Chamaeleo melleri

daveo

Established Member
I am thinking of taking the plunge into the world of giant chameleons. I have seen the parsoni, but I really like the Chamaeleo melleri. Does anyone have information about these guys? I currently have a single male jacksons so I know i can keep the humidity and temperature correct for montane species so i think they are close to what is needed for the Chamaeleo melleri. I am still researching and have not yet purchased. it took me 6 months to research the Jacksons before I got him so I am sure it will be a while before I dive in. Any help or links would be greatly appreciated.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
DaveO

Hi, i am a new melleri owner. Bought a c/b baby in Aug of this year. I am nuts about him. But I keep other montanes, and mellers need a bit different care. Little Rah has a morning shower that is 20 minutes long. That is a lot of spraying, without my mistking I couldn't do it. Here is a link to the best Melleri site I know. I will try to amswer questions but we have melleri owners here who know what they are doing - I am still learning.:(

http://www.melleridiscovery.com/

You made a great choice choosing a melleri & I also agree with Laurie with the link she attached as far as care for them. I will also be getting another melleri in Jan...good luck

Take your time and find a cb one. Acclimatting wc's can get tricky and without prior exp with mellers I'd get a cb to insure starting with an animal in good health. ;)

Def a cool species and one Ive admired for quite a while...

Sounds like you have prior exp with mellers though. For someone who is just starting with this species I'd say cb is the way to go. Why start with a compromised adult when cb's come along fairly often. I just saw some for sale a few months ago on KS. Some wc's just wont acclimate to caged life no matter the care given. Its alot easier acclimatting a cham that was raised in captivity than a stressed wc thats seen less than optimal care during capture and importation.

Yea... I would agree, if you can, wait for CB. Wild caught can be pretty tricky to acclimate. Although if you find a FRESH import that hasn't been put through the ringer with poor husbandry at a dealers or pet shop for too long, that may not be such a bad choice either. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom