Cham wanting to come out of cage?

Chameleon87

I've noticed recently that my cham wants to come out of his cage more and more every time I open the front door and feed him. Sometimes he will eat and then do this, or just want to come out first.

Does anyone have any ideas about this new behavior?

bored and looking for some new territory, you can try rearranging the cage. Also if the cage is positioned so that he can't be higher than you, he may be looking for a higher area.

I've noticed recently that my cham wants to come out of his cage more and more every time I open the front door and feed him. Sometimes he will eat and then do this, or just want to come out first.

From what I have heard chams pretty much only do that when they aren't happy with their cage. Is the cage kept clean? Bottom not soaked? Is there plenty of climbing areas for the cham? Try rearranging the branches around or provide him/her with more branches. Hope this helps?

Let him come out and roam around.

Thats how my chameleon was. We then got rid of his big cage and purchased 2 trees from walmart. We put it by the window so he can get natural sunlight during the summer days. We covered the back wall with plastic for water protection. We laid plastic on the ground for his poop. We have his uvb/heat light near his feeding area at the bottom between the 2 trees and he goes there every morning. He never leaves his tree except to go by the window during the summer for natural sunlight. We purchased some vine leave things and sticks and put them around the trees. He hasnt left his house for almost 1 year! I took this picture earlier today. Then I went to upload it, and it took me a good while to find that little bugger hanging out. WHERES CHEERY... I MEAN WALDO!!

Attachments

• cheerys house.JPG
    cheerys house.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 190
Thats how my chameleon was. We then got rid of his big cage and purchased 2 trees from walmart. We put it by the window so he can get natural sunlight during the summer days. We covered the back wall with plastic for water protection. We laid plastic on the ground for his poop. We have his uvb/heat light near his feeding area at the bottom between the 2 trees and he goes there every morning. He never leaves his tree except to go by the window during the summer for natural sunlight. We purchased some vine leave things and sticks and put them around the trees. He hasnt left his house for almost 1 year! I took this picture earlier today. Then I went to upload it, and it took me a good while to find that little bugger hanging out. WHERES CHEERY... I MEAN WALDO!!

Do you open the window? The uv can not pass through glass.

I like your free range tree. I have those for my chams too and they love it!

LOL I knew that silly Jannb! Its a great idea, those free range trees. Well the lady I got my chameleon from said she lets hers free range, so we were like, hey, why not. What could go wrong! Obviously, nothing yet or else I wouldnt still have them, right! You should try it Chameleon87. Your cham might love it!

freerange it! if it still likes is cage setup enough, it'll try and climb back in. I once left Orbit in my balcony garden too long i guess because i found him scratching on the door to get in :D i agree with lancecham, if you're lucky enough to not have a monster in a cage (like my new veiled, Cleopatra:() let it out and explore the rest of the house!........ oh and be ready to spend tens of minutes looking for it >_<

I would really like to free range him, especially since he is such an explorer. However friendly he is though I don't he and my ferret would get along (even though my ferret is the most docile and friendly guy!) Anyways not chancing that!

My guy kept trying to get out and would usually walk onto my arms when offered for the last month or two, then last week I got a bigger cage and when I open the door he tends just to go upwards (I am now below the chameleon) above the roof of the cage if he bothers leaving at all. Maybe when he settles down more it will be differnet.

I find if I take my guy out he will settle down in only a matter of seconds if I sit down but if walk around he will panic, climb upwards and reach for anything, even when there's nothing to reach for.

I can't really free range as I have a room full of chams, but I have a area about 8' by 3' that has a table with a tree on eavh end and the table is covered with plants. My kids have to learn to share, Most of them are allowed time out of their cages. At least they are now until I find a cb baby melleri? Hello, and one cooking melleri??

laurie that table sounds awesome :) i wish i could fulltime freerange my male veiled, but i have a hard time maintaining temps in my apartmemt (drafty) so he goes back in his cage to warm plus he only craps in his super secret places in his cage, without that i think he'd hold it until he died :eek: he house broke himself

laurie that table sounds awesome :) i wish i could fulltime freerange my male veiled, but i have a hard time maintaining temps in my apartmemt (drafty) so he goes back in his cage to warm plus he only craps in his super secret places in his cage, without that i think he'd hold it until he died :eek: he house broke himself

My two chams go to the bathroom in the exact spot every time and at about the same time.....right around 10 am. I guess animals are just like that because my dog also likes one corner of the backyard, too.

Back
Top Bottom