fruit flies, so the watering is confusing i mist his cage with repitrain for 2 mins afterwards i turn off the lights and he goes to bed, i then wake up at 7 30 am and turn on his light wait 30 mins then water for 2 mins. then i feed him. his poo is white and black rn so i dont think he is dehydrated. the bottom of th tank has nothing on it he has many vines and lil fake trees to climb on. i live in texas so its very humid hre i read they need 30% humidity. so i need a hydrometer which i plan to get. i read your not supposed to have them till there three months so i was very upset to find out he is only a month old, please help me in anyway in husbandry etc any questions or pics needed ill will provide.

i have a 18L x 12 W x 20H cage from zilla ive been doing so much research but i need help because even so i just dont want hi to die, i have rep cal vitamins the calcium with d3 and the multivitam and am get the other calcium soon, he has a 10.0 uvb bulb on this cage with a day light bulb from the zilla kit he get feed small crickets and flightless fruit flies, so the watering is confusing i mist his cage with repitrain for 2 mins afterwards i turn off the lights and he goes to bed, i then wake up at 7 30 am and turn on his light wait 30 mins then water for 2 mins. then i feed him. his poo is white and black rn so i dont think he is dehydrated. the bottom of th tank has nothing on it he has many vines and lil fake trees to climb on. i live in texas so its very humid hre i read they need 30% humidity. so i need a hydrometer which i plan to get. i read your not supposed to have them till there three months so i was very upset to find out he is only a month old, please help me in anyway in husbandry etc any questions or pics needed ill will provide.
Can you post pics please :)

Pics last photo of him eating and uvb 10.0 off rn i want advice on that

Attachments

• 20210422_122437.jpg
    20210422_122437.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210422_122428.jpg
    20210422_122428.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20210422_122420.jpg
    20210422_122420.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210422_122416.jpg
    20210422_122416.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20210421_122912.jpg
    20210421_122912.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 80
I have broken down you post with feedback in bold. If you have questions please ask. :) Welcome to the forum.

i have a 18L x 12 W x 20H cage from zilla ive been doing so much research but i need help because even so i just dont want hi to die, This size will be fine for the next 2 months then you will want to upgrade. Looking at a 2x2x4 enclosure.
i have rep cal vitamins the calcium with d3 and the multivitam and am get the other calcium soon, Ok you want the calcium without D3. This is important. Your rotation will be Calcium without D3 6 days a week and then rotate between the calcium with D3 and the multivitamin week to week. Need the cal without D3 because you have to lightly dust the feeders and the with D3 will overdose him if used more then 2 times a month.
he has a 10.0 uvb bulb on this cage with a day light bulb from the zilla kit Ok I need to confirm that the zilla kit is the T8 fixture with the 10.0 bulb? What are you using in the double dome? Need to know temps babies this young should not be kept hotter then 75ish. Most breeders do not put heat bulbs on them. If they do they lift them 5 or so inches off the top of the cage to avoid thermal burns from them climbing and reduce temps. Get a temp gauge with wired probe to put in at basking level to know your temps below heat. zoomed makes a digital thermometer with probe.

he get feed small crickets and flightless fruit flies, Feed baby as much as it will eat... So food in the morning and in the afternoon. They take down a ton of feeders at this age. You might look into ordering Pin head crickets. You will need a lot of them and ordering is cheaper.

so the watering is confusing i mist his cage with repitrain for 2 mins afterwards i turn off the lights and he goes to bed, i then wake up at 7 30 am and turn on his light wait 30 mins then water for 2 mins. This is ok. Provide a dripper during the day dripping on the leaves. You can use a plastic solo cup and do a tiny pin hole for a slow drip set it on top of the cage.

then i feed him. his poo is white and black rn so i dont think he is dehydrated. if the urate portion is white then baby is hydrated.
the bottom of th tank has nothing on it he has many vines and lil fake trees to climb on. i live in texas so its very humid hre i read they need 30% humidity. so i need a hydrometer which i plan to get. Get a govee gauge just do not place it in a direct spray path. looking for a 25-50%max. here is the link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R586J37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i read your not supposed to have them till there three months so i was very upset to find out he is only a month old, please help me in anyway in husbandry etc any questions or pics needed ill will provide.

Additional resource with accurate info to learn from. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Welcome to the forum @chamers !

You said..."i have a 18L x 12 W x 20H cage from zilla ive been doing so much research but i need help because even so i just dont want hi to die"...screen or glass or ???

You said " i have rep cal vitamins the calcium with d3 and the multivitam and am get the other calcium soon"... You need a phos free calcium to dust lightly on the insects just before feeding them to your chameleon at all feedings but one a week. On that one feeding you should alternate between phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and a vitamin powder that contains a prEformed source of vitamin A in it.

You said..."he has a 10.0 uvb bulb on this cage with a day light bulb from the zilla kit"...what brand of light is the UVB? Is the day light bulb giving off white light?

You said..."he get feed small crickets and flightless fruit flies
so the watering is confusing i mist his cage with repitrain for 2 mins afterwards i turn off the lights and he goes to bed, i then wake up at 7 30 am and turn on his light wait 30 mins then water for 2 mins. then i feed him.

You said..."his poo is white and black rn so i dont think he is dehydrated"...sounds ok

You said..."the bottom of th tank has nothing on it he has many vines and lil fake trees to climb on"... Real or fake?

You said..."i live in texas so its very humid hre i read they need 30% humidity. so i need a hydrometer which i plan to get"...good.

You said..."i read your not supposed to have them till there three months so i was very upset to find out he is only a month old, please help me in anyway in husbandry etc any questions or pics needed ill will provide"...hopefully all will go well.

so i was saying i am working on getting cal without d3 thats the only one no one seems to sell locally. i have a temp reader i can get u the temp which is 77 at his basking point 63 at the lowest part of cage, the double lamp is just one blue daylight bulb>>
Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Lamp, slide 1 of 3 Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Lamp that comes in the kit and the long light the uvb is Zoo Med ReptiSun T8 10.0 UVB Lamp, 18" Length < and a red solo cup omg why didnt i think of that! ty. i will get the item you recommend ty so much! and none of my local stores have pinheads any help on that? and how would you suggest it be lifted off the cage. i watch the one lady who has chams on youtube she has so much info just not for 1 month old chams
and should chams get brighter colors on ther male bodies he has like light brown lines on him

Color

Attachments

• 20210422_125755.jpg
    20210422_125755.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210422_125732.jpg
    20210422_125732.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210422_125723.jpg
    20210422_125723.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 76
so i was saying i am working on getting cal without d3 thats the only one no one seems to sell locally. i have a temp reader i can get u the temp which is 77 at his basking point 63 at the lowest part of cage, the double lamp is just one blue daylight bulb>>
Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Lamp, slide 1 of 3 Zoo Med Daylight Blue Reptile Lamp that comes in the kit and the long light the uvb is Zoo Med ReptiSun T8 10.0 UVB Lamp, 18" Length < and a red solo cup omg why didnt i think of that! ty. i will get the item you recommend ty so much! and none of my local stores have pinheads any help on that? and how would you suggest it be lifted off the cage. i watch the one lady who has chams on youtube she has so much info just not for 1 month old chams
and should chams get brighter colors on ther male bodies he has like light brown lines on him
77 is within limits... Only worry is temp on the screen if baby decides to hang under it.

Ok so with that zoom med T8 I want you to make sure that the fixture does not have a plastic piece covering the bulbs. Also your distance needs to accommodate screen climbing the top. You want to prop that fixture on the sides up 2 inches. Then the closest branch below it should be 4-5 measured inches below the screen. So your total distance will work out to 6-7 inches. But with it lifted 2 inches if baby decides to hang on the ceiling below it he will not be exposed to extreme UVI levels from the bulb.

Ordering feeders is far cheaper... There are quite a few. I personally order from rainbowmealworms.com. Here is another one I have heard good things about https://www.thecritterdepot.com/products/bulk-crickets-for-sale

Lifting fixtures... You can get a wire rack for it to sit on. then you can place the heat fixture on top of the wire shelf and pick your distance when you put it together. You can get this and modify the mounting plate to drill it into the corner of the cage frame... But your cage is tiny and I do not know if it will support it. https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Ho...=lamp+bracket+exo+terra&qid=1619114741&sr=8-1
Even a wall bracket for hanging a plant could be used.

You have a veiled. We tell gender by looking at the back of the back feet for tarsal spurs. baby is still very small they may be hard to spot.

Also lift his day light and uvb bulb?
Yes, But specifically how I say to here...
With that zoom med T8 I want you to make sure that the fixture does not have a plastic piece covering the bulbs. Also your distance needs to accommodate screen climbing the top. You want to prop that fixture on the sides up 2 inches. Then the closest branch below it should be 4-5 measured inches below the screen. So your total distance will work out to 6-7 inches. But with it lifted 2 inches if baby decides to hang on the ceiling below it he will not be exposed to extreme UVI levels from the bulb.

btw since he is so small is a basking vine ok? i know ppl have basking tree or somethin and the fact that the plants are fake is that ok?

btw since he is so small is a basking vine ok? i know ppl have basking tree or somethin and the fact that the plants are fake is that ok?
Real plants are always better. But at this age babies do not tend to eat their plants... Once baby gets a bit older that will change and they should be traded out for real plants. Here is a link for safe plants. You would choose the Veiled tested options only.
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

And your welcome more then happy to help.

Back
Top Bottom